Talk

Advanced search

To be worried?

(10 Posts)
Amy214 Sun 15-May-16 20:41:35

My brother and SIL have 2 kids, one is 3years old and the other is 1year old. I am worried about the car seats they are in. In my car the 3 year old is in a high back booster seat (which i paid for myself, i asked them but they refused to pay, shes in my car about 10 journeys every week) the 1 year old isnt in my car at all, due to no space or seat. My dd also travels in my car in a forward facing isofix seat. In there car (3year old) is in a £7 halfords booster seat with no back and (1year old) is in a forward facing seat with no isofix probably around. £30? There car is brand new and has isofix. They see no point in paying over £30 for a seat as its too expensive. 3 year old also travels in the front with said seat. Ive told them that her seat is not safe as the seatbelt does not sit right and it offers her no protection from side impacts. Ive even went as far as showing them a crash test with a booster seat and they still cant see it! They think its fine but i cant get it out of my head, i cant stop thinking about how unsafe she is. My niece loves the seat in my car and keeps going on about how comfy it is and said she wanted one but her mum flat out refused. Should i ignore it and be happy shes safe in my car?

BeYourselfUnlessUCanBeAUnicorn Sun 15-May-16 20:55:40

The problem is, what can you actually do apart from what you have done? I agree with you, they are not in suitable seats at all and it's dangerous and idiotic to put the cost of a car seat above their children's safety but they clearly aren't going to listen. Too many people think car safety seats are something that is optional. A lot of parents I know don't use the correct/any seats when they should. From December booster cushions are only to be used for a child over 125cm, this won't apply to people who already have seats though hmm.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sun 15-May-16 20:57:31

They probably switch off when you talk about it now, the constant lecturing and finding evidence to show them sounds exhausting.

Either change tactic, leave them alone or buy seats yourself, you're going about it the wrong way imo.

Amy214 Sun 15-May-16 21:02:59

I only showed them the video to get my point across, i tried to show them that highback ones are better as the seatbelt sits better. I know the new law comes in december and she is nowhere near 125cm but how can they tell that they bought it months before the law came in? Im also a bit annoyed as they said they would give me the money back but as soon as i told them the price they refused, so i said that i would keep it (i could use it for dd when she was older?) and they were annoyed at me?

Amy214 Sun 15-May-16 21:03:41

Even if i went as far as buying seats for them they wouldnt use them and sell them online.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sun 15-May-16 21:07:36

If they can't afford seats or don't want to listen then no amount of lecturing from you will change that.

Couldn't you lend them the car seat until your dd grows into it?

Amy214 Sun 15-May-16 21:20:08

They dont want it, money isnt an issue, they both work.

Amy214 Sun 15-May-16 21:20:42

I just dont understand if they dont want it then why were they annoyed when i said i would keep it?

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sun 15-May-16 21:27:29

Just because they both work it doesn't mean money isn't an issue.

As I said up thread, change tactic so you don't sound so sanctimonious, just ignore it, or get them seats.

There's nothing else you can do.

Amy214 Sun 15-May-16 22:07:02

They have told me themselves that money isnt an issue as they like to buy themselves new stuff..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now