To ask kids screaming outside my front door to be quiet?!

(20 Posts)
teacher54321 Sat 14-May-16 20:31:00

In our lovely street the neighbours are fab and quiet. Down the road from us are some tweenagers who like to meet up and play outside. But they don't play outside their own houses, they play outside ours. And scream. And SCREAM and chase each other and throw stones and make a LOT of noise. They woke Ds up, so I went outside and asked them nicely to keep it down a bit. One of them (the worst offender) shouted 'BUT I'VE GOT ADHD I CAN'T BE QUIET' and then ran off cackling. I said, but it doesn't mean that you have to shout outside my front door. The others all apologised and they've moved on.

It just makes me so cross that their parents let them behave like this, they're not screaming outside their own house, are they?!

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 14-May-16 20:33:00

Parents probably don't know they're doing it if they're not outside their front door.

chibsortig Sat 14-May-16 20:55:39

No YANBU I tell kids to move in the summer when they are screaming/bouncing a ball outside mine after my children in bed. I tell them 'you wake em you take em' mostly they apologise and move on.

Buzzardbird Sat 14-May-16 20:58:02

To be fair, their parents aren't letting them behave like this, they are unaware.
They have moved on, drama over.

teacher54321 Sat 14-May-16 21:02:39

I suppose I'm worried that they'll do it more now that I've shouted at them...!

teacher54321 Sat 14-May-16 21:03:03

Ds said 'mummy they're being naughty, go and tell them off!'

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sat 14-May-16 21:04:40

Why shout?

You could've just asked hmm

araiba Sat 14-May-16 21:06:24

so you asked them to leave and they did?

i like a happy ending to a story

WorraLiberty Sat 14-May-16 21:13:34

I would have told them to stop throwing stones.

But I've never got this 'play outside your own house' mentality.

So if you have a couple of kids move in next door to you, you have to put up with them playing outside their own house for years and years?

Are you sure you wouldn't get fed up at some point and ask them to move down the road a bit, to give you a break?

teacher54321 Sat 14-May-16 21:14:41

I didn't shout at them, that was the wrong choice of words. I asked them to keep it quiet as Ds was asleep and then the gobby one shouted back at me that he couldn't be quiet. I said that he didn't need to shout and said goodnight and went inside. They then went round the back and carried on screaming for a bit and then it all went quiet.

WorraLiberty Sat 14-May-16 21:18:25

To be fair, the weather is nice, it's the middle of May and the evenings are nice and light.

I would expect noise from children playing outside at 8.30pm and as we're heading towards Summer, I'm sure you'll hear a lot more of it.

I would definitely take issue with the stone throwing though.

MummyBex1985 Sat 14-May-16 21:18:37

YANBU. DH regularly asks loud children to congregate back at their own houses.

I've only told them to move when they were kicking a ball at/around my brand new ridiculously expensive car.

teacher54321 Sat 14-May-16 21:23:23

worra children playing is absolutely fine and doesn't bother me at all. This was stone throwing next to my car, throwing bottles of water at each other and full on screeching at the top of their voices, outside ds's bedroom window at 8.15pm. Children playing on bikes or playing catch outside and chatting, no problem. Zombie apocalypse noises? Not so much!

WorraLiberty Sat 14-May-16 21:26:27

Yeah I get that it's annoying. I've had it myself over the years during Summer.

But I guess the reason they didn't play outside their own homes, is because the next door neighbours would have asked them to move on.

Truffles04 Sat 14-May-16 21:28:01

I reached breaking point one summer when the kids were playing right outside where my bedroom is with an airhorn while I was in bed trying to get some sleep for nightshift.

General noise etc I make allowances for as kids will be kids but whatever numpty thought it was a good idea to give a group of 5 year olds an airhorn needs their sanity checked.

teacher54321 Sat 14-May-16 21:29:23

There is a MASSIVE park about 200 yards away where they could scream to their hearts content and not disturb anyone...
i might point that out to them in future...!

teacher54321 Sat 14-May-16 21:30:44

But also if my kids were playing so loudly that it was annoying the neighbours, I wouldn't ask them to move down the road. I'd tell them to stop being so noisy and annoying. It's not some sort of rota to have to be disturbed!

WorraLiberty Sat 14-May-16 21:41:43

It's normally the next door neighbours who ask the kids playing outside their own homes, to move down the road.

Otherwise they'd have to put up with those kids playing outside their home for years and years until they grew up.

teacher54321 Sat 14-May-16 21:47:44

Sorry wasn't clear. What I mean is that if my kids were playing so loudly outside my house that they were disturbing the neighbours then surely I would be able to hear them as well and would put a stop to it.

kali110 Sat 14-May-16 21:48:02

Yanbu at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now