Talk

Advanced search

Kids on scooters during school run 😒

(199 Posts)
Heyjude16 Tue 17-May-16 09:45:12

It drives me insane. Small path to school and they come zooming so fast up behind you that if you don't move you get smacked at the back of your legs, and then none of them say please or thank you or excuse me. Drives me insane! 😒

namechangeparents Tue 17-May-16 10:19:12

I hear you OP. And in shopping centres. sad

SavoyCabbage Tue 17-May-16 10:22:59

Our council employs a person to promote scootering to school. Yesterday my dd brought home a poster type thing where she has to travel to school in ten different ways. She pointed out that the footpath was so full of pot holes she wouldn't be able to do half of them!

bellybuttonfairy Tue 17-May-16 10:29:20

YABU re scooters on school run. I often walk the over 2 mile distance to my school with my 9,7 and 4 year old. The little one would struggle without a scooter.

YANBU regarding rudeness when you get knocked by a child with no apology.

WorraLiberty Tue 17-May-16 10:33:55

They're a huge danger around here because the roads are so narrow, that people can legally park on the pavements.

Around the school (which is in a massively residential area), your heart goes in your mouth sometimes at the near misses, with cars parking up on the pavements or trying to reverse from driveways.

I've banned them from my school crossing and make the kids get off and push them across, because they tend to want to just shoot across the road, before I've stopped the traffic on both sides.

Some parents have got arsey about it but it's tough as far as I'm concerned.

Unicow Tue 17-May-16 10:58:57

Getting to school on a scooter fine but imo they should be removed from the child/made to push them once you hit the inevitable school gate traffic jumble. If they aren't you get kids scootering into cars, between cars, into kids, prams and parents etc. Our school has banned scooters in school grounds. They have to push bikes and scooters to the lock up area.

Babyroobs Tue 17-May-16 12:20:15

At my dd's school they banned them due to numerous accidents and near misses. I hate it when parents allow their kids to ride them around supermarkets too, highly annoying but it seems to happen a lot round here.

vladthedisorganised Tue 17-May-16 23:25:21

YABU - it's not just scooters.
DD scooters to school. She knows to walk it across the road, not to weave in and out of others and always to walk it in crowded places. I've also drummed it into her that she has to give way to any pedestrians coming the other way. We have ridiculously narrow paths by the school and the kids on scooters are generally OK. The cars who park up on the pavement and swing the passenger door into the shins of oncoming pedestrians, the prams that clang into the back of your legs when you're recovering from being brained on the shins by a car door and the bikes that can't decide whether to cycle on the pavement or on the road so just swap between the two are much more of an issue.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 17-May-16 23:27:03

When I become Empress of the World, I'm going to ban scooters.

MadHattersWineParty Tue 17-May-16 23:35:51

Kids got to school just fine without scooters back in the day as far as I can recall. We walked. radical.

I detest the days where I am trying to walk to the tube to get to work at around the time school starts and the kids scoot up the narrow alleyway/shortcut. Most parents in their wake offering up a token reed-thin 'be careful!' as they take your bloody heel off.

I feel sorry for old people who must be utterly bewildered and frightened as they get zipped past at breakneck speed.

RockMeMomma Tue 17-May-16 23:37:24

Yanbu. I can't believe how many parents let their children scoot around on them, unsupervised, near busy roads. Having said that, some of the parents could do with a revision course on road safety where we live.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 17-May-16 23:41:00

I used to wear massive DMs on the school run to protect my legs and feet from the onslaught of the scooter squad.

Does no one else worry these kids will end up with one leg longer than the other? Or do they alternate??

EarthboundMisfit Tue 17-May-16 23:49:08

Come to our school...we have a PARENT who scooters, she's more of a liability than the children.

paxillin Tue 17-May-16 23:56:15

I've done the daily school run for years now. It's a huge primary, half the kids on scooters. Never been hit. It's just kids on a slightly safer vehicle than a bike for them. It's fun, they get exercise. If I saw these dangerous situations that require protective footwear all the time it'd be different of course. They do have to push them near the gates and on the school ground, which they do.

silverpenny Wed 18-May-16 00:00:51

What is ever more annoying than children on scooters is parents on scooters.

Notcontent Wed 18-May-16 00:04:53

They might seem annoying but there are worse things. My dd has scootered since she was 2 (she is 10 now!) and has never in that time hit anyone.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NickiFury Wed 18-May-16 00:11:35

Loads of kids use them on our school run. Can't say it's ever bothered me. They make life a lot easier for the parent don't they especially when they have long distances to cover. My kids are far more willing to get out and do stuff if they can go on their scooters.

NickiFury Wed 18-May-16 00:12:57

Oh and I will be buying a scooter too for for myself for the summer, no need to be driving everywhere then smile

Sammysamread34 Wed 18-May-16 00:14:35

It's the Mum's that are the real issue! I have 3 dc's, 2 boys at school and 1 at nursery...the rudeness of the majority of mum's is unbelievable! Mostly I'm struggling and usually running late grin...but most of the time I find the parents to be in a little cluster of complete blissful ignorance, far too busy chatting than to worry that they are taking up the entire path...often forcing myself and littlest onto road! Even when I stand my ground and stop, mostly I get barged with not so much as a sorry. If this is not the case, then they are gathered in a group on the corner, by the entrance to the road, blocking any man, woman or child (with or without scooter) whilst gassing away about their next plates session wink....rudeness often stems from the parents! grin

Witchend Wed 18-May-16 00:17:24

I'm a bit surprised that people are being hit by them. A lot of children ride on scooters to the local infants, and I had dc there for 9 years. I didn't once see a child hit an adult while scooting. I have occasionally seen an adult hit another (accidentally) while carrying one, most often their own ankle.

We used to have a cantankerous old man ( yes he really was in other ways too!) who used to deliberately step into the paths of children, sometimes several times, and I never saw any hit him either. They were excellent at swerving or stopping.

blueberryporridge Wed 18-May-16 00:20:43

YANBU if children on scooters are colliding with you. They need to learn to go on them properly and watch where they are going.

But I think that YABU in principle. Scooters are a great way of getting small children to cover longer distances in a quick and easy way, and they allow me to get my two to school and in and out of town without having to use the car, which means more exercise and a bit less pollution.

NickiFury Wed 18-May-16 00:20:50

Oh people can always find something to moan about can't they? I've never yet been hit or seen or heard of anyone being hit by a child on a scooter except here on MN. In fact there's a lot of things that supposedly happen on MN that I have never seen or heard of in RL. It's a place that's just full of surprises and unusual scenarios isn't it?

zad716 Wed 18-May-16 06:53:56

My annoyance are the kids that come up behind us, ask us to move out of their way, but then get to a road they need to cross so they wait for their mum. We overtake and then of course it all happens again and again.

my2bundles Wed 18-May-16 06:57:37

My ds scooters to school as do many children. He has never rammed anyone's legs, Other parents allow him and others to pass if they reach them. I would much rather he was out in the fresh air getting exercise before his long stint sitting in a classroom than sitting in a car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now