Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed a friend called her baby the same as mine?

(181 Posts)
tottryornottotry Fri 20-May-16 17:30:04

So a girl I worked with for 3 years (in a small team), who I've kept in touch with and we have mutual friends has called her baby the exact same name as mine. Both first and middle name. They are 9 months apart. It's quite an unusual name too. I feel really annoyed that my daughter had lost her originality somehow?!

Sammysquiz Fri 20-May-16 17:31:59

YABU. You don't own the name!

tottryornottotry Fri 20-May-16 17:33:04

No I guess not but not very original of her to use the exact same!

Arfarfanarf Fri 20-May-16 17:33:15

I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't matter. There will be a lot of people with the name. It doesn't take anything away from your child if some woman you used to work with and chat to now and again has a daughter with the same name.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Fri 20-May-16 17:33:35

You'll get over it, her choice should have no reflection on how you feel about your child. It's just a name.

MrsMushrooms Fri 20-May-16 17:34:29

I think YABU because I'm 100% sure that your daughter's name wasn't unique to start with and her originality doesn't come from her name, it will come from her personality.

I know that some people do think this kind of stuff is not OK so I'm sure many will say you're NBU but I really do think ideas about name ownership are ridiculous

Goingtobeawesome Fri 20-May-16 17:34:41

Really? It doesn't matter. It's just a name and she quite possibly wasn't the only child with that name anyway. Don't make this into something it really isn't.

myownprivateidaho Fri 20-May-16 17:34:51

Depends how unusual I guess. Are they in the top 100 for last year?

wasonthelist Fri 20-May-16 17:34:52

Somone stole my name again.

MrsJoeyMaynard Fri 20-May-16 17:35:05

Unless both girls are going to be growing up near each other, in the same class at school etc, then it surely doesn't matter all that much?

Buttons23 Fri 20-May-16 17:35:23

Your daughter probably never had originality, unless it is a proper out there name then there is a good chance there are plenty of others with the same name.

She may have had very good reasons for the name and it's not like you own the name. Unless you are best friends/ family chances are in 10 years time you guys won't talk so what's the big deal. If anything take it as a compliment that you chose a great name.

Dozer Fri 20-May-16 17:35:52

Yabu. Since she's a colleague assume you have mainly separate social circles anyway.

BeckywiththeGoodHare Fri 20-May-16 17:36:35

YABU. I guarantee that no matter how unique you think your combo is, there will be an Eddie Stobart wagon somewhere with that exact name painted on the front.

TobleroneBoo Fri 20-May-16 17:37:31

As many have said, you don't own a name

But it would really fuck me off too

LogicalThinking Fri 20-May-16 17:38:04

So this is a former colleague?
If it was your sister I would be able to see your point, but a former colleague is of no relevance.
I bet the name isn't THAT rare.

acasualobserver Fri 20-May-16 17:38:14

You could change your baby's name before she gets too used to it. If your friend follows suit then you have every right to be angry.

Loveheart123 Fri 20-May-16 17:38:46

You don't own the name. Yabu

IWILLgiveupsugar Fri 20-May-16 17:40:09

It would bug me too, even thoigh I know that nobody owns a name.

NotYoda Fri 20-May-16 17:42:49

Is it hyphenated?

ElectroStallion Fri 20-May-16 17:46:37

Depends whether she's called Ruby Grace or Perdita Sharon really, doesn't it? Top ten names are v v popular, and if both names are top ten, then you're bound to meet others of same name, unavoidable.

Pseudo341 Fri 20-May-16 17:47:21

Do you honestly expect her to give up her first choice of name just because you got there first? 10 years down the line chances are you won't still be in touch.

NicknameUsed Fri 20-May-16 17:47:39

Can I just say:

Get a grip - to all of you who would be upset over something like this.

In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. DD had a girl in her class with the same christian and middle name. Her surname was quite similar to ours with the same ending.

You know what? It didn't matter.

Stop being so precious, and grow up.

LillyBugg Fri 20-May-16 17:48:33

I disagree with everyone else. Copying both first name and middle name, isn't that just fucking weird?! YANBU. I'd be so annoyed.

squoosh Fri 20-May-16 17:49:07

No one owns a name but it would irritate me too OP! And creep me out a little.

Is your daughter at the Isabella Rose end of the scale or the Boudicca Beryl?

saltwiththat Fri 20-May-16 17:49:23

I know nobody owns a name but I'd be hacked off too, shows a lack of imagination.
Unless it's Charlotte Elizabeth Diana.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now