Talk

Advanced search

To feel less than keen to return to this salon?

(19 Posts)
MouseyLouse Mon 16-May-16 19:15:56

I received a generous gift voucher from my parents for christmas for a spa/salon. The voucher has to be used within the next few weeks. A couple of weeks ago I went with my mum to find out how far in advance we needed to book. I was keen to use the spa specifically and have a few treatments.

The receptionist immediately latched on to the fact that my highlights were growing out, and was encouraging me to use the vouchers in the salon instead. She told me that I had the sort of natural hair colour that didn't suit anyone and that I was very mousey. Probably true, but nobody wants to be told that! My hair has been falling out badly so I had decided to take a break from the chemicals.

This was a couple of weeks ago and I still don't feel I want to return. But obviously I need to make use of the gift. I feel ashamed to go without my hair altered to use the spa, but really don't want to get my hair done there. It's the only branch of a well known chain operating in my city from what I can see. Obviously I can't let my vouchers go without being used but it's no longer something I'm looking forward to.

AIBU to feel so sensitive about it?

IthinkIamsinking Mon 16-May-16 19:19:07

Um...... a receptionist suggested you use your voucher for highlights but you want to use the spa...... and now you don't want to go back. Am I missing something?

RaeSkywalker Mon 16-May-16 19:20:51

Just book into the spa over the phone. I'm sure it will be fine smile

Tessticklesyourfancy Mon 16-May-16 19:22:00

Very rude of the receptionist but don't let her put you off. I'd phone up to book whatever treatments you fancy, I'm sure all those will be on their website so you can have a good look at the details. I certainly wouldn't be put off from using the voucher but unless I was really impressed with the service when had the treatments is not consider going back. You may
Not even see the rude one when you go.

CoolforKittyCats Mon 16-May-16 19:22:09

Sorry I don't get it. ...

Clandestino Mon 16-May-16 19:22:13

Huh? You don't want to use the spa without having your hair done but at the same time you don't want to have your hair done or what?
How old are you, 10?

Amummyatlast Mon 16-May-16 19:24:59

I get it. The receptionist has been rude about OP's hair and OP doesn't really want to go back to somewhere that made her feel like crap.

Catinthecorner Mon 16-May-16 19:28:10

I'm so sorry she's taken the shine off what should be a lovely treat for you.

I'd give the management the heads up on her attitude, it's hardly good PR/marketing for them. A good receptionist might point out you can use the vouchers in the salon as well as the spa, and tell you about the fabulous colourist the salon has. They shouldn't make rude comments about the customers.

Go, and have a statement ready for if she comments again so you don't feel flustered and embarrassed. Perhaps 'that is an incredibly rude and inappropriate comment, and if like to speak to someone from the management team please'.

Auburn2000 Mon 16-May-16 19:28:18

I wouldn't want to go back either if the receptionist had been so judgemental about my hair! That is not the way to attract regular customers - and there's no such thing as a natural hair colour that suits nobody, imo.
Can you find any online reviews of the spa/salon to see the kind of experiences that others have had? If it seems like just the receptionist is pushy but the spa staff are ok, maybe go there just this time (with a friend/mum) to use the vouchers up, then not go back again ever.

Clandestino Mon 16-May-16 19:29:22

The receptionist has been rude about OP's hair and OP doesn't really want to go back to somewhere that made her feel like crap.

Is it such a problem to tell the receptionist politely to go and fuck herself sideways? She is talking to someone who's paying her wages through her custom.

Dvallin Mon 16-May-16 19:30:19

Has there been an outbreak of stupid on here or something? The OP isn't remotely hard to understand. hmm

OP, I'd assume the receptionist had been told to drum up business for the hair salon, or was friendly with one of the hairdressers renting a chair there.

Just book in for the spa and any treatments you want, the receptionist probably forgot all about you the minute you walked out the door. You'll be fine.

CoolforKittyCats Mon 16-May-16 19:32:11

Has there been an outbreak of stupid on here or something? The OP isn't remotely hard to understand.

No

However there does seem to be an outbreak of extreme rudeness. No need.

IthinkIamsinking Mon 16-May-16 19:33:07

Has there been an outbreak of stupid on here or something?
Are you the source then? hmm

thenightsky Mon 16-May-16 19:37:01

It seems to be a day for rude hairdressers on MN

cansu Mon 16-May-16 19:37:17

Book whatever you want. Think about what you would like to say to a rude comment like that next time. Maybe something like I have decided not to colour my hair for the moment and in any case I have a regular salon, thank you very much. Said with a big smile and a confident head tilt. She was a bit pushy and some might say rude, but you need to hook up your big girl pants a bit. enjoy your spa, remember you are the customer. She isn't doing you a favour.

Chewbecca Mon 16-May-16 19:50:35

Book it on the phone.

Ignore the silly girl. I bet she's been promised a bonus or something for getting new highlight customers.

Lymmmummy Mon 16-May-16 20:15:02

Oh god - that's dreadful - would just use the spa and leave the hairdresser - could be she is incentivise to promote highlights could just be she is a bit thick - book on phone tie your hair back - you are going to the spa

It reminded me of when last week I was at a make up counter I was trying a tinted moisturiser top brand - I told make up artist I was 40 so needed a bit more moisture - well she made several comments afterwards along lines of "oh yes my mum has that problem" at one point she even asked if my eyebrows were my own (they are) "because when my mum was young they all plucked them and now she has none left" I found it quite hilarious - girl was mid 20's so although I am definitely closer in age to her mum I was still a good decade off realistically being the age of her mother. Problem is they often pick pretty young girls in these types of roles and don't realise how their lack of skills can negatively impact on the interaction with customers -

MouseyLouse Mon 16-May-16 22:16:05

Thanks everyone. Sorry for causing confusion, I thought I'd written in a way that made sense.

I should have said something but I can lack confidence and just stood a bit like shock. I find it hard to believe she didn't know she'd hurt my feelings.

Ive been blonde since I was 15, so trying to go natural was a big deal for me, and as I said I was suffering from severe hair loss so it was all the more frustrating. I will sort myself out though and go with my manky hair and have some hopefully less judgemental treatments!

ClarkeyCat Mon 16-May-16 22:29:03

You did make sense OP. She was very rude. You are doing the right thing giving your hair a break and I'm sure it doesn't look manky! Hope you enjoy your spa treatments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now