Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit peeved about the mumsnet competition..

(6 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

overwhelmed34 Wed 18-May-16 20:32:12

Was just having a look at the competition to win a holiday/wardrobe etc and very keen to enter! Went to do so and discovered I have to give my mumsnet username, real name, email address and ages of my children. But it's not a secure (https) site. Dh has always drummed into me the importance of not putting personal info on a non secure site...but as well as that surely after Jeffrey-gate and given the sensitive nature of mumsnet it's a bit risky...?

So, gutted but no lovely summer holiday prize for me!

Newes Wed 18-May-16 20:34:58

It's certainly worth bearing in mind that the data MN holds has proven to be insecure in the past. A shame, but if it hasn't got all the security in place that it could have then it's probably not worth compromising privacy.

You could win something nice or you could have a SWAT team kicking your door down.

overwhelmed34 Wed 18-May-16 20:36:01

Choices choices....!

ClashCityRocker Wed 18-May-16 20:37:29

Would you be disqualified if you were economical with the truth about the ages of the children? Just curious.

overwhelmed34 Wed 18-May-16 20:39:28

Actually I think the ages of the children was optional (looking at it again)...still, not keen on having my real name, username and email address out there. Don't want the daily mail having even more access than they do already!!

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 19-May-16 14:02:14

Hi overwhelmed34 - thanks for posting.

Our competition entries are all done through a secure data management system. We don't retain data once a competition has closed and it is purely used for the purpose of picking a winner and informing them that they have won. In some instances we pass data on to the companies running the competition, however this is opt in and we would never pass any details on from those who haven't specified they would like to hear more from the brand. The only details we require from entrants is their Mumsnet username and email address so we can get in touch with our lucky winners as well as confirm they are in fact a Mumsnet user.

Hope this clarifies things, but do shout if we can help any further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now