to want to get married without crazy family there

(9 Posts)
pissedoff2016 Thu 19-May-16 16:29:35

the subject says it all really

NoFuchsGiven Thu 19-May-16 16:31:29

YANBU.

Mrsfancyfanjango Thu 19-May-16 16:40:47

YANBU!
DP and I are currently unmarried but would like to be in the future, the wedding part scares me.

123rd Thu 19-May-16 16:46:33

Do it. We did. Best thing ever. Neither of us wanted any fuss or bother at all. And if it pisses any of the family off...oh well, it's to late by then wink

DementedUnicorn Thu 19-May-16 16:48:01

Elope!

LordoftheTits Thu 19-May-16 16:48:31

Nope, we went off and did it just the two of us and I don't regret it for a second.

FishWithABicycle Thu 19-May-16 17:01:59

YANBU. You get to decide when and where, who to invite, what to feed them with and how much booze to buy for them, and what to wear.

No one gets to impose these things on you (though if they are paying they get a say and if that means inviting crazy aunty elsa and the unpleasant cousins then the only way to avoid that is to wait till you can fund the whole thing yourselves)

Mumsnet rules are that - You don't get to choose what your guests wear, whether they choose to accept your invitation, or what childcare arrangements they consider appropriate, where they stay, or how much they should be spending on or giving as a gift. I think that's it.

crazywriter Thu 19-May-16 17:06:31

What sort of crazy? DHs family is crazy but in a good way. Wouldn't have had a wedding without them.

The other sort of crazy? I wouldn't want em either.

It's your wedding though. YANBU to invite or not invite whoever you want.

Simpsonsaddict Thu 19-May-16 18:11:03

We married with just two witnesses. It didn't feel right to just go off and do it secretly so we did tell people, but explained that we didn't want a fuss, I never wanted to be a bride, I've never understood all that! And it would have felt like a waste of money!

Is it just family that you don't want there, or is it that you don't want a 'wedding'?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now