Talk

Advanced search

Rejected for career in the military. What else can he do?

(24 Posts)
WendyWithers Thu 19-May-16 07:50:20

Dear nephew 20s, clever lad, had his heart set on a military career but has been rejected due to a health issue - something that wouldn't be an issue in civy street but means he is not considered suitable for military service.

He's disappointed and now has no idea which direction to go in. He wasn't wanting to do a specific task in the Forces - engineer, cook etc - just wanted the life - adventure, purpose etc.

AIBU to ask for ideas as to what he might do or where he can get support to move forward?

BurningTheToast Thu 19-May-16 07:56:27

Just a thought - what was the health issue and if it was found on an assessment by a civilian medic it might be worth a second opinion. My brother's eyesight was found not to meet the standards when tested by an inexperienced locum optician at Boots but when he was seen by a more experienced optician it was found to be within the limits allowed. It's good that he persevered because he's now a fairly senior naval officer.

I know that isn't what you asked but I just wanted to flag that it might be possible to get second opinion and persevere. Of course, that might not be the case so apologies if this is of no help whatsoever. Good luck to him in finding another passion to pursue.

KimmySchmidtsSmile Thu 19-May-16 08:00:43

Police and TA in any spare time?

MrsJayy Thu 19-May-16 08:02:39

What a shame he must be upset what about the emergency services Dds eyesight wasnt 20/20 for the Raf she is now in 1 of the ES

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 19-May-16 08:04:08

Police, emergency services, firefighting?

CesareBorgiasUnicornMask Thu 19-May-16 08:32:59

My DH was rejected from the army for medical reasons and is now in the police. He still pines for the army a bit (doesn't help that we currently live in the 'home of the British army' so he sees soldiers everywhere!) but by and large he's very happy with his job and is doing well career-wise. Firefighting might appeal more on the adventure/ excitement front though.

MrsJayy Thu 19-May-16 08:38:15

Yes Dd is still a bit obsessed about the RAF she had her heart set on it her degree was so she could go join she didnt even want to fly but she is happy in her new job

LarrytheCucumber Thu 19-May-16 08:43:42

My DS was rejected because of a health issue. As far as I know it also means Army Reserve is out as well, because they have the same standards. He is currently.looking at Paramedic training. Firefighting might be an option but it could depend on what the health issue is and how severe it is.

whois Thu 19-May-16 08:47:29

Police, fire service, paramedic?

Second opinion on the health issue?

FishWithABicycle Thu 19-May-16 09:03:36

For adventure and purpose - could he consider mountain rescue or coast guard? or working with an international relief organisation like medicin sans frontiers or the red cross to do things like building field hospitals, setting up refugee camps in war zones? Working with an "outward bound" kids activities organisation taking teenagers on wild camping trips to build their life skills?

PestilentialCat Thu 19-May-16 09:08:22

Agree something like Police, Mountain Rescue, Coastguard, Fire Service.

Also what about teaching Outdoor Education? DS's school has a dedicated Outdoor Ed teacher - climbing, canoeing, camping skills etc, often they're spending lessons making campfires in the woods, he gets to organise & go on all the activity holiday - sounds a great job!

mmmminx Thu 19-May-16 09:16:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MangoMoon Thu 19-May-16 09:22:02

Agree with the last few posters.
What specifically about the forces interested him?

If it was the life, the camaraderie, the outdoorsy stuff then outward bound type jobs would suit.

If it was the humanitarian, helping people, travel to obscure places then the international relief type jobs.

If it was the uniformed organisation, team aspect etc then fire, police, mountain rescue type things.

If it's the travel, then merchant navy.

Ancienchateau Thu 19-May-16 09:26:19

How about the UN or Red Cross/Medicin sans frontiers? Lots of overseas opportunities, working in developing countries, training etc.

MrsJayy Thu 19-May-16 09:30:50

I was trying to think what to call outdoor education. It was going to be longwinded about the holiday centres kids go to on school trips so i didnt post but yeah outdoor education

LarrytheCucumber Thu 19-May-16 09:31:57

Would overseas be a problem? My DS' consultant said he couldn't see a problem with DS being in the Army, but the Army said that as soldiers can be sent anywhere in the world without guarantee of medical care that it was too big a risk.

Balanced12 Thu 19-May-16 09:33:32

I would suggest he goes private with a health professional who under stands the requirements to check eligibility. I know several people who got in after have additional checks and appealing.

If that's a no go he can consider something else.

HemanOrSheRa Thu 19-May-16 09:36:43

How about about the Royal Fleet Auxilliary?

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 19-May-16 09:40:15

A friend studied "BSc (Hons), International Disaster Engineering and Management " at university. It sounds like an incredibly interesting degree and both she and her peers have ended up in very interesting roles, lots in NGO's, various roles in govt and large organisations. There seems to be a variety of courses now on the same theme.

www.coventry.ac.uk/course-structure/engineering-environment-and-computing/undergraduate-degree/2016-17/disaster-management-bsc-hons/

MGFM Thu 19-May-16 09:44:30

Asthma is usually the most common problem that makes people ineligible to join. I don't know if the RFA have the same rules as the Navy but these days the Army really doesn't do much travelling. Want to see the world? Either join the Navy or the RFA or get a job in the Merchant Navy or maybe on a super yacht. Or save up and go travelling, working as you go.

MGFM Thu 19-May-16 09:45:51

In the navy the medical is carried out by a doctor nominated by the careers office . You can't just use your own. But you can appeal

Ashhead24 Thu 19-May-16 09:47:49

GCHQ or similar? Agree emergency services also sound like a good fit. Could also look into roles in the media that would involve travel, camera work for instance.

Iwantacampervan Thu 19-May-16 09:51:51

Mountain Rescue are volunteers but it could be done alongside a 'day job'.

itmustbemyage Thu 19-May-16 11:43:44

My son was also rejected for the services due to a medical condition even though he had been a cadet for many years working towards joining. He is now doing an apprenticeship and looking at volunteering options in the future (he is still young). Would your son be interested in volunteering with cadet forces along side whatever else he does and inspiring young people with his passion?
As a separate issue my cousin (many years ago) and 2 different friends sons (quite recently) were mad keen to join the army all were successful in joining but my cousin and I of the other boys both hated basic training so much they pulled out and the other boy sustained an injury during his basic training and had to leave (not sure of correct terminology) as a result they all were a bit lost as to know what to do with their lives. 2 of them now have "normal jobs" but do lots of activities in their spare time and 1 of them worked as an outdoor instructor for a number of years before doing a "normal job".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now