#SAVEEGYPT

(35 Posts)
feellikeahugefailure Fri 20-May-16 08:47:28

Is the tourism industry in Egypt really about to cave in?

The last thing I would think about doing is booking a holiday there, or anywhere.

Why would people go on holiday to a Muslim country? I decided many years ago I would never go to one again after visiting Tunisia.

Footle Fri 20-May-16 08:48:35

'People' ? Muslim people are not people now ?

Oysterbabe Fri 20-May-16 08:49:41

I think it's too dangerous to go to Egypt, which is a shame as I had an amazing holiday there once. The pyramids are truly breathtaking.

kateemo Fri 20-May-16 08:51:33

Hmmmm. A bit confused about the condemnation of "muslim countries" instead of sympathy for the presumed dead and their families here. Despite whatever reservations you have about your holiday plans, OP, people have died and families are grieving. Did you mean to be so insensitive?

ghostyslovesheep Fri 20-May-16 08:52:55

Would I go on holiday to a 'Muslim country' - yes hmm

To a country with a civil war brewing and terror warnings in place - not so much

The two are not synonymous

Cheby Fri 20-May-16 08:57:53

These are silly questions. Would I book a holiday in Egypt at the moment? No. And that's despite having travelled there lots on the past for holidays and research.

Would I travel to another predominantly Muslim country which isn't experiencing civil unrest and terror warnings? Yes.

I do think Egypt's tourist industry is going to take a long time to recover. It's a worry. I think it's been largely impossible to do the kind of holidays I enjoy for a long time (travelling up and down the country and visiting archaeological sites). The resorts were ok (although that doesn't interest me) but I wouldn't travel there now at all.

Sallyingforth Fri 20-May-16 09:00:31

Why should anyone choose to travel to anywhere in the middle east, when there are so many other lovely destinations?
It's just common sense to avoid the area. No other reason needed.

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 20-May-16 09:01:18

Why would people go on holiday to a Muslim country? I decided many years ago I would never go to one again after visiting Tunisia

Goodo. Could you explain the circumstances at the time that made you decide to never visit a Muslim country again?

RaeSkywalker Fri 20-May-16 09:02:01

hmm 'Muslim country' and 'dangerous country' are not synonymous.

I've had 2 amazing holidays to Egypt in the last 10 years. I wouldn't return at present because of the civil unrest. Not because it's a 'Muslim country'.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 20-May-16 09:05:25

*Would I go on holiday to a 'Muslim country' - yes hmm

To a country with a civil war brewing and terror warnings in place - not so much

The two are not synonymous*

Absolutely this.

This whole thing is in poor taste, too. It didn't really need to be pointed out that this would be the end of Egyptian tourism, on the day that the plane went missing. It was quite obvious really. Now it's been turned into strange religious propaganda, which also helps no-one.

Unicow Fri 20-May-16 09:08:06

Muslim country and country experiencing civil unrest are not the same thing. I wouldn't go to a country currently in a civil war or with a very high risk of civil war. I basically follow the advice set by the government as they know far more about the risks to tourists than I do.

As for general terror alerts it seems like half the world is currently on high terror alert. Maybe we should stay here oh no wait WE are on high terror alert.

We also have quite a lot of Muslims here in the uk. What to do? Should we all decamp to the moon and bring ukip to keep the undesirables out? hmm

londonrach Fri 20-May-16 09:08:15

At the present time i wouldnt visit egypt but then ive sadly added paris and brussels or any big tourist location to that list. I know its irrational but i dont think some places are safe at the moment. Next holiday i think.....remote croft in scotland! Awful isnt it that due to a few individuals we all rethinking where to visit! Someone i know mentioned turkey as a holiday this summer and instead of thinking of the history, food and the pottery i thought i wouldnt go because i dont think its safe!!! 😞

kateemo Fri 20-May-16 09:12:01

Thank you unicow for depicting the picture of common sense. Where in the world is "safe"? Lest we not read properly, most of the people on that jet were Egyptians, many of them Muslims who happen to also be Egyptians.

Osolea Fri 20-May-16 09:14:52

I'm going to continue going to Egypt, as I have done at least once a year over the last 13 years, because it's a place I love. I don't consider it to be any less safe than London, and especially Paris.

I don't really see why this latest plane crash should have such a detrimental effect on Egypts tourism, the plane took off from France FFS!

People in Egypt are people just the same as the rest of us, and they need our support in tourism to do normal things like feed their children. I choose to go there over other countries because of the weather, the people, the culture, the Red Sea, and I would happily take any opportunity I get to go to other middle Eastern countries.

There are other lovely destinations, I visit some of them as well, but I'm sure we all have holiday destinations that are special to us if we travel enough, and I refuse to be told I can't go to mine. I wouldn't question why someone would choose to spend their holiday in the UK despite it being something I'd never choose to do, so why do people feel the need to question why others would go to a 'Muslim Country'? hmm

namechangeparents Fri 20-May-16 09:15:32

I get where you are coming from OP but it's not because they are Muslim countries, it's because they have a culture that says that if you are female you have no value in society other than as an incubator and homemaker. And if you dare to go out by yourself (even "appropriately" dressed) you must be a whore.

