To cancel?

(8 Posts)
DreamCloud99 Sat 21-May-16 16:54:14

I had made plans for today to meet an old friend for breakfast .

We had arranged to meet a few weeks ago but I had to cancel last minute as I was unwell .

I have ME .

I've now come down with cystitis and I feel like I have lots of flu like symptoms .

I'm so tired I can barely muster the energy to sit upright .

I've cancelled on my friend again and she is not happy sad.

She called me and begged me to come meet her for "just a few hours " , "it's been so long , I'm gutted " and so on.

I feel awful for letting her down again . But I also feel physically bloody awful.

I don't feel she understands my illness at all and I wouldn't expect her to as she doesn't see me living with it .

Should I have just sucked it up and gone? I'm feeling guilty and as if I'm "playing it up" confused

SweetieDrops Sat 21-May-16 16:56:19

YANBU, if you're not well enough to go then that's that. I feel like crap when I get a UTI and that's without ME on top of it.

HooplaLoopla1 Sat 21-May-16 16:59:28

Agree with Sweetie - she's not much of a friend if she can't understand you're not well and not up to meeting up with her. Maybe give it a couple of days and get her a card and maybe explain to her in it about M.E and what knock on effects it can have.

TheSnowFairy Sat 21-May-16 17:45:43

Does she have young children?

Beeziekn33ze Sat 21-May-16 17:51:18

Of course you are not BU. Your friend appears to have no understanding of your illness. 'A few hours' seems a long time for breakfast.
You probably don't want company but did she offer to come round and bring or make breakfast, perhaps shop for you? I guess not.
Wishing you better 💐

WhereYouLeftIt Sat 21-May-16 18:02:39

"She called me and begged me to come meet her for "just a few hours " , "it's been so long , I'm gutted " and so on."
Just a few hours shock? If that's the plans-lite, how long was the original breakfast plan going to run?

AgentProvocateur Sat 21-May-16 18:03:29

My friend has recently cancelled twice on me (it's definitely not you, OP, as I was never meeting her for breakfast wink). What she doesn't know is that I put off a weekend away with DH as I had arranged to meet her for Saturday lunch, and also declined a work event the previous time. I understand she's ill, but having arranged my work/time off around our "dates" and been cancelled at short notice both times, I won't be going out my way to arrange to meet her again. Maybe your friend had put herself out to be able to meet you?

DreamCloud99 Sat 21-May-16 18:25:55

No young children and no other commitments in terms of arranging care or time off etc .

I do feel really bad but there's nothing I can do . I've been in bed all day .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now