Talk

Advanced search

To think that jam jars don't make good glasses?

(32 Posts)
Freshsteps Fri 13-May-16 18:07:32

What's it all about? I keep seeing them and have even been compelled to try to drink from one. The threaded top is surely incompatible with normal human lips.

readingrainbow Fri 13-May-16 18:09:07

Yanbu. They make you dribble down your chin. Uncomfortable to use as well. Silly trend.

Pedestriana Fri 13-May-16 18:09:15

I was thinking glasses = spectacles.
Neither seems a comfortable option IMO.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Fri 13-May-16 18:10:01

Sorry, but I love jam jars for drinks in the garden, so much less likely to break if knocked over. Bonne Maman are the best; can't understand buying special jars with handles, ffs though...

Theydontknowweknowtheyknow Fri 13-May-16 18:11:34

YABU. The threaded top is reassuring and makes a nice curve for your lips.

Plus it makes you feel like you're camping and being resourceful grin

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 13-May-16 18:13:29

I've spotted these in Sharon's bar on Eastenders. She must be saving a few quid in drinking glasses.

Pestriana a bit like beer goggles, but jam jar goggles? grin It crossed my mind that the OP had taken leave of her senses and was using some empty jars as substitute specs. wink

EssentialHummus Fri 13-May-16 18:15:33

I like them but use a straw to avoid dribbling <classy>

MrsSkeletor Fri 13-May-16 18:19:43

I like them

SaturdaySurprise Fri 13-May-16 18:45:22

Have you seen wewantplates.com/ ? There's a lot worse out there.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 13-May-16 18:49:34

I thought Lazy bastard sardines was good until I spotted the sausage tree grin

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 13-May-16 18:50:31

My DH loves these. He's had a cupboardful since we met. Wanker.

TaraCarter Fri 13-May-16 18:54:32

YANBU. That's what empty nutella jars are for.

DevonGirl70 Fri 13-May-16 18:59:36

Yuk! I saw them on the Tesco website, THREE quid for one complete with straw. Daft, they sell jam for 29p! wink

TornUpPaper Fri 13-May-16 19:07:03

It's wanky.

A restaurant I was in had them and when our drinks arrived I asked for a proper glass please. the waitress gave me an 'I understand' look and returned the drinks in glasses. I thanked her.

DailyMaui Fri 13-May-16 19:10:06

I am a huge fan of the we want plates movement, ever since I was served macaroni cheese on a bloody slate. I want my drinks in a proper glass thanks. Jam jars are hipster wankery.

Caffeinator Fri 13-May-16 19:20:30

Yanbu. I can't bear them. I also thought of We Want Plates.

ChipsandGuac Fri 13-May-16 19:22:44

I thought you meant eye glasses too. The image has quite made me laugh! grin

LordoftheTits Fri 13-May-16 20:36:26

Totally thought you meant eye glasses, like when strong lenses are described as 'jam jar specs' grin

fakenamefornow Fri 13-May-16 20:41:18

Oh, I'm so ahead of the pack! I used to use jamjars as glasses 25 years ago when I was too poor to afford glasses

QuimWilde Fri 13-May-16 20:49:34

Load of gimmicky hipster nonsense.

There's a cocktail place near me that serves all its drinks in jam jars and they're all almost a tenner each. It's always packed with bearded top-knotted twats in slip-on shoes. Grown men drinking out of tiny jam jars, I ask you. One day they'll look back and realise how ridiculous they looked grin

lazyjournalistsbogoff Fri 13-May-16 20:56:59

Ha! I used to do this at uni as we were too skint to buy more real glasses, my flat mates all laughed at me but now I'm smug that I was ahead of the trend grin

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 13-May-16 22:11:36

It's always packed with bearded top-knotted twats in slip-on shoes. I live on the West Coast of Canada. The whole place is filled with these specimens.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 13-May-16 22:15:08

i bought a pile of the lidded, handled mason jar glasses for using in the garden last year.

Visions of lovely sangria and pimms in the summer....I do not think we had a single sunny day so they all stayed in the damned cupboard.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 13-May-16 22:15:31

oh and they were pennies, in Home Bargains

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 13-May-16 22:19:26

The lid is useful I suppose. There's nothing worse than a wasp floating in your Pimms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now