Thrush...

(18 Posts)
FagHagAur Sat 14-May-16 21:55:08

Really embarrassing.

I was recently on antibiotics for about a week, and the day after I came off them I developed thrush - I recognised it is as I had it around six years ago when pregnant.
I'm at work during pharmacy opening hours and the same in regards to doctors surgery hours - so far I haven't found anywhere else that sells the Caneston(?) except pharmacies. I live in a remote place with not a lot of options!

Is there anywhere else I can buy it from? Or anything else I can take? It's making me feel so gross sad

katemiddletonsnudeheels Sat 14-May-16 21:57:23

Don't be embarrassed, it's an occupational hazard of antibiotics!

Do you have an OOH pharmacy near you? Google will be able to help. Don't get a pessary as they are rubbish and make your underwear look like you've been eating chalk - the tablet is much better, and cream for relief of symptoms.

It's nasty but easily solved!

Perbsy Sat 14-May-16 21:57:40

Amazon.

LotsOfShoes Sat 14-May-16 21:58:50

I know I bought Canesten from Tesco once. Large supermarkets should have it, where all the ibuprofen etc is
Thrush is a pain, I really feel for you

Tumtitum Sat 14-May-16 21:58:51

Sainsburys? Boots online and get it delivered?? God don't be embarrassed, I spend half my life having thrush and buying Canesten grinagree re the pessary, I get the cream and fluconazole tablet

FagHagAur Sat 14-May-16 22:03:00

Amazon, of course. Never thought of that. God it's a nightmare, I've been taking probiotics but they haven't really helped. Horrid condition.

mirime Sat 14-May-16 22:10:03

Natural yogurt in the meantime? Also wash twice a day with salt water.

My GP used to advise against using the cream, said to apply vaseline to reduce symptoms - alternatively olive oil is supposed to be good as well.

Used to get thrush every month when I was on the pill so I've tried absolutely everything

Spam88 Sun 15-May-16 00:06:20

I think you can buy the cream just off the shelf? If you want the tablets or internal creams, is there a pharmacy on your way to/from work or near enough to pop to on your lunch break? Or failing that, there's generally at least one pharmacy open until 8/9pm, and saturdays and sundays, it just might be a little out of the way.

BoopTheSnoot Sun 15-May-16 00:08:29

You can buy it from Boots online and have it delivered.

Pinkheart5915 Sun 15-May-16 00:11:07

Order online from even Superdrug/Boots etc if you can't get to a store.

In the meantime natural yoghurt in a tampon/ sanitary pad is very soothing.

Don't use perfumed soaps to wash when bathing/ showering will make thrush worse

RainyMornings Sun 15-May-16 00:35:40

Like others have said Asda, sainsburys etc. If you're getting desperate natural yoghurt on a tampon or a peeled clove of garlic soaked in olive oil as a pessary. Sounds mental but has helped me when I've wanted to cut my bits out at 3am

sepa Sun 15-May-16 00:39:26

Apparently coal tar soap can help? (I read it on here and kept it filed in case I got it during pregnancy) you should be able to buy it at tesco/boots etc

3rd post down www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2539454-The-agony-that-is-Thrush

Littlefluffyclouds81 Sun 15-May-16 00:43:59

I know I keep banging on about it, but coconut oil certainly works for me. I just wang a lump of it up me fanjo a couple of times a day, and it clears pretty much straight away.

FagHagAur Sun 15-May-16 09:02:58

I did try that actually Littlefluffy I must keep up with it! Thanks for your suggestions everyone

coco1810 Sun 15-May-16 09:10:10

Ha ha fanjo love itgrin

Junosmum Sun 15-May-16 09:15:34

Most supermarkets.

But use vinegar instead- works miracles. I haven't needed canestan (which is crap) for years, and I get thrush serveral times per year due to other health issues.

Rooseen Sun 15-May-16 09:25:12

I have suffered in and off for years. Finally saw a new gp who prescribed 1 pessary at night, then 1 following morning. Followed by 1 a month for 6 months and cetirizine for 6 months. My gp had been to a conference and heard the treatment. 1 year no thrush for me!

Rooseen Sun 15-May-16 09:28:37

Sorry just realised it doesn't help you. Natural yogurt was the only thing that helped a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now