Talk

Advanced search

To object to an allergy test??

(17 Posts)
Tryingtostayyoung Sun 15-May-16 21:27:00

Hi all. Inspired by a similar post I've seen because it had been a reoccurring issue between me and DH.
DD3 all of a sudden around 8weeks ago developed horrific ecszma on her body, took her to the doctor who prescribed her with a daily moisturiser and an anti hystemine and steroid cream to give when needed. It all seemed to be going well and was controlled when about 2weeks after that she had 3 different occasions where she would have it everywhere and again was horrendous. My DH was insistent that he did not think it was ecszma but an allergic reaction to something, now this is where we have the issue. I believe that it is ecszma as I know a lot of toddlers get this and grow out of it quite quickly but he is totally convinced it isn't. After badgering me continuously I took her to the doctors where he very reluctantly referred for an allergy test (he basically laughed at my naivety) and we are awaiting on the letter of the referral, this happened about 2-3weeks ago. Now for the last 2 weeks she has had NO ecszma and I really do not want her to have be allergy test especially as I think it's a phase we have now gotten through pretty quick but DH is still insisting she has it. AIBU??

Potatoface2 Sun 15-May-16 21:33:53

why not have the allergy test.....she maybe allergic to something that triggers the eczema....it will be better for her in the long term as then you can avoid the cause....there are many types of eczema....good luck

HouseOfBiscuits Sun 15-May-16 21:34:01

Could your DH ask the doctor about it, if he has concerns?

MrsLettuce Sun 15-May-16 21:37:47

The National Eczema Association have a lot of information, might be worth you both reading up a bit TBH. Here's their causes and triggers page.

I hope it stays calm, eczema can be so horrid flowers

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tryingtostayyoung Sun 15-May-16 21:39:04

If I am being brutally honest the reason that I don't want her to have an allergy test is because I read a while ago that if everyone had an allergy test it would come up with all sorts that people would have never had any clue they were allergic too in the first place. My DH is a complete and utter hypochondriac/dramatic and if anything comes up on there he will insist she doesn't go anywhere near it ever which I suspect would cause huge problems with us because speaking as someone who has always had numerous allergies, exposing myself to them sometimes in the end gives some sort of immunity? (If you want to call it that)

Tryingtostayyoung Sun 15-May-16 21:42:25

Obviously if it came up that she had a high percentage of an allergy to something that would be different but I'm talking about slight small ones. Also as I stated before I do not think what so ever it is an allergy if I did for one second I wouldn't hesitate to get it done

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sun 15-May-16 21:49:16

Are you seeing a doctor in the allergy clinic, who can discuss the results with you including the chance of false positives, or just having a test with no discussion?

Potatoface2 Sun 15-May-16 21:50:52

exposing yourself to an allergy does not give you immunity....its to do with the histimine release in your body not your immune system. I started out with a slight reaction to latex....it has gradually got worse and now i have to carry an epipen for anaphylaxis....im glad i know what im allergic to as it has helped my exzema much more than any ointments or creams ever did....if it turns out not not be an allergy at least you know

Wolfiefan Sun 15-May-16 21:53:04

Did the steroid get rid of it and then you stopped using it?
Often it takes a while to find the right emollient. And use that lots. Slather it on. Several times a day!

PaulAnkaTheDog Sun 15-May-16 21:53:32

Op, I might be wrong but I think you are referring to intolerances rather than allergies in your follow up post?

Tryingtostayyoung Sun 15-May-16 21:56:39

As far as I know we are being referred to an actual doctor, the letter hasn't actually come through yet.

Potatoeface speaking as someone then who has ecszma induced from an allergy do you not think you can tell the difference between an allergic attack and just normal ecszma? Because I have both aswell and I can definitely see a difference which is what is making me believe that hers isnt.

Most people who have ecszma don't get an allergy test do they?

Tryingtostayyoung Sun 15-May-16 21:57:38

No we barely needed to use the steroid, maybe once or twice, it just went on its own in the end.

Basketofchocolate Sun 15-May-16 21:58:33

Sounds like an allergic reaction. No one who has tests done through the NHS (or private prob) i.e. properly done by a medical professional is going to have the experience you've read about. What they will find by doing the tests is either that your DC has eczema, sometimes and will get over it easily with some moisturiser, of b) you'll discover that it was an allergic reaction to one thing.

You'll find that allergy consultants are far better to discuss this with than your GP and won't worry you unduly as there's no need for that.

It is usual for something called 'the allergic march' to occur - that is regular eczema at a few months old, followed by hayfever, allergies, etc. If that is the case, best to know now and avoid ending up in A&E.

Tryingtostayyoung Sun 15-May-16 21:59:29

The general feeling I'm getting from you all is that I should get it done, maybe I was to quick to be against it.

AliceInUnderpants Sun 15-May-16 21:59:48

I think you've been bloody lucky to have a referral for an allergy test within 5 weeks of symptoms starting!

Toddlerteaplease Sun 15-May-16 22:51:13

Sounds more like an allergic reaction to me. Wouldn't have thought eczema comes in very suddenly. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now