Talk

Advanced search

To Still be Seething About This?

(49 Posts)
Elle80 Sat 14-May-16 20:07:35

We have just come back from a holiday in Devon and took my elderly parents with us. My mum is disabled (she has problems walking because of a broken hip that didn't heal properly and back pain associated with having had Polio as a child). On Friday we went for a day out in Torquey. I parked the car in a disabled bay and checked on the parking metre for parking fees. I know that often in Cornwall and Devon you still have to pay for parking even with a blue badge so I was fully prepared to pay. I was pleasantly surprised to see that parking for blue badges was free and so put the badge in the window and off we went. A short time later my dad went to put something in a bin, close to where we had parked and saw that I had been given a parking fine. I found the Traffic Warden and asked him why and he told me that it was because I was in a four hour only parking space and I had not properly displayed the time on my clock next to the blue badge. I told him I couldn't see any such sign about four hour parking, and he told me that if I disagreed then I'd have to appeal, and that he would not cancel the fine there and then. I paid the fine because I knew that a) it would be halved if I paid within the two weeks and b) because there is no way I could travel from London to contest it at Torbay Council.

I'm prepared for a flaming, but I'm still going to ask, AIBU to be totally outraged by the petty actions of this Traffic Warden?

RedHelenB Sat 14-May-16 20:09:10

YABU if he pointed out to you where the sign was.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 14-May-16 20:15:11

You wouldn't have to travel from London to contest it confused

You just take photos of the sign or lack of one and send that in and appeal.

You could probably still appeal it even though you've paid. Better doing that then fuming about someone doing their job.

I'd also like to know if there was a sign!

Elle80 Sat 14-May-16 20:15:28

He didn't point it out and I couldn't see a sign by the parking meter

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 14-May-16 20:16:01

Then appeal it.

wasonthelist Sat 14-May-16 20:18:38

YABU to be seething - appeal it, or just move on.

RiverTam Sat 14-May-16 20:21:45

You refuse to pay it, take photos and contest it and will never hear from them again as clearly there's no signage to back the TW up.

MaliaGrace Sat 14-May-16 20:22:30

YABU - I don't quite understand why his actions are petty? If there is a sign stating that you were parked in a 4 hour max stay bay then he is merely doing his job. He cannot cancel a ticket once it's been issued, you have to appeal formally.

If it was a Council car park then you didn't need to make payment immediately to settle it.

The ticket would've told you (and the Council website) that you could either make payment or submit a written challenge. Providing you do the latter within 14 days, you would still have been given another 14 days from the date of their response to make payment at the discounted rate. So you don't lose out.

Finally, you wouldn't need to travel back there to contest it, not sure why you would think that. Everything is done in writing. If it had progressed to the point where you chose to have the matter heard before an independent Adjudicator then you have a choice of either having the hearing dealt with in your absence, over the phone or, you could attend in person if convenient.

www.trafficpenaltytribunal.gov.uk/accessibility-and-the-tribunal/

monkeysox Sat 14-May-16 20:23:09

A relative of mine has just successfully contested a similar ticket. Was not clear a time needed to be displayed. Contest retrospectively

Elle80 Sat 14-May-16 20:27:18

Thank you Monkey that is really helpful to know

MaliaGrace Sat 14-May-16 20:28:30

monkeysox you cannot contest a Council issued penalty once it has been paid in full within 14 days. If payment is received it's deemed that the payee is accepting liability for the charge.

ImNotDancing Sat 14-May-16 20:33:49

which car park in torquay, I can go and check on monday if its clear if you want?

arethereanyleftatall Sat 14-May-16 20:34:01

Eh? If you spoke to the tw when you were there, didn't you converse about the 4 hour signage? Either there were 4 hour signs and thus yabu, or there or not and yanbu. How can we people who weren't there possibly know?

ImNotDancing Sat 14-May-16 20:34:34

also torbay council are mega dicks as are their wardens, theyre notoriously picky

Elle80 Sat 14-May-16 20:49:41

ImNotDancing thank you for your offer, It was parking by the seafront, near a restaurant called the Pier (something or other) and the theatre. I've paid now though so am guessing I have thrown away my right to contest.

arethereanyleft when I spoke to the TW they were over the other side of the road. Not near the original parking metre. He did not want to speak to me at all and explain anything. He just told me to appeal it if I disagreed with him and walked up.

Elle80 Sat 14-May-16 20:50:02

Off not up

MaliaGrace Sat 14-May-16 20:50:12

I'm assuming the part of the tale that you've missed out was where you went back to the car/parking space and found the time plate otherwise. why on earth would you make payment?

There's so much info available on the penalty itself, on the Council website and on numerous on-line penalty appeal type websites that your actions regarding making payment/appealing further in person make no sense.

Elle80 Sat 14-May-16 20:57:01

MaliaGrace I am not a liar so please don't make me out to be one. I am guessing from your responses that you are either a traffic warden or work for the council.

I found no such sign, and if I did I would put my hands up and certainly not be posting on MN. I have had two previous parking tickets in London for stupid mistakes on my part (paid for ticket blew off dash) both times I put my hands up and paid - albeit a bit annoyed with myself. I just thought Torbay Council's attitude stunk and was genuinely asking IIWBU by being a bit pissed off about it

mnaab Sat 14-May-16 20:59:01

If the sign didn'the specify the time limit then I would have taken photos and appealed. Would have at least been worth making a phone call to the council. I have had a parking fine cancelled just by calling up and explaining the situation (was in Cornwall though)

Choughed Sat 14-May-16 21:00:37

I just thought Torbay Council's attitude stunk

They don't have an attitude. You asked the TW why you had been issued a parking ticket, they told you why. No attitude there.

If there is anything you should be pissed off with it's the lack of signage. How carefully did you check the disabled parking rules?

mnaab Sat 14-May-16 21:03:35

Just seen your last post OP. The ticked I had cancelled was one that blew upside down as I closed my car door. Had been a really windy day and they'd had quite a few calls about the same thing so they asked me to e-mail a photo of the valid ticket then cancelled the fine. Always worth a go, they may so no but at least you'be tried

MaliaGrace Sat 14-May-16 21:06:26

No im neither a Civil enforcement officer or Council employee. My post were based on the fact that you're still 'seething' about an event that you had control over.

The obvious reaction for many people at the time would've been to return to the car and look for the time plate - if there wasn't one then you appeal, if there was one and you simply missed it then to make payment.

EssexMummy1234 Sat 14-May-16 21:10:37

Sadly the parking attendants have targets to reach. I once received a ticket whilst walking the two minutes back from the pay and display machine to the car, the attendant told me he'd cancelled it but it came through in the post anyway - ggrrrr

RobinHumphries Sat 14-May-16 21:18:53

sounds like the traffic warden was wrong

MaliaGrace Sat 14-May-16 21:24:30

Why was the CEO wrong based on that link?
The info given is v general and doesn't make reference to the marked disabled bays and/or time restrictions. The disabled parking permits would be issued to those people who had a Blue badge issued by Torbay council itself.

'Spaces for disabled drivers are available in most Torbay Council run car parks. Blue badge holders do not currently receive free parking in Car Parks. Torbay Council offers a disabled parking permit (charges apply) to blue badge holders who are eligible. Please visit our website at www.torbay.gov.uk for further details or contact Parking Services team on 01803 207695 for further details'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now