To wonder why people would embarass themselves on a tv show like catfish?

(17 Posts)
maxmaxdress Sat 14-May-16 19:48:45

Right so people make up fake profiles to be someone they aren't for whatever reason.

Why on earth would you then go on a TV show, watched by millions and likely people you know, and admit to doing it? confused Because surely it wouldn't be legal to actually hunt someone down and make them appear on the show?

daisydukes34 Sat 14-May-16 19:50:08

I wonder the same thing about those who go on Jeremy Kyle

maxmaxdress Sat 14-May-16 19:52:13

Exactly. I don't get it confused. If I went on Jezza Kyle i'd wouldn't be able to look anybody in the eye again!

CrazyDuchess Sat 14-May-16 19:52:38

They probably get paid quite a bit to confess on screen

ApproachingATunnel Sat 14-May-16 19:57:07

Nevermind J Kyle...can someone explainto me why people agree to be on Sex Box?...

ijustwannadance Sat 14-May-16 20:00:14

It annoys me on catfish because all they had to do was type a couple of things into google to find that the hot man they are in love with is an alcoholic 55 year old mother of 10.

CrazyDuchess Sat 14-May-16 20:10:25

I am not gonna like I have used catfish techniques to find someone has stored another mans picture for POF - I was able to challenge them and tell the other man that his picture was stolen!

PurpleRainDiamondsandPearls Sun 15-May-16 00:54:48

YANBU but then we wouldn't have the great TV programme that is Catfish. I love Neve!

BieneBiene Sun 15-May-16 01:15:06

I don't know. If I had been cat fishing someone I would rather just ghost than admit it on there.

I like to think maybe they have actually developed feelings or at least feel a little bad for what they have done to the other person and the show gives them a 'safe place' to explain why to the person in the hopes a genuine relationship can develop. might be drunk

nancy75 Sun 15-May-16 01:19:05

15 minutes of fame, for some people being on tv is the dream, even if it makes them look like a total arse

exWifebeginsat40 Sun 15-May-16 01:26:18

I love Nev and Max's mad internet skills. i bet nobody has thought of reverse image searching or JUST FUCKING SEARCHING ON FACEBOOK before.

and Max is creepy.

PPie10 Sun 15-May-16 07:20:57

Yanbu, I can't understand how stupid some people are to be in a 10year relationship with someone and not think why they haven't met the person. How do you allow 10 years of your life to go on that way. Also the person lying about who they are, why would you let the world know how utterly nuts you are confused. Who would want to willingly be with them afterwards.

Birdsgottafly Sun 15-May-16 07:47:22

The story on Catfish that 'touched' me, was of the young Woman, who'd set up the fake profile to keep the other Woman away from her DP. She went through an early birth and death of their child. They lived in an extended family, with the Mothers going to Jail, true poverty etc.

Some of the Transgender/Gay stories from less accepting States are quite sad, also.

You can see that life for some of them, is very different than the UK.

A lot seem to have a valid reason for telling a fib, at the start, then it rollercoasting. Many seem relieved for it to end.

I mainly watch Reality TV, both from the US and UK (CF, Say Yes to the Dress, Hoarders, Hardcore Pawn, Come Dine with me, Coachtrip) so don't try to dissuade anyone from appearing on these shows.

sparepantsandtoothbrush Sun 15-May-16 07:53:02

15 minutes of fame, for some people being on tv is the dream, even if it makes them look like a total arse

Have you seen the one with the woman who was Catfishing themselves? They admitted they just wanted to be on TV hmm

BeautyGoesToBenidorm Sun 15-May-16 07:55:27

Massively, massively scripted, and is now going out of its way to shock. The last one, with the fake psychic, was horrible.

I like Max. He doesn't seem to be a complete fucking naive moron like Nev.

DoYouLikeBirds Sun 15-May-16 07:56:36

I used to enjoy Catfish, but typically of US reality shows it is all scripted and set up. From research I found out that it is usually the catfish who contacts the programme makers, but of course even if it is the victim, researchers make all the contact beforehand and get signed agreements for both parties to participate in filming. In many cases both parties have met in real life before the show.

Max and Nev's detective work is just for show - they don't actually find out anything themselves!

bumpingalong9386 Sun 15-May-16 07:59:28

So that they can meet Max & Neve, get their 15 mins of fame on MTV?

I'm not sure how people get sucked into the whole Catfish thing IRL, Surely enough people have seen the show to know that if someone isn't meeting you / skyping etc... Then they have something to hide?!?

Still, makes for great TV and I'm addicted to watching!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now