Talk

Advanced search

How to keep feeling beautiful when you have a baby?

(15 Posts)
kay2016 Fri 13-May-16 12:17:01

Hello ladies,

I am kind of having a hard time since I had my newborn. I always loved to feel good about myself but lately I have no times for nails, bad sleep, my hair is a mess hahaha I think my husband never seen me so ugly ( he doesn't care tho but I do!)

I never been so happy and complete as well but do you guys have any tips about how to keep your self confident on the first months?

PastaPrincess Fri 13-May-16 12:29:52

I got a few posh shower bits which made me feel pampered, and tried find half an hour a week to use a peel off face mask and pluck my eyebrows (which didn't always happen, often I chose to spend that time catching up on sleep.) Could you find time to get a shellac? I know having my nails done always helps me feel more "put together", and it would last a few weeks.

Try to lower your expectations, if you can, for the time being. It will become easier to make time for yourself as baby gets older. flowers

NoSpamPam Fri 13-May-16 12:34:13

Good clothes that fit for ages I kept thinking I'm going to lose weight so better wait. I didn't. After years I said I'm going to buy a new wardrobe that fits. I felt great and the weight started coming off and everything something is big I eBay it as I don't need a just in case big fat clothes because I won't get fat again.

NoSpamPam Fri 13-May-16 12:35:11

Get a hair cut get new clothes get a spa treatment good multi vitamin and as much sleep as u can grab. If u can hire cleaners

lljkk Fri 13-May-16 12:39:05

Maybe it's unhealthy to use your looks to prop up your self-esteem.

EvansAndThePrince Fri 13-May-16 12:43:51

I agree with lljkk, have a look at your baby and realise that your beautiful body MADE that!

Ifiwasabadger Fri 13-May-16 12:49:52

When DD was really small I had salon girls come to the house to do my nails, also a mobile hairdresser. Made me feel human again!

superwormissuperstrong Fri 13-May-16 12:56:41

I also find I feel emotionally better if I can have a decent shower, shave my armpits and legs, good hair wash and condition, keep nails trimmed and short, and the ability to moisturise after.
I find that I can leave the makeup, nail varnish and styled hair for when baby is older as long as I've managed the previous list.
But how? I usually napped when baby napped or did jobs but every few days I would let something slide so I can have my 10/15 min shower rather than the usual 2 minute one. Certain friends or family I was comfortable with when they visited i would happily let them snuggle baby while I disappeared for shower and only then sit and chat with them...
It's definitely worth finding the time - mentally it made me feel stronger, more 'me' and able to cope with a demanding baby. The key is that it was for 'me', not my other half or society...

GiveMyHeadPeaceffs Fri 13-May-16 12:56:47

I'm pretty low maintenance but a good hair cut really helped me. Quick and easy to style and I feel a bit more together. I wear no makeup unless it's an occasion but I take care of my skin and hands. I find I do bits and pieces when my ds is down for the night and I'm watching a bit of tv.

My self esteem certainly isn't dependent on my appearance but I've never liked looking unkempt or untidy. Good clothes that wear and wash well and comfy but not ugly shoes all make me feel like life didn't stop when I'd a baby smile

wigglesrock Fri 13-May-16 13:11:58

Having my haircut always made me feel good about myself - that would be the one I'd try and squeeze in. I liked having my hair done before I had kids and that preference didn't stop just because I'd had a baby. I also did the same as superworm......... I used to go to my mums and have a longer than usual shower, take longer than the usual 30 seconds to get dried and let her fuss around me whilst minding the baby.

BillBrysonsBeard Fri 13-May-16 13:32:13

I'm not into the whole moisturising/face masks thing but made sure I had a bath/shower every night so I felt fresh and had clean hair, even if its a quick 10 minute one. I left my hair to dry naturally and just styled it every now and then for a special occasion. I spent 5 mins putting makeup on every day as I just feel more me with it on, another 5 mins once a week painting my nails. Only small amounts out of my day... It helped me feel like my old self instead of just a mum. I wasn't fussed about wearing smart clothes though! I felt okay being a bit scruffy if I had done my makeup. We're all different though OP, just spend a small amount of time doing bits that you did previously smile

kay2016 Fri 13-May-16 14:18:37

So many good ideas! I felt a bit silly for feeling this as the most important thing for me is my baby but at the same time I am such a hard worker. When I am not taking care of our newborn, I am doing some work from home as a consultant and I literally feel like Frankenstein when my hubby come home! Some friends said this could be a post pregnancy depression but I think it's quite normal to feel hard to adapt to such a sudden change as a new baby? Love the ideas thank you very much!

KamMum Fri 13-May-16 14:25:56

I felt the same when I had my little one. I went on a shopping spree and bought new clothes which flattered my post baby belly and could accommodate breast feeding. Get your hair and nails done and in a bb cream which can give you quick coverage!

Starspread Fri 13-May-16 14:30:41

I don't think figuring out how to keep all your identities going, and taking some time to adjust to such a profound change, is PPD - don't think you have anything to worry about smile

I started wearing lipstick for almost the first time when the baby was still very new; it took 30 seconds to put on and made me feel positively fancy (even if my unwashed hair was bundled back into a scruffy bun!).

By the time you've figured out what small things work for you, it'll all have changed again anyway! Some days you'll feel like you look great, some days getting a shower would be an achievement; they're both fine smile

kay2016 Fri 13-May-16 14:39:56

KamMum you are so right!!! I am going to book some beauticians to come to my home and do my hair & nails! Glad to see that I am not the only one that felt that way! lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now