Talk

Advanced search

invited for tea

(30 Posts)
weaselwatcher Tue 17-May-16 17:35:08

I cook a meal every week for a friend and her two children. Finally we've been invited to hers for tea this evening, arrived and weve been told it's chippy for tea tonight and I need to go to the cash machine. I'm short for cash right now and used what I thought was the correct amount to do my food shopping yesterday ensuring there was food in for me and my boys. Luckily there is an extra £10 left in my account, which I've now had to use to cover the cost of tea. This would never usually be a problem but aibu to be slightly annoyed about being invited here to apparently have the favour returned as my friend put it and now I've had to go out my way to get the last of my cash and was the nominated one to have to fetch the food!!

Kitty3E Tue 17-May-16 17:36:22

That is a piss take. Yanbu.

DPotter Tue 17-May-16 17:41:06

If I were you I would cancel next week's invitation for tea and thereafter as well. Alternatively as she walks in the door ask her to go and fetch the fish & chips.
Don't be a doormat anymore

Pinkheart5915 Tue 17-May-16 17:43:24

Yanbu.
She invited you for tea and made you pay for it, very cheeky as you cook for her and her two do every week for free.

WorraLiberty Tue 17-May-16 17:45:51

Sorry but I wouldn't have done it

And especially not if that was my last spare tenner.

Stillunexpected Tue 17-May-16 17:46:29

Next week, I would tell her that you are a bit short and that she needs to bring tea/dessert/sandwiches/whatever with her for everyone's tea. She is taking the p!@£

ephemeralfairy Tue 17-May-16 17:47:39

That properly takes the piss! She isn't returning the favour, she's asking you for another bloody favour! I wouldn't be cooking her tea again.

FuzzyOwl Tue 17-May-16 17:47:43

I don't think this person is a friend at all. YANBU.

Tiggeryoubastard Tue 17-May-16 17:49:41

Cheeky cow! You just don't do that. Agree with fuzzyowl, that's not your friend.

Firstmum24 Tue 17-May-16 17:49:56

YANBU - the brass neck! You are obviously good friends if you have them for a meal every week so you need to address this before it affects your friendship.

I love a chippy but I would of been so pissed off at being expected to pay!

Leeds2 Tue 17-May-16 17:51:04

When she comes next week, tell her that chippy dinner at hers was so nice that you have decided to do the same. And could she pick it up on her way round.

Goingtobeawesome Tue 17-May-16 17:51:16

Is this really true? Some people are unbelievable.

longdiling Tue 17-May-16 17:51:26

She's no friend! Stop inviting her to yours, you'd save some money not feeding freeloaders. The cheek!

Blimmincheek Tue 17-May-16 17:56:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UpsiLondoes Tue 17-May-16 17:56:07

Why did you get up and actually go instead of
1/ sticking your hand out for the money
And when none came
2/ walked out and back to yours?

gpignname Tue 17-May-16 17:57:49

I have difficulty believing this. But on the small chance it is for real, please OP stop now with making tea for this person ever again. They are not a friend, they are using you.

LizKeen Tue 17-May-16 17:58:49

I just wouldn't have done it.

She is not a friend, stop having her to your house.

weaselwatcher Tue 17-May-16 18:00:26

It's real. Sat with the chips now. Just to clarify she didn't expect me to pay for hers, just ours. We help each other out with childcare all the time, it's not a one way friendship at all

Lunar1 Tue 17-May-16 18:01:27

Bloody hell she's a cheeky cow!

RaeSkywalker Tue 17-May-16 18:03:00

shock how exactly is making you pay £10 "returning the favour"?! We had friends over a few weeks ago, I've been ill and have zero energy, and DH had to work late so we asked if they'd mind having takeaway instead of a home cooked meal. We paid for and collected the takeaway.

I agree with others- don't cook for her again.

ThisCakeFilledIsle Tue 17-May-16 18:03:14

I would have gone home to eat my chips!

RaeSkywalker Tue 17-May-16 18:04:15

Continue to help her with childcare of it's a mutually beneficial arrangement, but do not cook for her again. Surely she could've bunged some oven chips and burgers in?!

Goingthedistance Tue 17-May-16 18:04:16

YADNBU!
Why choose this week to "have chippy for tea"?
And how is making you pay returning the favour for making (and paying for) 2 dinners? confused

Goingthedistance Tue 17-May-16 18:04:34

X post

Ginslinger Tue 17-May-16 18:14:10

I think she's being a bit mean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now