Talk

Advanced search

A disabled parking one ...

(45 Posts)
NoCapes Fri 20-May-16 21:12:12

My mum is disabled, has a blue badge although she doesn't 'look disabled' (whatever the hell that means) so always gets funny looks and a few comments when using disabled bays

So tonight we went out and parked in a disabled bay, she put her badge in and we started to walk in
The disabled bay was sort of to the back of the venue we were going into and someone that worked there popped her head out of the back door and said they were saving the bay for their disabled friend and asked if we could move
I said "well actually we've got a blue badge so we're parked there"
She looked us both up and down and said "well my friend is in a wheelchair"
I basically just repeated that we had a blue badge, were there first and we were staying there
She said "so you're going to let my friend in a wheelchair park further away than you and you can walk?"
I said "this isn't disability top trumps, my Mum is disabled, we're in a disabled bay, we are not moving end of conversation"
And we went inside

So, who WBU?

wasonthelist Fri 20-May-16 21:14:45

Yanbu and the top trumps line was genius.

EverySongbirdSays Fri 20-May-16 21:15:16

Speaking as a wheelchair user - YANBU. You take the space that's available that you're entitled to - nobody can reserve any space for anyone who hasn't yet arrived and she was extremely rude.

witsender Fri 20-May-16 21:16:14

If she's in a wheelchair she can get across a car park better than someone hobbling tbh. Regardless, yanbu of course.

EverySongbirdSays Fri 20-May-16 21:16:47

Oh? And she works there? FUCKING COMPLAIN.

My friend has MS. Doesn't look disabled. Still has MS.

TheFairyCaravan Fri 20-May-16 21:18:34

YANBU at all.

Please complain about her. She can't just save a disabled space because her friend is turning up later.

DailyMailFodder Fri 20-May-16 21:20:00

If she's in a wheelchair she can get across a car park better than someone hobbling tbh. Regardless, yanbu of course

Agreed, (Assuming there are some nice wide spaces for her elsewhere)

DontFeedTheDailyFail Fri 20-May-16 21:20:42

Please let the venue know what happened. Doesn't have to be a complaint if you don't fancy the agro but might promot a bit of staff training.

We've been questioned for using disabled access systems (Autistic and dyspraxic DS) and if I get into conversation about it with people DS shuts down and our trip out can be cut short.

Love the disability top trumps. I'm always good in retrospect with comebacks, they never come to me at the right time.

FutureGadgetsLab Fri 20-May-16 21:22:09

YANBU. If there's two disabled people and one space, the one who got there first gets it.

HooplaLoopla1 Fri 20-May-16 21:23:12

YANBU. Disability top trumps though...😂

MrsJayy Fri 20-May-16 21:25:48

Yanbu and ^^5 disabled top trumps grin

NoCapes Fri 20-May-16 21:27:40

I was rather proud of my top trumps line grin
I usually think of the perfect comeback 3 days later

Glad to hear a wheelchair user agrees its first come first served too, we actually did have a conversation once we got inside and questioned whether the other person was 'more disabled' than my mum
Then realised that was ridiculous and who the hell would decide
Then realised the other disabled person wasn't even there!

I will mention it to the venue, we didn't tonight as didn't want to cause a scene or anything but I will give them a ring Monday morning when it's quieter I think

Scribblegirl Fri 20-May-16 21:29:23

My dad's in a wheelchair and I've yelled at my fair share of cunts ignorant types over the years. YANBU.

If she can't get to the venue from the disabled parking, the venue needs to sort their parking.

SanityClause Fri 20-May-16 21:32:02

Was there no other disabled spot, though? I usually notice that there always seem to be spare disabled spaces (as of course is only right - there are usually plenty of spare ordinary spaces, too).

Anyway, YANBU. It was pretty low of her to try to guilt trip your mum into moving.

PurpleDaisies Fri 20-May-16 21:32:07

Another yanbu. Both had blue badges? First come first served.

NoCapes Fri 20-May-16 22:12:18

There was other spaces but a bit further away, I didn't look whether there was any free tbh

mineofuselessinformation Fri 20-May-16 22:20:11

I've resorted to 'if you think I've done anything wrong, then report me' in the past (not my blue badge, a dc's).
It usually stops them in their tracks.

Littleallovertheshop Fri 20-May-16 22:21:13

YANBU - I'd also complain.

MrsJayy Fri 20-May-16 22:24:11

I have had the look parking in disabled spaces nobody has had the brass neck to say anything though

Eeyore86 Fri 20-May-16 22:28:43

YADefinatelyNBU!!
A disabled badge means you can park in the space and as you said top trumps doesn't come into it!
I alter between using crutches and my (new) wheelchair the amount of people I've had shouting at me for parking in a space with my blue badge is unbelievable and it's because I'm under 30, therefore too young to be disabled (wish someone told my genetic condition that)

You did nothing wrong and whilst it can be annoying if there isn't a disabled space available and may mean in some cases people can't do what they want to do (if I needed to use my chair and only normal parking spaces are available I won't be able to get it out but that isn't anyone's fault) it isn't your fault there wasnt a space available, keep using the badge

MammaTJ Fri 20-May-16 22:33:33

Someone who struggles to walk certainly wins over a wheelchair user with some to fight their corner push their wheelchair!!

YANBU!

EweAreHere Fri 20-May-16 22:36:16

YADNBU.

And please do call the venue to have a word. Their employee was completely out of line.

Samcro Fri 20-May-16 22:39:39

Yanbu
Lol mn is weird

Samcro Fri 20-May-16 22:42:09

And people please stop with the shite about wheelchairs being some how easier, they are not.
Thats how the TABS divede us

PurpleDaisies Fri 20-May-16 22:43:07

Tabs samcro?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now