Talk

Advanced search

To ask my landlord not to pay bills while away

(19 Posts)
Beyondheartbreak Thu 19-May-16 10:12:52

I have not been at my rented accommodation since March 28th due to illness but have paid full rent and bills for March and April. Is it acceptable to ask that for May I don't pay bills to the landlord? I would be back this weekend which is May 22nd.

I pay landlord direct for gas and electricity and split tv/internet etc with Flatmates.

There isn't anything about this in the contract.

Princesspinkgirl Thu 19-May-16 10:14:21

I assume you would still need too pay them but I would talk with landlord anyway

Sallyingforth Thu 19-May-16 10:17:04

You can ask him of course, but if you are under contract to pay then don't be surprised if he says no.

SisterKhloe Thu 19-May-16 10:23:50

Isn't this going to screw over your flatmates by making them pay a higher share of the bill? Yes, you aren't there using the electricity, so the bill might be slightly lower, but the housemates will still need lighting in common areas, etc, and you agreed to split that cost with them. They might be unhappy about this.

TheNaze73 Thu 19-May-16 10:43:06

Worth asking the question but, I can't see you getting a result from either the landlord or your flat mates

WreckingBallsInsideMyHead Thu 19-May-16 10:48:12

I'm sorry you're ill but I don't expect you'll get much joy

Clandestino Thu 19-May-16 10:52:23

I'm going to call my bank and tell them we aren't paying our mortgage for the time we are on holidays because we won't be living there.
Your landlord relies on your share of the bills and rent - otherwise he could give your place to someone else. You're BU.

Liiinooo Thu 19-May-16 10:52:31

I think the contract probably just says you have to pay rent and bills until you terminate the agreement. The fact that you are not there for long periods of time is not relevant. However it might be worth asking, he might have a kind heart and the worst he can say is NO.

Pinkheart5915 Thu 19-May-16 10:55:06

You can ask, see what they say no harm it that.

As a land lord myself I wouldn't agree, if I go away from my home I still have to pay bills

RidersOnTheStorm Thu 19-May-16 11:03:20

It isn't a hotel, no one else can use your empty room, so it has to be paid for.

HairySubject Thu 19-May-16 11:07:15

I can't see the landlord agreeing to this, you are paying for your room and bills, whether you are there or not you are paying to keep use of the room available to you.

InternationalHouseofToast Thu 19-May-16 11:20:52

Is this a place where only you live, or do you have flat mate(s)? Surely the bills will be lower because you weren't there and so haven't used the water / gas / electric for that time. Your meters would have a lower reading to reflect that.

If you have flatmate(s) they pay the bills for your period of absence between them, if you're alone, you pay any amounts on the bill.

TrillKitten Thu 19-May-16 11:21:37

I see where you're coming from, but I think it is a bit unreasonable tbh. Surely if your personal use of electricity / gas / water etc (I assume these are the bills you mean?) is that significant they'll be much lower this quarter anyway? That's your discount, not one your flatmates give. Still, if you have a good relationship with them and you've been unable to work because of your illness they might agree to give you a 20% discount or something. If you ask, ask very nicely and expecting a refusal (I'd say 'no' if I lived with you, sorry!) as if you seem demanding or entitled to this you could create waves in your home environment which is the last thing you'd need after an illness. I hope you're on the mend now, btw.

Dexterjamesmummy Thu 19-May-16 12:49:02

You might not be using the gas and electric but there is still a standing charge to pay, I think you should just pay it.

specialsubject Thu 19-May-16 13:02:18

I think the phrase 'it doesn't work like that' is the only real answer here.

sorry. If you were in accommodation on your own you'd pay less on the bills because you'd use less, but the rent/mortgage wouldn't change. And as mentioned, standing charges still apply.

Beyondheartbreak Thu 19-May-16 19:16:32

My Flatmates and I pay set price for the gas electric per month individually to the landlord. I wanted to ask because it wouldn't impact anyone else. Re holding the room I feel like my rent covers that. My landlord doesn't pay any tax on our rent or bills so thought he may do a favour but maybe I would look stupid to ask if not done thing.

scaryteacher Thu 19-May-16 19:52:19

How do you know that he pays no tax on the rent?

JonSnowsBeardClippings Thu 19-May-16 19:55:21

Don't be silly. You are obliged to pay your share of the bills while the room is contractually yours. Why on earth would you expect your landlord to pay your share?

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 19-May-16 20:20:21

YABU - you're under contract, you pay your bills!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now