Advanced search

Nightmare neighbour. AIBU to just give up?

(12 Posts)
LetsDoTheYogiBear Sun 15-May-16 23:09:46

Young girl lives above me with her two children who I would say are both under 5. Only guessing here as never see them in school uniform/about during the day. They arent babies- think "grown up toddler". They seem to be very close in age.

This girl must be early/mid 20s. When I met her she seemed nice enough, explained it was the first time she had lived alone. My parents own my flat, she is renting through an agency

The children leave on a Thursday night and return Sunday morning. This usually means upstairs is a constant party and people are coming and going at all hours- it isnt unusual to hear music at 3/4 in the morning. Sundays are shit as well as she is obviously always suffering from a hangover and you can hear her screaming abuse at her children.

Other neighbours can hear it going on but arent affected as much as are further away. I know one person has made a complaint, not sure of others.

I knocked a few weeks ago after it had been going on for a few weeks. I asked her it she would mind restricting the parties a little as I work 6 days a week. I said I understand she wants a social life and is enjoying having her own place without parental restriction but not sleeping until the early hours and getting up at 7am means im not very productive at work and my boss has picked up on this and has given me one of his "chats". I was met with a barrage of abuse. I told her unless she was willing to compromise I would be left with no choice to contact her letting agency (neighbours have told me as they are responsible for the rental apartments in complex) and make a formal complaint. Met with another barage of abuse and cue her mother banging on my door at 11pm on a Monday evening to ask me "what the fuck I was doing threatning her daughter and she should cave my head in right here right now". I phoned the police and they went for a chat and cautioned her.

This is still going on. Since Thursday night I have possibly had about 10 hours sleep and ive worked 28 hours since then. So im fucking exhausted. I have rang the letting agency, sent countless emails, recordings of what it sounds like in my flat at 2am. They arent willing to shift her. The police have been round 3 times in the past month, no idea what for but she is cleary up to no good.

Ive had enough. Im seriously thinking about moving and telling my parents to sell the place.


starfishmummy Sun 15-May-16 23:15:45

They arent willing to shift her

Well they cant just chuck her out. There's a legal process to follow

AnotherPrickInTheWall Sun 15-May-16 23:21:30

Have you contacted the local council ? There are laws about unnecessary levels of noise pollution.
I have found my council be very helpful about such matters.

LetsDoTheYogiBear Sun 15-May-16 23:28:47

I get that I really do. But my flat sounds like an mid summer after party at Ibiza rocks for 3 nights a week. And then Sunday she spends most of the day screaming "shut up your silly little cunt" at her children. Not to mention the people who loiter outside the complex, the rubbish they leave (which to be fair, she eventually picks up), the fact people park in front of the gates to the complex meaning people cant leave (never usually a problem as they have dispersed by then- but imagine if someone had to get out in an emergency?)

Hillfarmer Sun 15-May-16 23:50:06

I feel very sorry for her children. I wonder if they are on any at risk register themselves?

CanadaMoose Mon 16-May-16 00:08:05

Keep registering noise complaints with the police, and I'd call social services and report verbal abuse for those poor kids. Get some earplugs to ride it out - I can't imagine it'll last much longer with the proper authorities involved. Good luck!

manicmij Mon 16-May-16 00:20:41

Inform the Local Authority about the noise levels and frequency. Also the shouting at the kids could be of interest to Social Services (wouldn't be surprised if already involved).
Ask the letting agency for owners contact details and get in touch directly. Letting Agency has a responsibility to act on noise complaints e.g. inform owner of flat. Local Authority can install a meter in your house to measure the noise levels.
Don't give up.

JustLostTheGame Mon 16-May-16 00:27:32

Social services every time you witness/hear abuse.
Council/noise team every time there is a party after 11pm
Agency every time there is a problem.
Police every time there is a threat/agression against you.

wash, rinse repeat. Keep reporting with all agencies.

WiddlinDiddlin Mon 16-May-16 00:27:53

YANBU - you will really need to keep a diary, and contact the local authority (its likely to be environmental health department) about the repeat noise nuisance.

They will want you to keep a diary of the disturbances, so have that in hand when you speak to them, and see if you can fast track the process to getting recording equipment to measure the decibel level and record the noise.

You could just move out and sell up but be aware you will have to be open about the issues with the neighbour upstairs as the police have been involved - this is going to put off buyers and slow down any sale.

Notcontent Mon 16-May-16 00:30:59

That's terrible. In my opinion there should be a ban on people having loud parties, etc after a certain hour. Keep calling the council.

fatmomma99 Mon 16-May-16 01:06:16

Agencies will help you, but not immediately. They need evidence in order to act, so start keeping a diary asap, dates, times, details.

Safeguarding moves quicker than noise pollution, so if you - proper -- think there's neglect or abuse, call SS, but do it all with evidence to back up what you're saying.

Good luck! (and sleep well)

A11TheSmallTh1ngs Mon 16-May-16 03:03:14

Social services every time you witness/hear abuse.
Council/noise team every time there is a party after 11pm
Agency every time there is a problem.
Police every time there is a threat/agression against you.

wash, rinse repeat. Keep reporting with all agencies.*

This is the way to go. Keep reporting. It works. You have to become a bigger nuisance to the agencies than she is to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now