Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why a GP thinks I'd ignore their advice...

(5 Posts)
RiverTamFan Tue 17-May-16 20:37:15

Teenage DD2 was told to take a medication for vertigo developed after a cold/cough. We were told it might make her drowsy. We gave it a couple of days but she was sleeping for 5 hours during the day. I ring the Surgery on Friday for advice and a letter for High School but have to leave a message with Reception.
Fast forward to today and I end up speaking to the GP about the letter's contents, especially as it doesn't mention the meds. GP asks me why I didn't just take her off the prescription meds when I noticed their side effects.

AIBU to wonder why she thinks we'd whip our kid off her prescription without medical advice?

LoudBatPerson Tue 17-May-16 20:42:40

I suffer vertigo on and off. The medication I have makes me very dopey and I basically sleep the whole time I am on it. My GP says that is normal and it's better for me to sleep a lot than have severe vertigo and accompanying vomiting for days on end, as that would make me sicker.

Very odd of GP to say you should have just stopped using them. In my experience drowsiness is a common side effect of the mess they give for vertigo.

EveOnline2016 Tue 17-May-16 20:48:13

What does it say on the leaflet regarding side effects. I know on some that if you are experience side effects to stop taking the medication and seek medical advice

RiverTamFan Tue 17-May-16 21:07:35

It said it could make her drowsy but, when the GP heard how bad it had been, she questioned why I didn't just stop giving it to her. When I said you should don't stop taking prescriptions without medical advice she asked why I didn't contact her.

Except I did. In the same call as I requested the letter that she wrote! hmm

MintyBojingles Tue 17-May-16 21:13:08

I think generally most people would stop taking meds that were non-essential if they noticed bad side effects. I know I would, then arrange an appointment for as soon as reasonably possible. Most medicines say to discontinue and seek advice if severe side effects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now