Talk

Advanced search

To want to wrap my suitcase in cling film

(55 Posts)
OneAPecker Sun 15-May-16 20:19:11

I've noticed recently in airports that people wrap their suitcases in cling film. We are flying to Sweden over half term and I think I'd like to do this too. I'm not really sure why people do it but I guess I like the idea of my bag not being tampered with once it's checked in.

I mentioned to dh and we had a disagreement. He thinks you can't do it because they may want to check the bag when we go through security, and it will take ages to cling film it up again. He also thinks that it's not necessary.

Am I being unreasonable to think that it's a good idea to cling film up the suitcases like everyone else does?

I did a test run today and bought some cling film from the supermarket but it is non-PVC and doesn't stick very well. Anyone know which cling film best to use and how many times to wrap it?

Euphemia Sun 15-May-16 20:20:44

Who do you think will tamper with it?

storminabuttercup Sun 15-May-16 20:21:23

I'm not sure it's just normal cling film, there are station things you can do it at the airport. In my opinion it makes it look like you don't want your case opening

AgentProvocateur Sun 15-May-16 20:21:31

I don't think people do it at home - they get it done at the airport and pay for it. I presumed it was because the locks were broken or something. Seems unnaturally paranoid if it's to stop bags being tampered with. Just get a good lock.

Sighing Sun 15-May-16 20:21:49

Tampered with or painted with a neon flashing light saying "please delay me with additional security checks".

Madbengalmum Sun 15-May-16 20:22:29

If the authorities want to get in your case cling film or not they will.
The cling film thing always quite amuses me. Unless your case is broken and no other way to seal it.

PaulAnkaTheDog Sun 15-May-16 20:22:35

Do that and your guaranteed to have them open it for a rummage. grin

wasonthelist Sun 15-May-16 20:29:50

Am I being unreasonable to think that it's a good idea to cling film up the suitcases like everyone else does?

YABU almost no-one does. It is pointless.

wombthereitis Sun 15-May-16 20:32:32

I think in countries where there's a real risk of someone planting drugs in your suitcase, clingfilming it isn't a bad idea. I always assumed that's what it was for.

GherkinsOnToast Sun 15-May-16 20:32:58

I wouldn't bother going on a short haul flight. We have ours wrapped when we fly into Johannesburg or Nairobi because more often than not if we don't we have suff stolen from our cases.

It's not cling film, it's a stretch plastic they put on at the airport and the cost of £10 per bag!

ImogenTubbs Sun 15-May-16 20:32:59

They have special machines to do it at the airport. I only did it once when our suitcase was so packed I was worried about it bursting open!

RhiWrites Sun 15-May-16 20:35:43

Haha! You don't DIY it at home. It's special stuff that gets put on at the airport!

luggage-point.co.uk/bag-wrap-point

RockMeMomma Sun 15-May-16 20:39:03

I've never heard of people cling filming(?) their cases. It seems odd to me. I think they will just cut it off with a blade and open your case to check it. Ironically, it is almost asking them to tamper with your case

QOD Sun 15-May-16 20:41:08

Yeah it's an airport thing! Did it once when my case was sooooo wedged full that I expected it to explode

LIZS Sun 15-May-16 20:41:47

It isnt regular cling film! They shrink wrap it at the airport, for a fee.

TheDuchessOfArbroathsHat Sun 15-May-16 20:42:01

It's definitely a good idea on some long haul flights to destinations with a crime problem - I've used it flying into Johannesburg recently and I was very far from the only one! Sweden? Hmm - probably not! grin

itsalldyingout Sun 15-May-16 20:42:33

I noticed people wrapping bags in the airport last time I flew, too.

If you don't want to do this, just use a teeny cable tie alongside the lock. If it's not there when you pick your case up, it'll have either been opened by airport staff or tampered with so you can query it before you leave the airport.

My cousin's soft-sided case was targeted by thieves at the airport. Her toiletries, some clothes and her beloved GHDs were taken. She wraps hers now.

Bearbehind Sun 15-May-16 20:44:54

PMSL- you don't do it at home- it's done at the airport with shrink wrap designed for the job.

I've done it when the side of my bag split once but don't really see the point otherwise.

Dizzydodo Sun 15-May-16 20:45:05

I thought it was to stop overly full suitcases bursting open?

chanie44 Sun 15-May-16 20:45:15

I remember seeing people have this done in India.

Like you OP, I was tempted to have at go at home myself - for no reason.

Becky546 Sun 15-May-16 20:45:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SealSong Sun 15-May-16 20:46:53

I once asked someone from Thailand about this cling film thing, she said she always cling films her suitcase and many people do out there, it's so that airline security can get into your suitcase if they need to without breaking locks, (e.g. if padlocked) but also gives some protection against tampering with. She says it is common knowledge in her social circle that some baggage handlers ('in that part of the world' she said, but not exclusive to that region I expect) and other airport staff will steal out of cases if they can and if the case is unprotected.

Pipbin Sun 15-May-16 20:47:13

I've seen it done at the airport.
I don't understand your logic though OP; 'I don't know why people do this but I've seen people doing this so now I want to do it', Why would you want to do something that you don't know the reason for but you just see others doing it?

I don't see the point myself. Anything worth nicking should be in your hand luggage anyway.

HonniBee Sun 15-May-16 20:49:53

It is entirely possible to DIY this, just not with kitchen cling film. My DM regularly flies here from South Africa and as pp said, if you don't take precautions things will get stolen (even with locks)

This is the kind of thing we use:
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00W7QU5XC/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1463341704&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX200_SY289_QL65&keywords=stretch+shrink+wrap&dpPl=1&dpID=11KXwQ4j8QL&ref=plSrch

Haven't said that, I wouldn't bother for Sweden.

Lweji Sun 15-May-16 20:52:35

Unless people are worried about drugs being put in the cases, I don't think there's much point. Even so, how do you prove your suitcase was wrapped up when you checked it in? Do people take photos with the check in person holding a newspaper?
And how do you prove you received it open?
And what was inside?

Personally, I prefer to carry anything more valuable with me and pay for travel insurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now