To give up on washable nappies?

(27 Posts)
ShebaShimmyShake Sun 15-May-16 09:54:01

We were quite excited about using washables... More eco friendly, cheaper etc.

But they just don't seem to work for our daughter. While we could change disposables every couple of hours (unless there's a poo), these need to be changed pretty much as soon as they're wet. Her skin seems dry but the dampness against her makes her uncomfortable. Her skin seems to get red very quickly even with frequent changes.

We're not using all in ones (I heard those are a nightmare to dry), just the cloth rectangles, cloth over-nappy and waterproof cover over that. We use disposable liners between her skin and the nappy. Like I said, her skin feels dry when we change her but she clearly gets very uncomfortable and red very easily. It doesn't seem to "lock" the moisture away the way a disposable does.

Any suggestions or experiences to share? Or are we doing something wrong?

OwlinaTree Sun 15-May-16 09:59:37

How old is she? Are you using a barrier cream?

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Sun 15-May-16 09:59:58

are you using fleece liners? I found they kept my ds's bum nice and dry to touch even when the nappy was sodden. I used fleece liners, then tip off any poo or sluice by holding one end and flushing in the toilet. Then they go in the wash with the nappies. Even less to throw away smile you can buy them too. Little lamb ones are super soft and they have free UK delivery.

ShebaShimmyShake Sun 15-May-16 10:03:15

She's four months. We were advised not to use cream unless she was already red but the more I think of that, the odder it seems.

I'll try fleece liners, thank you....

MsMermaid Sun 15-May-16 10:03:44

Fleece liners sorted out similar problems we were having. The disposable liners gave dd2 such an awful rash, but changing to fleece helped a lot. She stayed in cloth nappies til she potty trained at 2yo.

ShoeJunkie Sun 15-May-16 10:05:11

We use cloth for ds2 (and previously for ds1) - mostly tots bots easy fits and mio solos which are all in ones. I haven't found they take too long to dry and go on just like a disposable (which helped to convince dh!).

Fleece liners (which can just be a cheap fleece blanket cut up) help to wick moisture away from the skin which might make dd more comfortable.

If you wanted to give other nappies a try there are some places that have 'nappy libraries' where you can test different kinds. The Nappy Lady is also very helpful - you can fill in a questionnaire on her website and she can point you to the best kinds of nappy for you (she takes into account drying space, how often you want to do a nappy wash etc). She also has hire kits and if you're local she does workshops. She also has a Facebook group for questions etc.

There is also a nappies section here on mumsnet with lots of knowledgeable people.

Hope that helps!

ShebaShimmyShake Sun 15-May-16 10:07:20

Thanks all... I forgot to mention, she also gets sweaty around the waist where the nappy is. Any help for that?

FutureGadgetsLab Sun 15-May-16 10:10:22

I don't use cloth nappies but I put loads of cream on at every change, regardless of whether he's red. He has had a sore bum a lot less than other kids his age so I would recommend that. I use sudocrem!

Toddzoid Sun 15-May-16 10:11:46

All in ones were the easiest for me to dry... In fact tots bots came out of the washer practically dry! I second fleece liners though, always used those. They're lovely and soft against the skin and absorb a lot.

Toddzoid Sun 15-May-16 10:12:31

Also have some nappy off time on a towel for an hour a day if you can. I used to leave them nuddy after their bath and let them roll around. Nappy rash cream is absolutely fine!

OwlinaTree Sun 15-May-16 10:13:19

I use tots bots, they don't take that long to dry really. Try sudocream when she is red? I like the fleece liners but dh didn't do we use the flushable ones. They are drier though.

wenchystrumpet Sun 15-May-16 10:13:24

Ynbu, I hated the bloody things. Not effective and so much work.

EveryoneElsie Sun 15-May-16 10:15:15

YANBU. There is not difference as far as being eco friendly goes, or with the carbon footprint. In most towns nappy waste in the bins is incinerated, not sent to landfill.
Cotton is not eco friendly at all.

