Apprenticeships and divorce

(12 Posts)
gardenangels Sat 14-May-16 13:10:25

16 year old son has decided to do a two year apprenticeship instead of A levels as he hated school. I am now worried as it means I lose my CB and CTC but as he is being paid a decent amount does it mean my husband can force the sale of the marital home early? I have another son with one year left of A levels but live in a 4 bedroom house.

NeedsAsockamnesty Sat 14-May-16 13:11:54

If not selling it is linked to the educational status of your children then yes.

gardenangels Sat 14-May-16 13:15:12

Divorce not started but will court assume he should move out and rent his own room once 18? He is nearly 17...

meditrina Sat 14-May-16 13:31:21

Yes, there are different assumptions made once your DC are over 18, and when they are no longer in full time education.

Yes, it sounds likely that the house will need to be sold. Can you find a way to afford to buy STBX out of his share?

But you'll need to get proper legal advice that covers for full circumstances (I'm assuming that you are not yet divorced)

gardenangels Sat 14-May-16 13:43:42

Can't afford to buy him out or take over the mortgage. I assume house can't be sold until other son finishes his A levels next year? Or will I be forced to sell house and buy a property to house just A level son? Divorce not started yet...

Babyroobs Sat 14-May-16 14:50:44

I imagine you would have to release equity / sell the house when both children have finished full time education, so when your eldest finishes A'levels. I imagine it will depend what is agreed through your soliciter or a mediater.

harshbuttrue1980 Sat 14-May-16 17:24:13

I imagine you'll have to sell. Hopefully your share will give you enough for a big deposit on a smaller place - you won't need 4 bedrooms, so you should be able to afford something for you and your son who is still studying.

RealityCheque Sat 14-May-16 17:37:34

If a deferred sale is agreed, it will be when the youngest leaves education. Not the eldest.

gardenangels Sat 14-May-16 23:28:58

Can't afford even a two bedroom on 50/50 as can't get much of a mortgage due to age and salary. Husband lived with OW in her house for past 18 months. Could move with 60/40 split...

gardenangels Sat 14-May-16 23:36:15

Reality my youngest son will be doing an apprenticeship so looks like that is not counted as education so will trigger house sale early

dillydotty Sun 15-May-16 02:13:57

If you are in a four bedroom perhaps you could downsize into a three?

gardenangels Sun 15-May-16 09:47:55

It is getting the mortgage and the moving costs which rule out a 3 bedroomed house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now