Talk

Advanced search

To ask how you store your breast milk?

(9 Posts)
BoopTheSnoot Sat 21-May-16 23:12:20

I'm four days PP with DS2. I ended up formula feeding my first baby, but this time I've found it so much easier that I want to continue breastfeeding. Now that my milk has come in properly, I'm so engorged that I want to express (plus it means that DH can do his share of night feeds grin)
I'm all set to go, I've got my pump and all the kit but I'm not sure how best to store the milk. Or how long it can be safely kept before discarding. Any tips?

OwlinaTree Sat 21-May-16 23:15:36

Don't start to pump too much yet. Your body is just adjusting to how much milk you need, if you pump too much too soon you will have litres!

I put mine in the freezer in little bags from i think tesco? They were breast milk bags.

TormundGiantsbabe Sat 21-May-16 23:16:10

Check out kellymom for everything you need to know. Although I would wait a few weeks (6 to 8 at the earliest) before handing over any night feeds to your Dh just to let your supply get established properly.

Gardenbirds123 Sat 21-May-16 23:17:29

Why not just express a bottle a day for the night feed? Use that night.

Otherwise
www.babycentre.co.uk/x553833/whats-the-best-way-to-store-breastmilk
I tend to store in the bottle I will use to give IT as less faff. But I hear some use freezer bags
Be warned though expressing will encourage more milk production so may not be what you want to do!

SnuffleGruntSnorter Sat 21-May-16 23:18:41

I use the freezer bags, you can get them on Amazon

Tellmeagain Sun 22-May-16 00:09:50

I bought some Tommee Tippee breast milk storage bags for the freezer that are handy because they freeze flat and you can write on the number of mls, date stored etc and they haven't split while defrosting which some other bags do.

Like you I started expressing to give myself some flexibility and so my husband could give the occasional bottle and I bought a set of Avent storage cups which are great. They are easily sterilised, compact to store and you can write details on the lids and the side of the cups and they stack easily in the fridge/freezer. Someone also said they're great to use while weaning and for transporting eg fruit or yoghurt in too so should come in handy later too. www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00S5T5BYS/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_a_it?qid=1463871789&sr=8-2&keywords=avent+storage+cups&dpPl=1&dpID=41dBt7c0X8L&ref=plSrch

Tellmeagain Sun 22-May-16 00:10:51

Oh and after expressing milk can be kept at room temperature for six hours, at the back of the fridge for six days and stored in the freezer for six months.

AgathaMystery Sun 22-May-16 00:40:12

Okay here is how you store EBM:

1. Buy lansinoh storage bags. They are the absolute best. Believe me, I tried them all.
2. clear space in freezer, enough for a shoe box (cut one down if needed). Your bags will be the exact length of the width of a shoebox. Clear another tiny space (can be on top of piszza box etc. MUST be flat.
3. Express milk.
4. Write date/ amount on bag with a sharpie.
5. Measure EBM into 100ml portions and pour into the bags (use 200ml at first until you learn how much EBM baby will take).
6. Squeeze all air out of bags, now lie the bag flat and freeze.
7. When bag is frozen it will be really thin & flat. 'File' it in the shoebox.
8. Repeat, filing from the back. You will be able to defrost these in seconds under a warm tap.
9. As baby gets bigger you can move up to 150/ 200ml portions.

DorotheaHomeAlone Sun 22-May-16 00:50:46

Good advice above about storage but please wait until the engorgement passes. Your body needs to learn how much kill your baby needs. If you express a lot at this stage you may find yourself producing a lot more milk than needed and will stretch out the horrible engorgment stage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now