AIBU - day out with students - unhappy with arrangements.

(41 Posts)
changedname563 Sat 21-May-16 09:36:25

I work in a school as a TA, students aged 12/13 are having a day out soon.

Leaving school at 10.45 and walking approx. 2 1/2 miles to a local nature area to take photos. Have a picnic and walk back for 3pm.

We will be going regardless of the weather.

My concern is the lack of toilet facilities - there are NONE. Is the school BU to expect students/staff to go on the trip?

oldspeckledtam Sat 21-May-16 10:30:54

Yeah, I wouldn't be happy. Have you asked if there is a contingency plan? I work with teens, at least one of them will need the loo. And what about girls on their period? I was really heavy at that age and needed to change frequently....

Creampastry Sat 21-May-16 10:31:56

That's terrible!!

apple1992 Sat 21-May-16 10:32:03

As an adult j would worry about lack of toilet facilities!! Not sure I'd last!

Ginmakesitallok Sat 21-May-16 10:32:30

Totally unreasonable

apple1992 Sat 21-May-16 10:33:24

Are you sure there aren't toilets on the route or at the nature spot?

I have had to hide in the bushes to go for a wee whilst on a long walk with unruly (at risk of exclusion) teens!

Fourarmsv2 Sat 21-May-16 10:45:15

We did similar. I went by car and took a kampa khazi with me. Period = urgent upset tummy for me. sad

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Sat 21-May-16 10:47:53

This isn't good enough. Pee and poo requirements are one thing but what about girls on their period and any kids with bowel issues ie ibs.

honkinghaddock Sat 21-May-16 10:59:01

I've been on after school or weekend outdoor school trips where your only option was the bushes but these weren't compulsory and everyone knew the score.

SoupDragon Sat 21-May-16 11:02:01

Is this the first time they have run the trip?

MrsHathaway Sat 21-May-16 11:08:09

No toilet for over four hours? Unacceptable.

I think you're right to express your concerns, probably in a "oh I didn't know there were toilets there" way if you don't want to be too negative.

DailyMailFodder Sat 21-May-16 11:14:19

YANBU

I couldn't last that long if I was on my period. It would be messy. confused

EarthboundMisfit Sat 21-May-16 11:39:46

YANBU.

Bravada Sat 21-May-16 11:46:56

YANBU. I don't think that's a workable plan. Go on a coach with an onboard toilet maybe instead? Or walk to the nature area, then on to a cafe for lunch instead of the picnic? To expect people to go more than 4 hours without toilet facilities is just ridiculous.

blublutoo Sat 21-May-16 12:12:40

Seriously ridiculous. I wee a lot. I sometimes don't even have to drink much either. I wee probably at least once an hour. I don't really count I just know I wee a lot. I would not be able to cope without toilets.

changedname563 Sat 21-May-16 12:22:02

Thank you all!

There are NO facilities such as cafe and no chance of a coach (costs to much).

This trip has been run 3 times (I think) - and there has always been complaints. Usually with year 7's (slightly less chance of girls with periods), not the year 8's.

It is just something that students and staff are expected to do....

Spermysextowel Sat 21-May-16 12:29:45

My 15 yr old son had to have his entire colon removed 6 months ago. He has no control over his remaining small bowel & could not go on a trip where he could not empty his bag when he needed to.
From my POV the school is being U

IAmAPaleontologist Sat 21-May-16 12:32:40

Lack of toilet isn't a problem. Lack of a plan (nappy sacks,loo roll, alcohol gel, identified areas to hide behind a bush) is a problem.

Spermysextowel Sat 21-May-16 12:46:21

I think lack of a toilet is a problem for anyone older than about 7

sharknad0 Sat 21-May-16 12:50:20

Completely ridiculous.

The periods have been mentioned before, but is the school really expected students to poop in the wood? It's disgusting for everybody. We complain about dog mess, but human mess is even worst!

Balletgirlmum Sat 21-May-16 12:51:30

Dd started her periods in year 8. She was so heavy that even with medication she has to change every 90 mins - 2 hours maximum.

I wouldn't allow her to go.

PinkBallerina Sat 21-May-16 13:00:48

My DD (6yrs old) does this type trip every month with her class. They do it come rain, sun (41 degrees on one day), snow (almost a meter on one occasion). All the kids in the school up to 15 yrs old take part every month. They ares schooled in the Alps not UK, BTW.

The school has built an excellent toilet for the kids, and staff, which they carry to the forest. Essentially it is a wooden seat which sits in a hole in the groud which they dig. They also have a mini bin, so anything more than a wee wee can be picked up and put in the bin. And alcohol hand gel is provided. There is sawdust to sprinkle if the kids want to hide their poops. The kids are only 5&6 but are very sensible about it all. As a group they select a private spot suitable for their makeshift loo and set it up. Maybe the school could try something like that?

treeagate Sat 21-May-16 13:08:10

Hi

I'm a TA in a school here in the UK. Have the school risk assessed the trip ? I believe they are not meeting the welfare requirements for children which state you must provide toilets and access to running water. Should children be required to pee in the bushes this would be a massive safeguarding risk.

I would attack this from a health and safety and safeguarding angle. If you get no joy from the head try you LEA. Could you suggest this to a close parent friend you have so that you are not in the firing line?

MrsHathaway Sat 21-May-16 13:09:51

Pink - that sounds remarkable but it doesn't solve privacy issues or menstruation issues.

PinkBallerina Sat 21-May-16 13:14:40

MrsHathaway they select a private spot designated for the toilet, they do this as a group and everybody is expected to respect this. There is sawdust to cover up any poops or other mess like blood and there is a small bin too for pads and tampons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now