Kids Clubs on holiday

(46 Posts)
unimagmative13 Tue 17-May-16 13:00:15

Yesterday I met up with a groups of uni friends. Most of us are now mums.

Majority have booked beachy type hotel hoildays for this year.

My friend has just returned from the Canaries with her 16 month old. 2 weeks, maybe Sensatori?. Her DS spent every afternoon in the kids club, as he did last year at 6 months old.

My other friend has booked a similar thing for her 5 month old next month.

AIBU that I haven't booked any of this sort of stuff and I'm looking forward to spending time as a family or is this the done thing now a days??

(I'm talking babies not children)

AnnPerkins Tue 17-May-16 13:02:31

Nobody's BU. You do your thing and they can do theirs.

WorraLiberty Tue 17-May-16 13:05:36

I think you need to ask yourself what you intend to get out of this thread?

Are you looking for lots of judgey knicker hoisting about your friend's decisions?

Sorry but I refuse to believe it's because you genuinely want to know if you're BU not to book a kid's club for yours.

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Tue 17-May-16 13:08:41

Would clubs take them at months old?

never been on a resort

unimagmative13 Tue 17-May-16 13:10:26

Nope genuinely wondered if I'm missing out on something!

unimagmative13 Tue 17-May-16 13:10:41

Maybe should have posted in chat!

ghostyslovesheep Tue 17-May-16 13:11:09

Hmm this seems a tad on the goady side OP - do you really need to know if YABU?

origamiwarrior Tue 17-May-16 13:12:33

Nope genuinely wondered if I'm missing out on something!

Yes, you are missing out on something. They get to spend the morning doing baby things with their baby, and then in the afternoon, they can lie by the pool, have sex, walk to the beach, go to a bar, read a novel, sip cocktails.

HTH

budgiegirl Tue 17-May-16 13:15:11

Each to their own. Kids clubs are not prisons, they are fun and many kids enjoy them ( mine would never go to them, it's not their sort of thing). I wish they would have! I was a SAHM when they were small, so a break would have been lovely!

IMO, there's nothing wrong with a holiday that combines family time and a bit of relaxing , kid free time. Best of both worlds for everyone.

WorraLiberty Tue 17-May-16 13:15:13

You have two friends who have experience in using kid's clubs, to ask if you're genuinely missing out on something.

Don't mention the 'I'm looking forward to spending time with my family' though, as that'll make you come across as a total dick.

You know, like you're basically saying they don't look forward to spending time with theirs...

longdiling Tue 17-May-16 13:15:26

Hm. I'm with Worra. I simply don't believe that you are actually asking if you're unreasonable to want to spend time with your family. You sound very sanctimummyish

unimagmative13 Tue 17-May-16 13:15:37

Yes as it seems like I'm outnumbered in my friendship group.

KondosSecretJunkRoom Tue 17-May-16 13:17:25

AIBU that I haven't booked any of this sort of stuff and I'm looking forward to spending time as a family or is this the done thing now a days??

Oh yes, YABU. Not looking forward to spending time with your family is terribly important. As is accruing martyr points so you can have a place on the smug table.

ApocalypseNowt Tue 17-May-16 13:17:32

they can lie by the pool, have sex,

I really hope they don't do that..... grin

Oysterbabe Tue 17-May-16 13:17:33

It's obviously because they hate their children and don't want to spend time as a family. Is that the sort of thing you were hoping for?

unimagmative13 Tue 17-May-16 13:18:06

Thanks Budgie. I suppose you've put is across as a Benefit for the child not just parents.

TBH I would kind of imagining a prison while the parents went off a frolicked but I suppose I'm wrong.

MiddleClassProblem Tue 17-May-16 13:18:50

Sahm here. Would love a holiday with a kids club. We don't even have someone who can baby sit.

I love our family time but a break... Just an hour or two would be wow.

ghostyslovesheep Tue 17-May-16 13:19:40

Mine would go in for 2 hours a day - as a single parent it was the ONLY chance I got to read, sunbathe etc

still you are right OP - spending the remaining 22 hours a day in their company means I obviously hate spending time with my family grin

Now the older 2 are teens the last thing they want is to spend quality time with their ancient un hip mother ...in a swim suit

ghostyslovesheep Tue 17-May-16 13:21:00

yes a prison staffed by fully qualified nursery nurses choc full of toys, games and other awful things - will no one think of the children <wrings hands>

unimagmative13 Tue 17-May-16 13:21:38

Yes one friends is a SAHM so can see from her side there is no time away in this country if that makes sense. So I can see that point of view now.

MiddleClassProblem Tue 17-May-16 13:21:39

So not like a prison. I can remember going to one as a kid. We watched movies, played games, made pizza. Fun.

WorraLiberty Tue 17-May-16 13:22:23

My kids never wanted to go to them.

That's why we brought the grandparents along on our holidays grin

BabyGanoush Tue 17-May-16 13:23:04

only did it once

heaven to have a few hours to myself!

can't afford it normally

MTPurse Tue 17-May-16 13:27:54

TBH I would kind of imagining a prison while the parents went off a frolicked but I suppose I'm wrong

Dp and I are off 'frolicking' in July and leaving the dc at home, not a kids club in sight for them wink

Jellybean83 Tue 17-May-16 13:28:11

My DS 6 loves kids clubs on holiday, he gets to meet new friends, do fun stuff like kayak building, bug hunting, arts and crafts, pirate parties, movie time etc, they only last 2 hours at most and we spend the rest of the day with him.... Except when we put him into football academy.

He is obviously given the option to do these activities and chooses to do them every time as he has fun, it's his holiday too so if he wants to spend it with children his age doing child orientated activities then I don't see the issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now