Talk

Advanced search

to expect a pair of boots to last more than 3 wears?

(11 Posts)
WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Mon 23-May-16 10:12:51

Dd has a new pair of docs.
She has walked in them 3 times. Never been in the park or climbed in them.

The soles are destroyed at the ends. Unmarked in the middles as hardly used.

wolfwhistleme Mon 23-May-16 10:22:54

Looks like they've been damaged somehow. If you still have receipt its worth trying to get them exchanged after such a short time.

ItGoesWithoutSaying Mon 23-May-16 10:40:12

I would take them back and complain. Docs aren't cheap and should last. I have a pair bought in the 1990s and worn on and off which, although worn down, look better than that. I also have newer pairs that still look good after many wears.

blinkowl Mon 23-May-16 10:48:24

I misread as years, and thought WTF, that's bloody brilliant for 3 years!

For 3 wears, that's not great at all. I'd take them back.

I had a pair of docs - not the traditional ones but these. I put them in the bin last week as the upper completely came off the sole, and the soles had holes in. They were ruined, after about 6 months of wear. Admittedly I did wear them all the time! But I wore my docs as a teenager all the time and they lasted years! Surely they should last more than 6 months before literally falling apart?

QuimWilde Mon 23-May-16 10:50:51

Docs are rubbish these days. My last pair lasted all of three months before the soles wore through. The pair I had in the early 90s lasted about six years - the leather perished before the soles did.

OP, return them - you'll be entitled to a refund.

ofshoes Mon 23-May-16 10:57:29

Doctor Martens aren't made in the UK anymore, the quality has gone right down the toilet since they moved manufacturing to Thailand. Old ones would have lasted a lifetime but not anymore

ItGoesWithoutSaying Mon 23-May-16 11:40:14

Doctor Martens aren't made in the UK anymore, the quality has gone right down the toilet since they moved manufacturing to Thailand.

Even so, they should be better. I've a pair that are over two years old (black leather, same style as above) worn 2-3 times a week except in summer and they still look pretty new. Just a bit worn down on the heel where you would expect.

pickledparsnip Mon 23-May-16 11:44:40

They are completely shit now. I have bought a short biker pull on style for the past 3 years. I do wear them shedloads, but the soles wear down incredibly quickly. They basically last one season. My last pair ended up with a big split across the sole.

(Reminds self not to buy anymore DMs)

ofshoes Mon 23-May-16 11:55:23

Even so, they should be better

absolutely, it's not like there was a drop in price when they moved it or anything, they're still a fairly expensive pair of shoes that I would expect to last longer than a few months!

Apparently the rubber formula was changed and that's why the soles crap out so quickly now.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Mon 23-May-16 12:18:06

Took them back.
Shop were really helpful, but they didn't have another pair to swap for.

mirime Mon 23-May-16 12:36:32

My first pair lasted 16 years, and were worn a lot!

Last pair I've had 12 years now, need to get them re-soled as I stood on broken glass and if I wear them in the wet water leaks in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now