Advanced search

Social Services or not?

(24 Posts)
UnsureWhatToDo1 Mon 16-May-16 17:48:54

I know I'm more sensitive to sights I see than some, so I want to run this past people first. I'll change some details so it isn't obvious if they ever read this.

DS recently brought a few games off of eBay. The person we brought off of lives very close, you could literally walk, so i thought it would be easier to collect. They wasn't too happy about that, but agreed.

When we arrived, it was dirty, very dirty. There was a little boy, maybe 2/3 asleep on a mattress from a toy cot or something on the kitchen floor, which was right next to the cat litter tray, which was scratching at the litter causing a few bits to go on to the mattress thing. The partner of this woman tripped over a baby (who was around 7 months) and he/she (couldn't actually tell) was crying and he didn't bother to even turn around to check. I asked if they were okay (to the woman about the baby) and she was just said yes and quickly shut the living room door, so I could no longer see the baby. It was all odd...

I just don't know if it's something you would report?? Tia

Beth2511 Mon 16-May-16 17:52:04

Report it!

Fourormore Mon 16-May-16 17:52:49

I would report that, yes.

Oysterbabe Mon 16-May-16 17:54:28

Of course report it. They're probably already on their radar.

sepa Mon 16-May-16 17:55:09

I would report it!

FutureGadgetsLab Mon 16-May-16 17:55:54

I'd say report it, although I feel uncomfortable saying that. It does sound worrying though.

MintJulip Mon 16-May-16 17:57:26

yes without a doubt.

would ss get round their urgently or I wonder do you also call the police> to remedy the immediate issues with the baby next to cat shit tray>

yorkshapudding Mon 16-May-16 17:57:45

If the home conditions were dirty/cluttered enough to potentially pose a risk to the children's health then, yes, it should be reported.

MintJulip Mon 16-May-16 17:58:10

I cant think of any reason, why a toddler would need to be asleep next to a cat litter tray on a mattress.

MintJulip Mon 16-May-16 17:58:37

who would lovingly place their dc there?

ForeverLivingMyArse Mon 16-May-16 18:00:16

Nobody, but it's not a police matter.

Phone SS, absolutely.

yorkshapudding Mon 16-May-16 18:00:57

would ss get round their urgently or I wonder do you also call the police> to remedy the immediate issues with the baby next to cat shit tray>

The police would just refer to social care anyway. Also, as someone who works with children and has cause to make regular referrals to SS, a child being in close proximity to a cats little tray would not come close to being classed as an emergency. They will investigate but they won't be rushing straight round there with blue flashing lights or anything.

FutureGadgetsLab Mon 16-May-16 18:01:58

The police won't come to remove a shitty tray. It's a SS issue.

yorkshapudding Mon 16-May-16 18:02:36

Sorry that wasn't very clear. I meant SS will investigate but won't class it as an emergency. The police would just pass it onto SS as its a social care issue not a police matter.

Aeroflotgirl Mon 16-May-16 18:09:51

Yes SS, looks like neglect sad.

PerpendicularVincent Mon 16-May-16 18:51:37

Definitely report it

JellyBellyKelly Mon 16-May-16 18:55:37

As the mother of a child removed from their birth parents for neglect... Yes, please report.

JellyBellyKelly Mon 16-May-16 18:56:10

due to neglect, I should have written.

Kruckshany Mon 16-May-16 18:56:14

Report and give as many details as possible. SS in some areas will only go to dire cases. The more info you can give the better. The children sound young enough to be in no formal education yet and so neglect wouldn't necessarily be picked up elsewhere.

Afreshstartplease Mon 16-May-16 18:57:40

I would report

Poor baby

MrsSeanBean Mon 16-May-16 18:59:02

My advice would be always go with your gut instinct: report and leave it to SS to take further if need be.

apple1992 Mon 16-May-16 19:00:38

I would report. Can't do any harm but might do a whole lot of good.

Fabbyshopper Mon 16-May-16 19:05:18

I think you should definitely report this to social services. This is neglect. Those children's needs are not being met.

You can make a referral to Children's Services anonymously. It will still be reviewed in the same way.

I suspect they maybe known to services already as the woman was keen to stop you seeing in the house, so information about the current conditions will be relevant.

Ilovewillow Mon 16-May-16 19:10:51

I would report it, they may already be under the care of SS but you wouldn't forgive yourself if something big terrible happened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now