Talk

Advanced search

To wish adults would stop drinking so much coffee.

(122 Posts)
FutureGadgetsLab Sat 14-May-16 16:16:50

The smell wafting along the room assaulting my nostrils is sickening. Especially coffee breath, which other people can smell even if you can't. WHY AND HOW DO PEOPLE LIKE THIS? I'm getting sick to the back teeth of having to consciously suppress gagging every day. Even just walking down the street, I can smell it. It reeks.

And then to add insult to the injury every cafe sells 500 different types of coffee, 300 teas and only 2 cold drink options. angry So I can't even enjoy my plastic cup of tap water in peace without the smell of complex coffees mixing!

Am I the only adult that hates this stuff?

(Lighthearted sort of. I've had a bad day...)

Roomba Sat 14-May-16 16:19:16

You wouldn't like working in the office where I used to work then. It was next door but one to a coffee shop, who roasted all their own beans. Twice a day they would emit a huge cloud of coffee bean smoke which wafted down the road and seeped in everywhere, even with all the windows shut. I love coffee, but the smell was so strong it was absolutely sickening...

TheCrumpettyTree Sat 14-May-16 16:20:23

I love the smell of coffee, but hate the taste of it. Coffee breath is disgusting though, yanbu about that.

I'm a tea drinker and despair at a bad cuppa.

BigPantyGirl Sat 14-May-16 16:21:14

I felt this way when I was pregnant, the smell of coffee literally made me puke!

potatoscowls Sat 14-May-16 16:21:44

agreed but few others will, methinks...

Passthecake30 Sat 14-May-16 16:22:28

I don't drink tea or coffee, I have an occasional hot cup of water and maybe a monthly hot chocolate...I get the rage that people can't do anything without a cuppa first...stupid waste of time!

FutureGadgetsLab Sat 14-May-16 16:23:13

I felt this way when I was pregnant, the smell of coffee literally made me puke!

I wasn't as bad before pregnancy although I still disliked it but after pregnancy it's become an extreme burning hatred!

FutureGadgetsLab Sat 14-May-16 16:25:42

I get the rage that people can't do anything without a cuppa first...stupid waste of time!

This too. I don't know why everyone has to stop for a coffee.

HostaFireandIce Sat 14-May-16 16:27:04

YANBU for not liking coffee - it tastes of soil - but YABU for believing that the smell of it is stalking you.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sat 14-May-16 16:27:21

Hate the taste but I love the smell.

UpsiLondoes Sat 14-May-16 16:29:01

Because we are addicted to caffeine, like the taste and hate tea or fizzy drinks.

Could say the same about people who make a cup of tea at least once every couple of hours, even on a hot and humid summer day.

CrushedNinjas Sat 14-May-16 16:29:23

YABU. Coffee is better than booze any day.

FutureGadgetsLab Sat 14-May-16 16:30:19

Could say the same about people who make a cup of tea at least once every couple of hours, even on a hot and humid summer day.

I agree. Tea isn't much better. It doesn't stink as much though.

The obsession with hot drinks has got to stop.

weebarra Sat 14-May-16 16:31:22

You're not alone. I drink neither coffee nor tea and people do seem to think it's really odd.
When I was pregnant and later going through chemo, coffee was one of the smells which really nauseated me.

sparechange Sat 14-May-16 16:32:26

You would hate to live in my neck of the woods then!
We are near (and often downwind) of the Cafe Nero roasting place, which gives the whole area the smell of coffee and toast

pointythings Sat 14-May-16 16:33:20

I love coffee, but I can't stand to be in the smell of it all day. I have one cup of really good filter coffee in the morning and that is it - water or herbal teas the rest of the day.

Hot drinks are very lovely when you work in an office where the heating is temperamental...

TheWordOfBagheera Sat 14-May-16 16:36:40

Milky tea breath is worse than coffee breath!

BorisJohnsonsHair Sat 14-May-16 16:47:14

I always find it odd and a bit child-like when adults don't drink tea or coffee. And yes, YABVU because coffee is the best drink on the planet (after red wine, real ale and gin obviously) grin

ijustwannadance Sat 14-May-16 16:50:52

I find the smell in starbucks etc too strong so I don't go in them. I don't drink coffee though.

FutureGadgetsLab Sat 14-May-16 16:52:54

I always find it odd and a bit child-like when adults don't drink tea or coffee

Why? confused

Bue Sat 14-May-16 16:54:03

Boris I'm the same. I always say I'm suspicious of adults who don't drink hot drinks. Of course I'm not really suspicious of them, but it is downright odd to not drink either coffee or tea (even herbal would be fine) esp when we live in a climate like this one.

Yes some people are a bit OTT with the hot drinks, but making a pot of tea or stopping for a coffee is a comforting social ritual isn't it? I think it's one of the small pleasures in life that bring joy.

But YANBU about the coffee breath. Yuck!

RebeccaCloud9 Sat 14-May-16 16:54:30

Ah, I LOVE tea and coffee, the taste, the smell, the ritual, the tradition, the (mostly!) shared enjoyment of down-time to have a cuppa.

But, I feel for you if you don't like it. I have always hated cigarette smoke and in the same way I suppose, hated that it permeated every building (now it's just the outside spaces we must liberate!) so if you feel the same about coffee it must be horrid.

I also don't drink alcohol (just don't like it, it makes me sick) but feel I always have to justify this when I choose not to drink. I bet it is the same when you are offered a hot drink!

HamAlive Sat 14-May-16 16:55:07

I don't see why it has to stop just because you don't like it. I'm not fussed on it but it doesn't bother me that other people like it.

ijustwannadance Sat 14-May-16 16:55:11

Why is it odd and child-like Boris?
I don't drink tea or coffee or alcohol.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 14-May-16 16:56:07

Love proper coffee. Since having ds2 cannot drink or smell tea, which is annoying because I prefer it. A lad at work once said to me "I hate coffee, it smells like teacher's breath" , which says a lot about his school experience!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now