And many of these places are at greater risk of a terrorist attack than other countries which is another rather important reason not to go there. Ok we might have had the 7/7 attacks in London and the Paris/Brussels attacks but on the whole, European destinations are considerably safer, especially if you stay out of the tourist hotspots.

And all these places are hot hot hot which takes them off my list of places to go anyway. I prefer more moderate climes.

WannaBe Fri 20-May-16 09:17:30

IMO there are two separate issues here.

The first is whether I would travel to any country which is currently experiencing instability to the degree that me or my family might be at risk there. The answer to that would be no. And fwiw the middle east is not exclusive in this regard, throw in large swathes of Africa as well for reasons which have nothing to do with terrorism or islam, Greece wouldn't be on my go-to list either, neither would parts of south America or the Caribian, all for reasons of their own...

But that doesn't take away from my ability to sympathise with the locals for whom tourism is their only livelihood, and who are not responsible for events unfolding in the country they happened to be born in, meaning that that livelihood is being put at great risk, meaning they themselves are now living in a state of uncertain futures through no fault of their own.

We do not have a responsibility to travel to countries we deem to be unsafe just to uphold their economies, but we can still feel for the impact that those decisions and events have on the locals in those countries. The two things are not mutually exclusive...

Ningnoise Fri 20-May-16 09:20:13

biscuit for the 'Muslim country' comment.

exLtEveDallas Fri 20-May-16 09:30:31

Why would people go on holiday to a Muslim country?

In 2009 we went to Morocco. We loved the friendliness of the people, the souks were facinating and full of beautiful fabrics that I spent a fortune on. The beach was very clean, the weather OK, the hotel full of character. I am keen to go again but to try Marrakech next time rather than Agadir.

In 2010 we went to Tunisia. We found it very family friendly, the weather superb, the food fabulous, the hotel extremely good and staff very welcoming. We felt there was less to do outside the hotel though.

In 2011, 2012, 2013 we went to Egypt. We are going again this summer and for Xmas. We go for the luxurious accommodation, the lovely people (the staff are generally wonderful, especially with kids), the amazing weather, the interesting history/monuments, the diving, the friendliness of the people we have met and the water parks for DD (and me - big kid at heart!). We go to Hurghada rather than Sharm or Cairo but then travel internally for the 'must-sees'

In contrast we have also been on holiday to Majorca, Menorca, Fuetaventura and Kos.

In Majorca it pissed down for 2 weeks, the hotel was crap, the staff surly and DD got D&V and a chronic ear infection. Menorca was lovely but very expensive. Fuetaventura and Kos we liked a lot, would definately return (and did look at possibilities for this year) but there was not as much for DD to do in either place so we will leave it until she is older.

That's why we do it. Hope that helps OP.

Chippednailvarnishing Fri 20-May-16 09:35:11

Why would people go on holiday to a Muslim country? I decided many years ago I would never go to one again after visiting Tunisia

So if a Tunisian visited Britain and decided not to visit anymore Christian countries because they had the misfortune to spend time with someone as ignorant as you OP, would they have a balanced view of Britain?

I suspect you're being a GF...

sandrabedminster Sat 21-May-16 07:04:51

I'd love to go see the pyramids one day, when its more stable. I'm sure they are breathtaking and a have to see in person thing

curren Sat 21-May-16 07:19:13

I am desperate to go to Egypt. To visit the sights.

But no I wouldn't go at the moment.

But of course I would visit a Muslim country. Muslims have nothing to do with why I wouldn't go to Egypt.

QueenofLouisiana Sat 21-May-16 07:23:38

While I wouldn't travel to Egypt at the moment that isn't because of the religion of the majority of the people there. I also won't choose to travel to several parts of Africa, South America or the Middle East- for various reasons: safety, health, moral objections to the treatment of women

Our next big plan includes time in Malaysia. We've been before and loved the buildings, the climate, the countryside. What religion the majority of the people are really isn't a factor.

hesterton Sat 21-May-16 07:30:50

I had a beautiful holiday alone in Egypt 15 years ago. I met some great people. I'm so sorry for their troubles. I would go back happily but there are so many more places I want to see.

Religion doesn't come into it although I accept their are deep flaws in parts of the society where women's rights are concerned. As there are in many other countries, Christian and Muslim and Hindu and Buddhist. ..

ReallyTired Sat 21-May-16 07:53:12

Syria used to have tourist potential. Libya and Tunisa have beautiful beaches, but all these countries are very dangerous.

The best way to defeat ISIS is to develop these countries. We need to look at ways of making tourism safe in Egypt. We need to ensure economic prosperity and opportunity for all.

Should there be a total ban on Muslims or those with a middle eastern background working in airports? Or would such racist actions create a problem substantially worse.

A1Sharon Sat 21-May-16 07:58:21

I wouldn't go on holiday to Egypt whether it had unrest there or not. Their record on FGM is horrifying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now