Talk

Advanced search

Charity collectors calling at home

(16 Posts)
doubleginplease Tue 17-May-16 19:09:45

AIBU to think calling at people's homes collecting for charity isnt really on? We had a Christian aid envelope through our door a few nights ago, I'd put it on the side with the 100s of other envelopes we get asking for money (slight exaggeration) and frankly forgot about it.

Im not adverse to charity and in fact I'm a regular fundraiser and donator but I'd prefer people not to repeatedly call the doorbell at 7pm at night asking for my donation, I tried to ignore sit but she kept pressing. I was actually trying to bath a toddler and the dog was going nuts so scooped wet toddler up in a towel and went downstairs. just can't help thinking if someone is struggling for cash thats going to cause additional stress.

DH says its ok. Doesn't see it being an issue.

Perfectly OK with being told Im BU.

SweetieDrops Tue 17-May-16 19:13:28

How rude of them to ring the doorbell repeatedly. I don't open the door to them, my door is part glass so I can see who's there, if one kept hassling me I'd report them to the charity. I hope you told her she'd made you get your child out of the bath, hope she felt guilty.

rockchick78 Tue 17-May-16 19:13:40

I agree! I get back home from work at 6.30 and the last think I want are charity workers when I'm trying to get showered/changed/food sorted. If I want to give to charity, I'll give to charity!

rockchick78 Tue 17-May-16 19:14:12

* thing

Panicmode1 Tue 17-May-16 19:16:18

We get so many cold callers/charity callers/men selling household crap due to a 'rehabilitation of offenders' scheme etc. They always call at 6.30-7 which is a horrendous time of day for parents.....most of them are polite, but sometimes they are so rude and aggressive. Even a "No cold callers" sign doesn't deter them. Drives me nuts.

doubleginplease Tue 17-May-16 19:18:50

The other thing is the sheer amount of charity envelopes and clothes donation bags!

My door is half glass too but its shaped glass so i can see its female etc but i can't see who it is.

I just think its insensitive as they don't know peoples personal circumstances. I am having a rotten time at the moment (dads funeral tomorrow) and wondering if we are going to be ok for money next month as my DH has taken a lot of time off to help me so maybe I'm extra tetchy for that!

bertsdinner Tue 17-May-16 20:24:23

I dislike it. I had Red Cross on my doorstep once, trying to get me to sign up to a DD, like a chugger but on my doorstep. I tried to say no politely but she kept on and on. When I finally got a word in and said no thanks she looked most put out.
Also got Save the Children. Again, said no thanks and the girl sort of laughed at me and said "you don't know what Im going to say yet". I knew exactly what she was going to say, and the answer is no. I wont give my bank details to someone in the street/on doorstep.
I dont mind fundraisers, charity bags, envelopes, even people who want to pack your shoping in the supermarket, etc, but I really object to being chugged on my own doorstep.

MadisonMontgomery Tue 17-May-16 20:27:56

Christian Aid are the only decent ones I've come across - but I believe the collecting for them is done by volunteers so I guess it's hit & miss who you get. I am sick to death of professional chuggers tho - you see a couple of cars park up on the street & hordes of them pour out & start banging on people's doors.

LouSavage Tue 17-May-16 20:33:20

We don't get any at all. We've never had anyone knock for charity. I don't think we're in a no cold calling zone but we do have a sign saying we won't buy on the door so I don't know if that deters everyone. I'd go nuts if someone repeatedly rang my doorbell.

scaryteacher Tue 17-May-16 20:34:28

The lady who collects for Christian Aid in our village is a retired lady across the road. They are normally volunteers from local churches, and may not know that you have a toddler. 7pm would have found me just home when I was working, so earlier wouldn't have got a response.

Christian Aid is the one charity I do give to, as they try to keep their costs down as much as possible, Christian Aid week is their main fundraiser of the year.

Woodhill Tue 17-May-16 20:38:37

I haven't seen any envelopes. I think Christian Aid is a well established charity so I don't mind giving to them, they collect the envelopes and you don't have to donate. I don't like Chuggers or cold callers ringing me and signing up to things.

Fratelli Tue 17-May-16 20:52:03

Someone repeatedly ringing the doorbell at anytime of day for anything other than an emergency is totally unacceptable!

Vickyyyy Tue 17-May-16 20:54:54

Ugh its ridiculous these days. We actually have a sign up thats supposed to mean we get no callers, or junk mail and such but it seems to be ignored. We get cold callers on our landline a lot too despite being registered with TPS? Nothing seems to stop them.

I do try not to get annoyed with the people calling as they are just trying to make a living afterall, but when you are on your 10th charity caller/telemarketing call in a couple of days its hard

Oysterbabe Tue 17-May-16 20:58:06

I use the spyhole and don't answer the door.

blimeyalldecentnamesaregone Tue 17-May-16 20:59:28

We had the RSPCA yesterday and Christian Aid today.

Well I assume it was Christian Aid as I got DS to open the door (15), the woman said with no introduction to who she was or what she was collecting for, 'I left an envelope' then when DS looked confused she said 'Can I have some money then?'. He said I was asleep and she went on her way. But no introduction and no explanation!!

I do usually give to Christian Aid and know they are volunteers but I thought that was a pretty bad way of her asking!

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Tue 17-May-16 21:31:42

Christian aid left an envelope the other day.
They never say when they will collect...

They left another (bigger) one the day after.

So I did what I usually do.

Shove whatever change I have in it.

Write on the gift aid bit " sorry, not working so not paying enough tax" and leave it on my porch.

One year, the lady was standing on it while she woke ds up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now