Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to ask if anyone has gone from citalopram to sertraline?

(22 Posts)
cjt110 Fri 13-May-16 10:36:03

Hi all,

I am on 30mg of citalopram and find that after being on them for quite some time (I was on them from 2010-2013 then back on them from Jan 2015 until now) have found their effects lessening and the Dr has prescribed 50mg of Sertraline. He has advised I slowly reduce my dose of citalopram over say the next week from 30, to 20 to 10 then go onto the sertraline. Has anyone had experience of changing over from these meds? If so, how did you transition?

Im also unsure of my final dose. The Dr said you just increase 50, to 100 etc but my pack says take 50mg once a day?

AerithEarling Fri 13-May-16 10:45:57

No you do have to increase you cant just take it because your body is not use to it

cjt110 Fri 13-May-16 10:48:10

Do you mean decrease the citalopram and increase the sertraline? The box says to take 1 a day?

Sillybillypoopoomummy Fri 13-May-16 10:56:32

I did and I'm afraid that it was awful... I lasted a month on it and I think I spent the whole month in tears and was a jittery, anxious wreck. DH is a psychiatrist and was very surprised as he says it is usually very well tolerated but even he had to admit that it didn't suit me one little bit. I de-jittered very rapidly after I came off it. On the plus side I lost a fair bit of weight that month.

However, it did make me realise that pills are not for me (most do nothing, but some doing that wasn't on...) so I tried other tactics. I have discovered that exercise works wonders. Nothing strenuous, just a good long walk to work most days that gets me outside. I am currently pill free :-)

cjt110 Fri 13-May-16 11:07:54

Sillybillypoopoomummy If only I could be pill free. I tried it and ended up back on them sad

TheMaddHugger Fri 13-May-16 15:57:22

((((((((((((((((big Hugs))))))))))))).

Adult DD had to wean herself off the citalopram before being allowed the Sertraline. But we are in Oz [not sure where you are]

I am most likely on Sertraline for life for SADS

TheMaddHugger Fri 13-May-16 15:59:38

what also helps are a fairly big dose of Vit B complex and a tonne of fish oil. Got to start slowly and work your way up to where your own body tells you it is happy.

More ((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))

cjt110 Fri 13-May-16 16:13:11

Thanks Hugger I'm in the UK. I've weaned off Cit before when I stopped it for approx 18m so I know I can do it. I remember it being a bit weird and buzzy head etc.

So I just keep dosing (slowly) until I feel ok on Sert?

TheMaddHugger Fri 13-May-16 16:22:01

very slowly, yes. your Doc is a Dick.

It is normal to feel crap when starting Sertraline. Headaches/nausea are a positive thing tho, those that get a headache when starting Sert acclimatise to it better. and get better results in the long term.

I know, its crap.

((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))

[ im off for the night, its almost 1 am here, but if you want, message me anytime, to chat, ok ?
((Hug)) You are not alone smile

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 13-May-16 16:31:19

I went from citalopram to sertraline with no issues whatsoever. I was on 50mg for some time, then raised to 100 a couple of years ago. I vastly prefer it to citalopram, my head is properly clear and I can recognise when I am slipping into a depressive episode and react before it gets too bad. So you might be lucky smile

purpleporpoise Fri 13-May-16 16:45:35

I have been on both with a gap in between. I much prefer sertraline

WreckingBallsInsideMyHead Fri 13-May-16 17:04:32

Never had sertraline but have had citalopram

As far as I can remember I didn't have any hideous withdrawal effects, just a bit weepy, and could start my new meds as soon as I was off citalopram

I had a far worse time coming of duloxetine and had to have a week of no meds before I could start venlafaxine, that was horrendous, I had headaches, dizziness, nausea, out of control emotions, constant crying. I got signed off work for two weeks with it.

teafortoads Fri 13-May-16 17:19:53

In my experience Set. is horrendous - Even if I take it first thing in the morning I am wired and get no sleep at all. Cital. just turned me into a fat slug. Venlafaxine, now there's a good un! Don't feel bad about taking them-If you had say, high blood pressure, you'd take the medication for it. If it's broken it's not going to fix itself. I felt really guilty like i'd let myself and DD down having cold turkeyed from the Venlafaxine and various other pills while pregnant - Panicked and stopped taking them on Friday, it WAS HORRENDOUS but that was completely stopping from a big dose. Went to see Drs on Monday and discovered I was supposed to wean not cold turkey (was very ill at the time so all a bit of a mess). Managed to stay off the Anti Depressants despite so much horrible stuff going on, then I finally caved in a couple of months ago and life is so much better. Felt like a I had failed big time but now i'm seeing things a lot clearer I realise that depression is a part of me and there is no denying or escaping that so the pills are there for life. Persevere and if one lot aren't for you keep trying (I know it's horrid having to go through the side effects then discovering that sort aren't for you and being back to square one but persevere!). Hope all goes well for you.

milkbottle Fri 13-May-16 17:21:10

I have done this and it was fine for me. I just went straight from taking 50mg citalopram to 100g setraline the next day when it was prescribed!

SallyMcgally Fri 13-May-16 17:23:34

Am on Sertraline for the second time now - had mild nausea when first taking it, but not for long. I find I'm much much better on it, and had no side effects after first few days, except for when I came off it last time, when I was a bit light-headed. Nothing worse than that though.
Hope it goes well for you.

HeadHeartAndSoul Fri 13-May-16 17:30:02

I went straight from 40 mg Citalopram to 50 mg Sertealine then increased it to 100 mg after a week. Bizarre side effect: my mood was stable but very low and I had a week of bursting into tears and howlung very randomly. Very disconcerting. Stopped as quickly as it started.

Thankfulforeveryday Fri 13-May-16 17:35:11

I switched across too. I weaned off like your doctor said but over the course of maybe ten days then just took to 50g of sert the next day. I'm a lot happier on these new ones, they seem to suit me better and no weight gain so far either!! I feel like I have some emotion rather than just being numb to everything! I felt slightly nauseous when I started but it wore off quickly and is worth it! Good luck!

mirime Fri 13-May-16 17:37:23

Teafortoads, venlafaxine was better for me than the sertraline. Had fewer side-effects, sertraline made me so nauseous I couldn't eat.

To the op, everyone is different. Sertraline might suit you just fine.

modelthroughit Fri 13-May-16 17:40:25

I was on citalopram for a couple of years, but then I had a rare but known reaction to them (became SUPER sensitive to the sun literally overnight and was hospitalised with heatstroke) and stopped overnight. That was the worst three weeks I remember in a long time - I was very very close to presenting myself to A&E as a danger to myself.
I've been on sertraline for four years now, and it's been fine. I've gone up and down doses a few times but have settled on 150mg now. I have no intention of reducing.

mylittlearmy Sat 14-May-16 03:45:16

I went from citalopram to sertraline but it made things worse . After 8 weeks switched to fluoxetine which has been better.

cjt110 Sun 15-May-16 11:41:55

Thanks for all your replies. Have reduced from 30mg to 20mg for a few days and have felt no ill effects. Will decrease to 10mg tomorrow for a few more days then swap. Hoping they help to ease my aggression. I'm so angry all the time.

TheMaddHugger Mon 16-May-16 11:02:13

Thinking of you (((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now