Talk

Advanced search

To ask at what age DC stop playing regularly?

(19 Posts)
TempusEedjit Sun 15-May-16 17:20:58

By "playing" I mean with toys as opposed to games or electronics, and playing because they actually want to rather than as part of interacting with younger siblings, cousins etc.

I have no idea what's usual (or if indeed there is a "usual").

insancerre Sun 15-May-16 17:27:16

I'm 49 and I still play with toys
It's why I work in a nursery 😜

coco1810 Sun 15-May-16 17:28:52

My DS is 12, still loves electronics and asks for Lego every birthday and christmas but that's about it. He's into colouring and art. He's currently in the garden playing Star wars Battle front with DD who is seven so not completely grown up yet.

Oh and occasionally DD's bath toys still "fall" into his bath time.😍

TheWindInThePillows Sun 15-May-16 17:29:30

It depends on the child, one of mine was never into playing with toys or dolls and stopped imagination games much earlier. The other one loves them and still plays say with lego figures in the bath, she's 10.

SunnySomer Sun 15-May-16 17:32:20

My 9yo does. Particularly cars, Lego and various imaginary things that he creates. Of His friends, some play and some refuse to (actually that's only one child who in many ways is quite.... Unusual).

BrandNewAndImproved Sun 15-May-16 17:37:46

My dc 8 and 10 play cards cribbage especially and board games instead of actual toys now. But they still play with outside toys and will spend hours playing with hulu hoops, chalks, bikes, skateboards ect outside. They're now out with the neighbours dc and their nurf guns.

They haven't played with train sets and dolls since very young although the lego comes out now and again. Mine have only really played with toys when they had friends round. As I'm a slack parent and I don't care about screen time or how much TV they want to watch

Euphemia Sun 15-May-16 17:39:29

DD was probably 11 or 12 when she stopped playing with dolls, Sylvanians, Lego, outside on roller skates, etc.

Stanky Sun 15-May-16 17:44:48

I remember properly playing with Barbies up to about 12, but I did it in secret.

OvO Sun 15-May-16 17:45:16

My 11 year old has never been a toy player. Wasted a lot of money before figuring that out! He likes making stuff or sports but imaginative play has never been his thing. My youngest is the opposite and can see him never growing out the toy stage - like me. grin

So it's a personality thing rather than age thing, I think.

NattyTile Sun 15-May-16 17:50:40

I'm in my forties and still play. As do my children, and most of our wider family.

Juanbablo Sun 15-May-16 18:01:35

Ds1 is 8 and dd is 6 and they don't play with toys very much. Ds1 grew out of it about 2 years ago and he prefers to play outside, football, trampoline, bike and running. If forced inside he and dd will play "schools".

Dd has always been pretty rubbish at playing independently with toys. She loves to draw, write and read.

Ds2 is only 2 so still very much into toys.

springtimevintagedream Sun 15-May-16 18:05:38

I think between 10 and 12.

Those of you who play with toys now, that's presumably because you have young children - you wouldn't go to Toys R Us if you were childless?

TempusEedjit Sun 15-May-16 20:54:16

Thanks for the responses. I was asking because DSS is in year 8 and still plays by himself most days, mainly in the garden with toy guns (kiddie looking ones rather than nerf guns/super soakers etc). I'd assumed that most kids stopped playing regularly with anything other than Lego or board games once they left primary school.

Not that I find DSS's playing a problem as such although I do find the gun noises a bit annoying first thing on a Sunday morning! Was just curious as to when he might reasonably be expected to grow out of it.

allowlsthinkalot Sun 15-May-16 21:04:18

I definitely played with dolls until I was about 14 but had enough social skills not to tell anyone once I started secondary school. I definitely played imaginary games well into the secondary years and an imaginary kitten started secondary school with me!
My friend's 12 year old still very much plays with toys.

Kariana Sun 15-May-16 21:07:21

I played with my dolls well into high school but would never have told anyone. I think we forget that children of that age are still children, no matter how much they want to pretend otherwise!

MrsMook Sun 15-May-16 21:18:43

I also played with dolls until 14. I didn't live near any other children of my own age range so entertained myself in my own fantasy world fed by adventure stories. I never did grow out of playgrounds, children have been a great excuse to get involved in play areas without looking too ridiculous. I like kit for hobbies too.

DH has always been difficult to buy gifts for, so he's normally had toys, things like puzzles, games and super soakers.

haveacupoftea Sun 15-May-16 21:24:25

I played imaginary games until 14 or so too.

Javabeansaintgeorge Sun 15-May-16 21:26:07

oldest child is 12 and still does imaginary play.

Girliefriendlikesflowers Sun 15-May-16 21:28:55

My dd is 10yo and plays with her toys all the time, she plays with playmobil the most frequently but also Moshi monsters, lego, sylvainian families etc. I don't see her out growing it anytime soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now