MacTootBlowsonHisBagpipes Sun 15-May-16 10:19:13

Definitely try fleece liners. The disposable liners are pretty rubbish. Tots bots Easyfits or Stars and Close Pop Ins dry in a few hours so might be worth a try.

PoppetPants Sun 15-May-16 10:24:38

Fleece liners here too, the disposable ones were dreadful, got all bunched up and made things worse. I used metanium in DD when she got nappy rash and that was ok for the nappies.

All in ones are great for drying, we used bumgenius and they came out of the machine almost dry smile

dolkapots Sun 15-May-16 10:30:21

YANBU OP. I was giddy with excitement about using cloth nappies. I had so many different types, colours etc. I was in the nappy shop nearly every day blush But to my horror I absolutely hated them. Mine were heavy wetters and would be soaked through within half an hour of being changed. The smell of the urine was really noticeable too. I was doing so much extra washing as I kept having to do a full change of clothes as they were soaked. I so wanted to make them work, the nappy consultant suggested so many different things, which didn't work either.

I got to the stage where I would walk past the nappy section in the supermarket and feel a stab of rage and jealousy. Cloth bummin' was just a pain in the bum for me.

Mishaps Sun 15-May-16 10:41:17

I hate to utter this heresy but I think disposables are brilliant. There were no such things when mine were born and it was hell - buckets of stinking nappies in soak, troubles getting them dry, sore sore bottoms that made you want to weep, cumbersome when you went out anywhere, piddle leeching into their clothes and needing a total clothes change at every wetting.....when disposables came in when my youngest was about 9 months I was tempted to get down on my knees in thankful prayer!

My 7 GC have never had so much as the tiniest bit of nappy rash or soreness in their disposables - they are comfortable for them and there is no smell. What's not to like?

I know, I know, saving the planet and all that, but the planetary advantages are small, and as long as people are flying round the world gobbling up fuel and polluting the air indiscriminately I will regard the use of disposables and the comfort and convenience as small beer in the scheme of things.

throwinshapes Sun 15-May-16 10:43:11

I used the Bamboozles (bamboo) which were naturally anti bacterial.
Had no nappy rash at all, really.

NatashaRomanoff Sun 15-May-16 10:47:31

YANBU. They're basically shit.

Artandco Sun 15-May-16 10:51:31

Really? We used two part shaped nappies, Wonderoos. Lasted a good 3+ hrs in the day if we needed ( but I usually changed before as who wants to sit in own pee), and lasted 12 hrs overnight.

No soaking or anything. Poo down loo. Nappy in bucket dry. Throw in washing machine at 60 degrees. Done. New nappies aren't supposed to be soaked.

Artandco Sun 15-May-16 10:53:43

You say your just using cloth regulangles and, what is absorbent in them? For example most now would have 4-6 layers of absorbent bamboo or hemp or similar where they actually wee. If your just using cloth, with cloth outer and waterproof do you actually have any absorbant layer?

squeezed Sun 15-May-16 10:55:18

Definitely try the fleece liners. DD would get nappy rash from her urine in disposables much more severely than her tots bots. Also if your dd is uncomfortable being wet it might help with potty training later, it did for us.

Babettescat Sun 15-May-16 10:55:23

We've got an entire chest of cloth nappies of all kinds given up on.

Fact of the matter: nothing beats the convenience and ease of a disposable. I'm sorry, but when tired sleep deprived and struggling and rejoining work - I never regretted the decision to stop it with the bloody cloth nappies and have never looked back.

orangebird69 Sun 15-May-16 10:55:38

I get the financial bit but eco wise, surely all the washing etc negates the reusable bit? And frankly, the thought of a dirty nappy hanging round in a bucket for a day or so is imo disgusting. I do a load of laundry every day whether there's a fill load or not and I still think the idea is wretched. I bloody love pampers.

Babettescat Sun 15-May-16 10:56:29

And if anyone wants to buy 50+ pocket nappies tons of fleece and charcoal inserts, tons of tots bots wanderoos close popins newborn nappies - a job lot well you're welcome to buy them.

I. Is. Done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now