Talk

Advanced search

To ask about child maintenance

(58 Posts)
EatDickShrek Sat 21-May-16 19:04:56

Hi there. I don't have kids myself but am a fairly long term lurker on mn. I have been consistently shocked by the ease with which dead-beat dads get away with not supporting their children. I was wandering if anyone with experience would be willing to discuss changes they feel would make a difference in our child maintenance system. Thanks.

NapQueen Sat 21-May-16 19:08:20

For your news article?

FayKorgasm Sat 21-May-16 19:12:03

Snap Nap .

EatShitDerek Sat 21-May-16 19:14:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AndTakeYourPenguinWithYou Sat 21-May-16 19:16:04

No. And if they did want to talk about it there is a section for journo requests. hmm

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Sat 21-May-16 19:16:25

CupidsArrows Sat 21-May-16 19:19:20

Not particularly.

MuttonCadet Sat 21-May-16 19:19:36

I thought that was you at first eatshitderek.

SaveSomeSpendSome Sat 21-May-16 19:25:58

Same here mutton

CantWaitForWarmWeather Sat 21-May-16 19:27:20

grin OP at least act like you're not a journalist!

And I thought the same too Mutton.

RortyCrankle Sat 21-May-16 19:40:28

REALLY subtle OP hmm

SeeYouLaterAlligator Sat 21-May-16 19:42:52

Surely a journalist would know it's 'wondering' not 'wandering' but then again, I've read the Daily Mail recently and it doesn't seem to be a prerequisite to be able to spell anymore...

EatShitDerek Sat 21-May-16 19:54:31

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sat 21-May-16 19:57:46

Shame.
The only Derek I knew was lovely.
He died far too young.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sat 21-May-16 19:58:41

As for changes...

Make the system work?

abbsismyhero Sat 21-May-16 20:01:40

if you're serious the most obvious answer is make them pay hmm stop people from claiming they earn a small amount of money (self employed) and still manage to afford new cars holidays mortgage payments that are above and beyond what they claim they "earn" have an organisation with the ability for rational thought and i do think that HMRC should link into it and be able to give up to date and accurate recordings of a nrp income they should also be able to trawl their bank accounts (like housing benefits can) this service should be offered free to domestic abuse sufferers

do i get commision?

EatDickShrek Sat 21-May-16 20:34:51

Not a journo no. A dyslexic ( thanks autocorrect) psychology undergrad with an interest in feminist issues and an understanding that feminism can often throw mothers under the bus. I doubt the Fail give enough of a shit about single mums to ask. I was just wandering what reforms folk thought would be useful. Criminalising non-payment like the US? Investigation of self employment?

Sorry if I've upset anyone. Derek I just loved your username and remembered a thread where you suggested EatShitEric as a possible imposter name and it made me laugh.

EatDickShrek Sat 21-May-16 20:35:52

Thanks Abbsis smile

FayKorgasm Sat 21-May-16 20:37:24

Feminism does not throw mothers under the bus.

KittensandKnitting Sat 21-May-16 20:40:58

It's not just men who don't pay maintenance or leave their children.

AyeAmarok Sat 21-May-16 20:41:46

Yes. Criminalising, removal of driving licence, making CM arrears a properly enforceable debt that affects your credit rating.

I also think the amount of the minimum needs increased for the unemployed, lowest paid and self-employed people (especially those who don't have any contact). Rather than a £5 a week out of JSA, it should be £20. And enforceable.

MyKingdomForBrie Sat 21-May-16 20:43:27

Bit weird to make a username that looks so much like a well known posters...

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Sat 21-May-16 20:49:26

Bogeyface Sat 21-May-16 20:52:59

Well taking you at face value....

I agree that for most men the thing that would hit them the hardest would be unpaid maintenance payments counting against them on their credit rating. Obviously this wont affect those who dont care about such things so 6 months worth of non payment should lead to revoking of driving licence (with NO exeptions) which is only given back when regular payments, plus arrears, have been made for 3 months. If this doesnt happen then jail. Again, no exceptions with one week per month of payments missed.

Bogeyface Sat 21-May-16 20:53:27

one week jail time per month, with full time served.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now