Talk

Advanced search

Are DD's stretch marks bad?

(86 Posts)
DDNeedsReassurance Fri 13-May-16 21:17:24

DD is 14. She isn't big or anything. However, she has been hit hard with stretch marks. Hates wearing her PE shorts/school swimming, etc. I have said they're not even bad, but I suppose in a 14 year old's eyes it's the worst think in the world. She says that no one has them... hmm do any of your DD's have them? I don't really know what to say to her. I think they look fine.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Fri 13-May-16 21:20:14

Where is that on her body?

I didn't as a teen but I know several young men that did, they were horizontal rather than vertical on their backs due to growth spurts.

I'm sorry it must be upsetting for her. I think just looking after her skin will help.

Mari50 Fri 13-May-16 21:20:31

Bless. I remember getting stretch marks on my thighs at similar age and being horrified. Lots of reassurance that they do fade to nothing and try some bio oil- not sure how good it is at helping them fade but might help with future marks?

RunnerOnTheRun Fri 13-May-16 21:21:04

This is completely normal, but it will never be perceived as normal because people hide them. Nothing you can say or do but show her it isn't a reflection of her, support her and acknowledge her feelings about them until the worry passes. Bless her, it must be hard, but it is so normal at this age of rapid growth.

DDNeedsReassurance Fri 13-May-16 21:21:51

That's on the back of her legs.

She's mortified. Hates doing gymnastics competition as she has to wear her leotard... Really knocking her confidence.

VimFuego101 Fri 13-May-16 21:22:05

They will fade to silver eventually. Bio oil or good moisturiser will help.

Crispbutty Fri 13-May-16 21:23:01

I got them on my arms at that age as I stopped swimming and lost the muscle tone in my arms. They disappeared after a few months though.

oldjacksscrote Fri 13-May-16 21:23:08

I had them really bad on my thighs and chest when I was about 11 and by the time I was 15 I had really bad cellulite so the stretch marks were no longer an issue, I've always been petite. Some of us are just unlucky but they will fade and it is normal.

PrincessHairyMclary Fri 13-May-16 21:23:19

I have lots on my thighs due to growth spurts during puberty, I hated them as they were very red and unsightly don't even notice them now.

LocalEditorEssex Fri 13-May-16 21:24:07

My ds1 had these on his back. They appeared from nowhere. He was shooting upwards but not outwards.
They have faded now.

Wombat87 Fri 13-May-16 21:24:09

I had them. I used baby oil every day on them. They didn't take long to fade!

x2boys Fri 13-May-16 21:24:43

they will fade to a silvery colour i had stretch marks as a teenager when my hips and bust ect grew i have them on my tummy now after i had ds1 and ds2 .

Crispbutty Fri 13-May-16 21:24:45

If she is able to do gym competitions then she is definitely a lot fitter than many of her peers I expect so hopefully that will help her regain her confidence. She is growing and honestly nobody will really notice them, and they will fade away too.

Grilledaubergines Fri 13-May-16 21:26:21

They'll fade to nothing pretty much - the lines themselves look pretty thin.

Agree with others - bio oil/vitamin e oil. Maybe some vitamins for skin hair and nails. I can't remember the name but there's a brand name.

IDontBelieveAnything Fri 13-May-16 21:27:59

I had them on my thighs at that age and I wasn't the least bit fat. Some people are just susceptible to them. I really don't think creams help.

fizzingmum Fri 13-May-16 21:30:43

I had them on my calves at this age and remember being mortified. Trying everything to cover them up. I thought it was the end of the world and I would never wear shorts again. But they faded over time and I wear shorts all the time now. It's hard at that age but I'm sure no one else will notice them or say anything.

bilule Fri 13-May-16 21:31:30

Poor thing. She could wear gym leggings and you can buy really cool kneeskin swimming costumes that would cover them when she goes swimming
They will definitely fade though

anotherdayanothersquabble Fri 13-May-16 21:33:32

I had them too.. My skin is slow to heal and I still have some from the teenage years on my hips.

I would use oils, rosehip, hypericum and lavender directly on the skin plus in the bath with Epsom salts and also ensure she is getting enough uncooked oils in her diet, coconut, avocado, oily fish. It will really show in her skin very quickly.

TormundGiantsbabe Fri 13-May-16 21:35:43

I had them on my thighs, bum, knees, hips and boobs as a teenager. I wasn't fat I just went from skinny kid to normal shaped woman. They have all faded now... and weirdly I didn't get any during pregnancy.

carolinemoon Fri 13-May-16 21:35:53

I grew very fast and had awful stretch marks all up my thighs. They were so red my brother thought I had been hurt by someone (guess they looked like scratch marks). I had no idea what they were - no idea why my mum didn't though! I feel your DD's pain, PE wearing gym knickers was awful for an already self conscious girl.

They do fade, but mine didn't disappear- they are like silvery lines or very faint scars.

There's nothing that can be done, they're caused by changes deep down in the skin so no amount of oil can stop them forming.

Weirdly I didn't get a single stretch mark in 2 pregnancies!

ApproachingATunnel Fri 13-May-16 21:36:50

I also got them on my inner thighs around 12-13. Of course i was upset. They're still there but barely visible. I agree you could get her some bio oil but there isnt much else you can do (perhaps i'm wrong?)

Athrawes Fri 13-May-16 21:39:31

They are not bad, are normal and are mortifying for a young girl. She could try rosehip oil, regularly, daily, slathered on. It might not help but would show her you care and understand. Try and find a slim and trendy adult friend who has stretch marks so she can see it is not the end of her life.

ApproachingATunnel Fri 13-May-16 21:41:57

And yes, same as carolinemoon i didnt get any during 2 pregnancies either!

MrsBB1982 Fri 13-May-16 21:46:00

Your poor DD. I remember the same happening to me as a teenager. I had them across my thighs and boobs. My boobs appeared out of nowhere and I was a D cup by the time I was 13. It doesn't mean she's fat - I was slim and had them. I guess some people develop their curves faster than their skin can keep up.

Oddly - not a single stretch mark in either pregnancy.

I guess this doesn't help her feel better about them now. They do fade. Depends on how you think your DD will feel about reading the comments on here but perhaps you could show her some of this thread so she knows others have been through it?

sunlover73 Fri 13-May-16 21:47:05

I hate the blemishes and marks on my legs, and I use a spray make up called Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs (about £10 in Boots for a can) it goes someway to smoothing out the imperfections! Not for everyday use maybe, but it might make her feel better on gym days xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now