Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ban their dog?

(25 Posts)
VixenGD Mon 16-May-16 09:21:11

Me, OH and DD have recently moved into a new council place. A couple with whom we're close friends helped us decorate it as we moved in a hurry.
Said couple have now adopted a puppy. Now every time we invite them over they ask if they can bring the dog.
However I am allergic to dogs and though I will take antihistamines if visiting people with dogs I don't want to have to do so in my own home, and the OH is a cat person who doesn't like dogs at the best of times. Also both next doors have cats which constantly end up in our garden
AIBU to expect them to leave their dog at home?

OurBlanche Mon 16-May-16 09:28:55

Your allergy is enough for you to say no and for them never to ask again.

YANBU in any way shape or form!

seasonticket Mon 16-May-16 09:31:10

They're asking first, not showing up with the pup in tow. That means they are prepared for the answer "no".
"Oh, I'd love to see him but my allergies are really bad and they stay bad for days after he's been over!"

NannawifeofBaldr Mon 16-May-16 09:31:15

It was nice of them to help you move/decorate. That doesn't give them a free pass to out their dog above your health though.

Just say 'no' and explain why. Good friends should understand why although some people do get funny about their dogs.

Oysterbabe Mon 16-May-16 09:39:02

Surely you just say no. Where's the Problem?

VixenGD Mon 16-May-16 09:40:54

Thanks guys. Felt really bad. And they've been slightly funny about it "why can't you take antihistamines like when you come to our house?" Etc etc.
I do love animals. They're just bad for my health!

OurBlanche Mon 16-May-16 09:42:38

Ah!

"Because I can't put my whole house in the washing machine when you leave, like I do with my clothes when we get home from yours"

Nanny0gg Mon 16-May-16 09:43:35

Surely there is potential for your allergy to continue to bother you after they've left? So very unreasonable for them to bring the dog into your home.

BarbarianMum Mon 16-May-16 09:47:02

<<And they've been slightly funny about it "why can't you take antihistamines like when you come to our house?" >>

That would piss me off. Explain to them firmly that you don't want to have to steam clean all your soft furnishings and carpets to get rid of dander when they've left.

I share your pain (although it's cats, horses and rabbits with me). When we bought this house I had to steam clean twice plus get rid of a carpet before we could move in as the previous owners had a cat. Had to leave 1 min into a viewing of another as they had a house rabbit (I'm really allergic to horses and rabbits) and wouldn't consider it in case I couldn't get rid of all traces. Luckily no one ever asks to bring a horse round smile

Willow2016 Mon 16-May-16 09:47:34

Definately say "no" as pp said dog hairs will stick around for days and aggravate your alergies for ages.

Plus its your house why would you have to put up with dogs shedding all over your furniture and the house smelling of dog if you dont want to?

Their dog their problem. They should have thought of that before they got it, not everyone loves dogs or wants them in their home.

BTW I like dogs but can see your point of view and would never impose on anyone who didnt want dogs around them.

BombadierFritz Mon 16-May-16 09:50:56

Yanbu but it might mean they dont visit. I wouldnt take my dog to the house of someone who is allergic as it is clear to me that the allergen is going to'infect' the house. But i havent actually seen one friend at all since getting a dog because of that. I guess we were not such close friends that i could be bothered leaving dog at home just to go to her house

glassgarden Mon 16-May-16 09:53:18

slightly funny about it "why can't you take antihistamines like when you come to our house
Wtf😤
Their furbaby takes precedence over everything and you should take medication so that you can accommodate it😱

Ditch these batshit dog people asap

BombadierFritz Mon 16-May-16 10:00:03

They probably just genuinely dont see why it is different so you need to explain. Op is apparently happy to visit them and just takes an antihistamine. Some people will have pets and take them daily so they can continue living with their pets. Op, quite understandably, doesnt want to have to take them for a week after a visit but her friends might just not realise that the allergens stay in the environment after the dog has left

nonicknameseemsavailable Mon 16-May-16 10:05:57

absolutely not - I wouldn't want anyone bringing a dog into my house, I am a bit funny about pets in houses, hygiene etc and as I have newish carpets and sofas I wouldn't want a dog in.

RB68 Mon 16-May-16 10:17:05

people don't realise its the dog hair you are allergic to not their pet - so when he goes home and has shed everywhere you are left still suffering for days so not acceptable - just say no and sorry but however hard they try there will be dog hairs if he comes and that is what causes the problem for you and its where you live

NannawifeofBaldr Mon 16-May-16 10:20:49

To be honest I'd ban all dogs coming into my house if I could (and I'm not allergic)

My PILs are very considerate about their dog but the house still smells when he's visited (and he's a clean dog).

ZippyNeedsFeeding Mon 16-May-16 10:21:15

I love my dog, but I would never take him with me when I was visiting friends. It just seems odd to me. With a puppy I just wouldn't go if he really couldn't be left.

If the person I was visiting was allergic to dogs then I wouldn't even consider it. It's really insulting that they think you should let them fill your house will allergens/let their puppy chew your soft furnishings/mop up puppy puddles because it might not be convenient for them to leave the puppy at home.

ChihuahuaChick Mon 16-May-16 11:42:34

YANBU, and they are BU to get funny with you. You suck it up and take antihistamines when you visit because you understand that it's their home and they want the dog there - they need to understand that your home is your home and you don't want the dog there.

I love my dog but I don't expect to take her to people's houses and I don't understand why people do, to be honest. I mean maybe if the other people had a dog that my dog liked and a big enclosed garden for them to bounce around together, but otherwise, WTF?

TheNaze73 Mon 16-May-16 11:44:02

Your house, your rules. End of. YANBU

Alwayschanging1 Mon 16-May-16 11:53:26

My friends asked if they could bring their new puppy round - when they arrived they put newspaper down in the front room for the puppy to use as a toilet. I was literally speechless as they let him have a crap in my front room. shockshockshock

AnUtterIdiot Mon 16-May-16 11:56:31

Oh LORD, people are ridiculous with their dogs. My dog stays at home if people don't want dogs in their house. I love him but I accept that other people won't necessarily feel the same way.

"why can't you take antihistamines when he comes over?" - ask them if they'll pay for an 8 hour deep clean afterwards to get his hair and dander out of the house.

YANBU!

CatThiefkeith Mon 16-May-16 12:33:36

Yanbu my dog is barred from my parents house, even though they love her, since their cat is terrified of her and she once took a swim in their koi pond.

😳😳😳

ProudAS Mon 16-May-16 17:28:05

YANBU at all - it's your home and the place you most need to be allergen free.

TheMaddHugger Mon 16-May-16 17:43:52

*tell them because when you visit them, You are only there for a short time.

But when Pup is at Your place it infects the home you live in, so You cannot escape the fur/allergy/whatever*.

Cubtrouble Mon 16-May-16 20:10:49

We have friends with a dog and usually get a message on the morning on them visiting saying they are bringing it. Last time it jumped all over my sofa. Not happy

It's big hairy and it stinks. I like dogs but not in my house. I also don't like them near my kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now