Talk

Advanced search

AIBU? To be upset with a year 4 teacher?

(41 Posts)
Elianna Fri 20-May-16 19:55:24

Hi all,
This is my first post so please be gentle with me. My dc's year 4 teacher is leaving after the May holidays, so my dc will have a new teacher. The new teacher was introduced to the class today and apparently a few of the children were playing up, so the teacher told them to be quiet and said that they weren't going to deal with this kind of crap! I know it's not the swear word of the century but I felt it was unprofessional and I try to bring my dcs up to be polite and respectful. The teacher went on to use the word crap several times throughout the day, not aimed directly at my child but I still don't like it! I'm also not sure how and if I should approach it, as I don't want my child to be singled out.

DailyFaily Fri 20-May-16 19:58:29

YANBU, that's not acceptable language for a teacher to use in front of pupils.

OhMrBadger Fri 20-May-16 19:59:18

Have other parents reported this or have you only heard it from your DC?

Once you know for certain that it happened, then I would raise a concern. Yes, it's not the worst word but it's inappropriate.

NonnoMum Fri 20-May-16 20:00:25

Yes.

Elianna Fri 20-May-16 20:05:38

We were having dinner and I asked my dc about their new teacher. My dc told me that they didn't like their new teacher because said teacher used the word crap a couple of times. My dc said that this was a naughty word and was upset that a teacher had used it.

Kayakinggirl86 Fri 20-May-16 20:05:52

Wow, if a child used that sort of language in my classroom they would be straight at the heads office! A teacher using it is un acceptable. I said "drat" when the photocopy broke on me the other week. Did not realise there was a child outside the photocopy room (not a area children are normally in) and got a talking to from management for language used. And had to apologise to the child.

ilovesooty Fri 20-May-16 20:09:54

I don't see what's wrong with "drat"

How ridiculous.

I don't think the teacher in the OP should be saying "crap" though.

wtffgs Fri 20-May-16 20:16:25

Really? This is your complaint?

Disclaimer - I love my Y4s wholeheartedly but they are getting to that stage of a stupidly long term.

Of course, the new teacher might be a bit crap him/herself ..... I hear it's hard to recruit teachers these days ... No idea why ....

TheSolitaryBoojum Fri 20-May-16 20:19:59

Not acceptable language from a teacher in any school I know, but find out what was actually said from an adult.
Is the teacher's first language English? I once had a TA who needed a bit of advice about what was and wasn't good English slang.

AngieBolen Fri 20-May-16 20:25:08

It's not acceptable for a teacher to use the word crap, and I would hope my DC would never use the word in school, and expect them to be picked up on it if they were. It's just not a suitable word to be used between adults and children in a school.

Like "bloody" it's not a "strong" swear word, but it's still not acceptable in a classroom.

DailyFaily Fri 20-May-16 20:34:42

Wtffgs - I'm sure your Yr 4s are very trying but that doesn't make it okay to swear in front of them surely (I mean I'd understand a slip up but it sounds like this teacher was using it liberally)? Call the kids what you want in the staff room but you have to manage your language frontstage (just like every other professional has to!)

KoalaDownUnder Fri 20-May-16 20:46:24

No, it's not okay to use 'crap' to a bunch of kids. Wtf?

(The 'drat' thing is ludicrous, though.)

wtffgs Fri 20-May-16 20:46:44

I don't say 'crap' or 'bloody' or 'drat' in front of them. Mostly, I don't say 'drat' because it's not the 1920s.

The kids themselves produce some colourful terms in an array of languages (lots of EAL). I don't swear back or use the pearl-clutchingly dreadful swear words above. However, I wouldn't tar and feather a colleague for using "crap".

Elianna Fri 20-May-16 20:52:19

Teacher's first language is definitely English. I have other children and have never had anything like this happen before with their teachers. My oldest is at secondary and sometimes their teacher will use the word crap but to me it's different with a 15 year old. These children are 9.

LIZS Fri 20-May-16 20:56:47

Have you heard this from anyone other than your 9 yo? hmm

Elianna Fri 20-May-16 21:00:32

LIZS Yes I spoke to a couple other parents, who then asked their children and they confirmed that the teacher did indeed say this.

HooplaLoopla1 Fri 20-May-16 21:04:06

The origins of the word crap actually means 'cast off the waste' so to get rid of the crap like the chafe from wheat. It's only modern day use that means it associated with casting of the waste as in a bodily function. So technically it's not a swear word in the same way shit is, as that means defecate.

TheSolitaryBoojum Fri 20-May-16 21:09:01

In the same way that I could describe all the children of unmarried parents as bastards? Times change.

HooplaLoopla1 Fri 20-May-16 21:20:47

Of course times change, but different words mean different things to different people. Some people view words like crap, bloody, bugger as nothing, but to some, they're still swearing. Maybe she worked at a school where it was the norm, and she's not thought?

TheSolitaryBoojum Fri 20-May-16 21:38:46

That's why I asked about the EAL aspect. I can't think of any state MS primary I have experience of where saying 'crap' to a student would be considered acceptable.

Catmuffin Fri 20-May-16 21:41:57

I can't get my head around a teacher being made to apologise to a child for saying drat!

TheSolitaryBoojum Fri 20-May-16 21:44:22

No, that's a surprise to me.
Unless she followed it with 'You piece of fucking crap'

HooplaLoopla1 Fri 20-May-16 21:49:37

That's the point though isn't it? From what the OP has written, this teacher said she won't put up 'with any of this crap' not told a child they are crap, or their behaviour is crap. There's a difference surely?

Kariana Fri 20-May-16 21:53:10

I've worked in many primary schools and that would not be acceptable in any of them. I don't often encourage complaining against teachers but if I were you I'd be having words with the head first thing Monday. That language is completely unacceptable from a teacher, even in the context of not using it to refer directly to the children.

HooplaLoopla1 Fri 20-May-16 21:57:49

Ok, personally I'd not get bent out of shape over it. I've got a year 5 child and if their teacher said it, I'd not worry, nor would I have done when they were in year 4, but that's just me. Clearly I'm in the minority. A quiet word needed maybe rather than a full on complaint? She said crap not 'go fuck yourself, you bunch of wankers' hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now