I helped a guy with a flat battery in the car park

(110 Posts)
MrsSeanBean Mon 16-May-16 18:42:45

Here's the scenario. I was leaving McDonald's (don't judge me for that!) with DS recently, when a man asked me if I can help him jump start his car as his battery is flat. I said I didn't have any leads ... he interjected that was no problem as he did have leads. So I opened the car bonnet, he connected his leads and started his engine. Problem solved, no more than a couple of minutes of my time lost...or so I thought.

On mentioning this to DH today he nearly spat out his dinner, and said what a fool I was, what a cheek the guy had, he must need a new battery, why was he driving around with a dodgy battery, he should have called his recovery company, and that he (DH) would never dream of asking anyone to help etc etc

I said 'but what if he (guy in car park) doesn't have enough money for a new battery right now, and likewise doesn't have a recovery company? And what had I to lose?

DH then proceeded to tell me that he could have wrecked the car and caused a lot of damage if he'd connected the leads wrongly.

It didn't occur to me that I did anything except the reasonable and helpful thing to do. But given DH's (to me, very odd) response I am now wondering if I am some kind of gullible freak.

Over to you, wise MNers...

NarpIsNotACunt Mon 16-May-16 18:44:54

I don't think so.

Anyone with an old car is fairly used to this scenario.

Your DH sounds a bit mistrustful. It's a shame he would ask for help because e have met some lovely neighbours who have helped us.

Lumpylumperson Mon 16-May-16 18:46:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WellIGuessThisIsGrowingUp Mon 16-May-16 18:46:40

I have jump started my car when the battery was on the way out , don't really think it is a big issue

MrsBungle Mon 16-May-16 18:46:52

I'd probably help someone in that situation if I could. I don't think yabu.

situatedknowledge Mon 16-May-16 18:47:11

Your DH has a really odd and I hope unusual attitude. You'd have to really not be paying attention to connect the leads wrongly because they are always colour coded.

Well done OP!

WellErrr Mon 16-May-16 18:47:37

Your DH is being a drama llama. You did a good deed today!

Kariana Mon 16-May-16 18:48:24

Wow massive overreaction from you DH. There isn't enough kindness in the world and you were just helping out, there was no need for him to go on like that. You aren't a gullible fool, I would have done the same as you.

Clandestino Mon 16-May-16 18:48:38

Your DH's reaction is so OTT he's probably knocking on the ISS door as we are speaking.
Flat battery can happen to everybody. You leave the lights on and turn off the engine, it's a bit cold, you need a new battery just haven't had the time to organize it just yet ..... It's what makes us human and keep this world going. Is your DH otherwise a normal, compassionate human being or has he always been a fan of eat or be eaten?

Ifailed Mon 16-May-16 18:48:46

you are not a gullible freak. Your DH, on the other hand, sounds like a complete dick.

biscuitkumquat Mon 16-May-16 18:49:08

I would have done exactly the same OP, and I was previously discussing this with a friend who is a mechanic, and apparently it can be very bad for the engine of my car (Audi), and if it does then have a problem, it can void the warranty.

bewarethewalkers Mon 16-May-16 18:49:37

Direct DH to www.getagrip.com. OP, you did a nice thing.

Janefromdowntheroad Mon 16-May-16 18:49:44

Way over dramatic of your DP. I can't think of a man I know who would sit and wait for a recovery truck for a flat battery! Especially if they had leads on them.

bewarethewalkers Mon 16-May-16 18:50:30

Just realised that's a real website blush

cozietoesie Mon 16-May-16 18:51:01

I wouldn't agree to a stranger doing it - your DH is right about the potential for damage if done wrongly. His reaction seems very....combative towards you though. Is he like this on other matters?

VoyageOfDad Mon 16-May-16 18:51:08

I've asked strangers before, last resort being the AA. I think he's over reacting.

But you do need to be careful that the negative / positive cables are on the right bits of the battery.

But thought it's the car being charged that's at risk of having its electrics fried.

Pinkheart5915 Mon 16-May-16 18:51:43

Your DH sounds very dramatic. You done a nice deed!

I'd defiantly help some body in that situation

NarpIsNotACunt Mon 16-May-16 18:51:56

I don't think it's beyond the wit of woman to get the leads the right way round

imip Mon 16-May-16 18:52:56

Even if my dh was SeanBean, I'd still be cross at him smile

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Mon 16-May-16 18:53:15

WTF is he on about. You did a good thing.

MrsSeanBean Mon 16-May-16 18:53:51

DH has a completely different world view to me and yes he's often a dick. I accepted it long ago. But that (and why on earth I am with him still ) is a whole other thread!

Gabilan Mon 16-May-16 18:58:12

Did DH think the stranger was just trying to chat you up? Still a massive over-reaction but possible.

NarpIsNotACunt Mon 16-May-16 18:59:56

Gabilan

Yes I wondered that

Is your DH a jealous man, OP?

steff13 Mon 16-May-16 19:00:00

DH then proceeded to tell me that he could have wrecked the car and caused a lot of damage if he'd connected the leads wrongly.

This is true; if he had connected the lead incorrectly, he could have caused a lot of damage to your car. But, as long as you know how to connect them correctly, I see no reason not to help out.

ratspeaker Mon 16-May-16 19:01:10

I have jump started cars before. Dont see the problem.

Would have been worse if you were trying to bump start a car, been then, done that too. ( worse in terms of pushing the damn thing)

You did a nice thing OP.
Maybe one day you will need someone to help you out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now