Talk

Advanced search

Why would you do this??!!

(19 Posts)
Abbinob Sat 14-May-16 20:46:51

DS' cousins (7 and a new baby ) came down to visit so off we went this morning to the toyshop to get something for the 7 year old (didn't want him feeling left out if we gave a gift to the baby and not him) and DS (ds is 2, and i think all the kids other than him getting a present would be mean too, it's not like it was anyones birthday) We managed to pick DS's one without him seeing.
Shop assistant scanned our stuff then picked uo the present for the 7 year old and said to DS "ooooh i suppose this is for you!" and handed it to him :/
then when we left i had to take it off him and i felt awful.
Why would you do that? I didn;t say anything cause i get that she was trying to be nice.
I'm in a bad mood today anyway but who does that!? i work in a shop and i don't hand stuff to kids and tell them it's theirs when i don't know
aibu to have been annoyed?

Abbinob Sat 14-May-16 20:52:00

I realise i am probably over reacting but poor DS was upset for ages that we took it off him.

BabyMonkeyMummy Sat 14-May-16 20:55:58

People like that in shops annoy me. I had it the other day when I was buying newborn baby clothes and the shop assistant asked when my baby's due, I told her August, and she told me I don't even look pregnant. It didn't massively piss me off but what if my baby wasn't growing properly and it was something I was worried about? I get that they're just trying to be friendly but just scan my item, take my money, smile and leave it at that.

araiba Sat 14-May-16 21:35:53

why didnt you give him his present instead?

kali110 Sat 14-May-16 21:40:53

Baby!from an ex retail i wish i could have just scanned money and that's it.
We would be pulled up and then disciplined if we didn't make conversation with every customer angry

PPie10 Sat 14-May-16 21:43:10

As you said she's probably just trying to be nice. Fgs I feel for retail staff when people like you find an issue with everything. Hardly a crime is it.

Abbinob Sat 14-May-16 21:50:39

He was supposed to be given his present later when the other kids got theirs
I don't find an issue with everything, i work in retail too. That's why i didn't say anything and just smiled. i'm not a dick to retail staff ever. it's a little independent toyshop
But i don't think random people really have the right to give a 2 year old a toy that wasn't even for them.

TheNIghtManagersWife Sat 14-May-16 21:52:58

We would be pulled up and then disciplined if we didn't make conversation with every customer

shock I had no idea you were actually forced to do that! I did find it weird when the women on the tills at New Look Prada were drooling over my new top - I was thinking 'Hmmm, surely you've seen this top before, it's on your shop floor'

Conversation with every customer must be so painful!

Abbinob Sat 14-May-16 21:53:14

e.g if someone came in with a toddler and bought some sweets, unless the toddler handed to me i'd give them to the parents after scanning because for all i know the parent has told them they can choose a sweet to have after dinner, or later if theyre good or something

ICantDecideOnAUsername Sat 14-May-16 21:58:55

A chap in aldi did this one year when I was sneakingly buying ds a 'Planes' jigsaw set for Christmas with the shopping. Thought I'd managed it without him seeing and the guy on the till handed it to him saying something along those lines. Thanks for that!! Luckily he got distracted by something else and I re-hid it.

Abbinob Sat 14-May-16 21:59:16

I was very good at stealth getting his present so he didn't see, was distracting him at the till so he didn't see it there either, i told him we were getting presents for his cousins and then he gets told it's for him and obviously was upset that i took it off him because he's 2 and he doesn't get given toys very often at all, i'm skint as fuck so usually he only gets stuff on birthdays and i wanted it to be a nice little surprise for him later is all.
maybe i'm being a bit PFB but i felt so bad for him when his little face lit up when she gave it to him, what was i meant to do? He couldn't keep it, i don't have the money to get another one for the older kid and the older kid isn't going to want a toddler toy.

nephrofox Sat 14-May-16 22:05:26

Why didn't you just say, "oh no its not we came to buy a present for X didn't we DS?"

I don't think it's a big deal

Abbinob Sat 14-May-16 22:07:09

Because she gave it to him as she was saying it, so the only option i had was to either grab it off him straight away and he would of started crying and she would have felt bad or wait till we were out of the shop

Susandeath Sat 14-May-16 22:22:41

Woman on the till at a supermarket did exactly this with the birthday cake I was buying for my nearly 2 year old dd, which I wanted to be a surprise. I wasn't happy, and told her why. It could have been a cake for anyone, why give it to my toddler daughter who wouldn't understand why I took it back off her!

SingingMyOwnSpecialSong Sat 14-May-16 22:32:14

Cashier in a supermarket recently was most put out when I explained the cheap soft toy I was buying was for our dog not toddler DD. She kept waving its hands at DD and saying sadly 'hello, you like me, don't you.' DD, who has loads of soft toys at home (that the dog knows not to touch), was quite happy looking at the clothes we had got for her and laughed like mad watching the dog rip his new teddy to bits later.

MeLittleDuckie Sat 14-May-16 22:53:22

Don't be too harsh, as you say she was probably just trying to be nice. Perhaps she doesn't have kids and didn't realise the trouble it could create. I'd have done as a pp said and quickly said 'no, it's for your cousin, isn't it'. If all else failed I'd have taken back your DS's toy and exchanged it for the same as his cousin's. However - I work in retail and if I made a mistake like that I'd like you to (nicely) let me know about it so I didn't do it again.

We would be pulled up and then disciplined if we didn't make conversation with every customer

Eek - we definitely don't have to do this! We have to be naturally friendly obviously but not every customer fancies a chat and there's nothing worse than forced conversation!

kali110 Sat 14-May-16 23:14:06

melittle yes. Used to annoy the fuck out of me. Some people don't want to make small talk, i don't blame them!

LetsDoTheYogiBear Sun 15-May-16 00:05:50

Sometimes you can't win. One guy complained to his wife the other week "that I wasn't very chatty and only seemed interested in a sale" and an hour later I had one complain about the complete opposite.

Let it go OP. She was trying to be nice. YABU.

kali110 Sun 15-May-16 09:58:52

lets you will never win grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now