AIBU to be annoyed at this grandparent?

(11 Posts)
bigboypants Tue 17-May-16 11:21:20

I'm a bit irritable this morning anyway so fully prepared to accept that I'm cross about nothing.

Took ds (6) to school this morning, I was walking with dd(2) so we were a bit behind, but not far, when he saw his friend through the gate he rushed off to say hello, that's fine, they play outside the door until the teacher opens it and I can always see them. Next door to the school is a church who have a regular thing of doing hot chocolate and biscuits before school, we never go as we're not usually there early enough because I don't see the point of it. You can get to the church leaving the school through a side gate that goes to their car park.

Anyway, ds had gone off to say hello to friend number 1, by the time I get through the gate and to the school door, he is nowhere to be seen. Friend 1 is there so I asked him, he told me ds had gone through to get a hot chocolate, ds then appears in the car park next door and I asked him what he was doing running off without telling me. He said he saw friend 2 coming in that way and the friend's grandad had told him to go get one. I don't know the grandad, never seen him before, he doesn't know me or ds, he wouldn't have known if there was a parent around nor if I was happy for him to go running off site through another carpark, he also didn't accompany him to make sure he got there and back safely.

Is it just me or is it a bit stupid to send a random child off on their own to go and get something you don't know they're allowed to have. TBH the drink isn't the issue, it's the stupidity of thinking a 6 year old you don't know has any sense to walk through a car park alone safely. I wouldn't send any of his friends off on their own, I would go with them and if I didn't know the parents I'd probably say no to them.

EponasWildDaughter Tue 17-May-16 11:24:06

YANBU But he (grand parent) was probably just not thinking.

Did you say anything to the man?

bigboypants Tue 17-May-16 11:30:38

Eponas I didn't get a chance, once I had told ds not to go off without telling me, the door was opened and the grandad had gone. I do know the mum, don't want to cause an issue by raising it really if it's not a big deal and ds has been spoken to so it's resolved really.

I know I am a grumpy mare and wasn't sure if this was another one of those things I was making bigger than it really was.

leelu66 Tue 17-May-16 11:37:58

I think he was only being nice. He only sent him to the church next door.

It's not ideal, but maybe it's not normal for someone of his generation.

leelu66 Tue 17-May-16 11:38:25

*it is normal, sorry

EponasWildDaughter Tue 17-May-16 11:40:58

I'd be the same OP smile It's natural to be defensive about your DCs.

But the thing to tell yourself is that this man was not there in a professional capacity - he was just dropping his grandson off - and made a daft call. And you probably wont see him again.

brew

BestZebbie Tue 17-May-16 12:37:59

Perhaps he assumed that you were there for the hot chocolate and he thought he was helping by hurrying your son along out of the street to get it?

RainbowsAndUnicorns5 Tue 17-May-16 12:40:56

Yanbu
Teach your child not to take instructions from strangers

SaucyJack Tue 17-May-16 12:43:59

A bit off topic, but I'm more catsbumfacing at the church from your OP.

Why are they giving kids biscuits before school anyway?

And the gates should be locked.

Hasn't the Elf'n'Safety revolution hit your town yet? It's sounds like it from the sixties.

RainbowsAndUnicorns5 Tue 17-May-16 12:50:05

Yeah you're right saucy
Biscuits before school??? Just brushed their teeth haven't they.

Presumably caretaker opens all gates for drop off & pick up

bigboypants Tue 17-May-16 12:54:04

The school doesn't have it's own car park so the church allow them to use it as their own, I probably should've said that at the beginning.

SaucyJack your 1960s comment has made me laugh, that's exactly what I said to someone when I moved here! I deliberately get there just in time on the days when this is on because having gotten him to brush his teeth before going off to school it does seem stupid to allow him a hot chocolate and a choc chip cookie before he gets through the door, there is no purpose to this whole thing, it is literally a stand inside the door where someone dishes the drinks out, no interaction, nothing. The school has a decent breakfast club if anyone wants to use it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now