Talk

Advanced search

To wish my baby would stop shitting!

(26 Posts)
gilmar Thu 12-May-16 22:46:04

My ds 14 months has had diarrhoea for 3 weeks now, apparently caused by his jags and teething. He leaks every night in bed and then all day so we have so much washing every day.
Have used bigger nappies, smaller nappies etc it still leaks. Doctor says it will clear up on his own but it's a nightmare! Has anyone else had this and did it just go on its own??

ArmySal Thu 12-May-16 22:52:50

My 16 month old is the same, he's currently teething, isn't ill, but I'm changing a shitty nappy between 5-6 times a day.

My first was worse though, and it does just stop, just need to keep them hydrated.

gilmar Thu 12-May-16 23:17:39

I just feel like it's never ending!

wobblywonderwoman Thu 12-May-16 23:19:30

that's tough going op. might sound silly but a banana a day might help. cut down on dairy

Fwaffy Thu 12-May-16 23:22:40

Have a look at "toddler diarrhoea" on patient.co.uk or similar. They have good dietary advice for persisting diarrhoea. He could also have a bit of temporary lactose intolerance as a result of the diarrhoea so might be worth looking at that too.

Apart from that, sympathies flowers. Diarrhoea is, oh so literally, shit.

gilmar Thu 12-May-16 23:23:58

I tried some banana purée the other day. My Dh said it would bind him up lol. It's really wearing me down every morning going in to face another leaky nappy and dirty bed covers etc. Took him to the doctors today and she just said it would
Clear up on its on.
I was secretly hoping she would give me a magic cure!
Lol

elephantoverthehill Thu 12-May-16 23:33:34

Just stop feeding your children. grin. When it got really bad with my eldest I put those old fashioned plastic pants on him like ones used to use around terry nappies on top of the disposable nappies. With the younger DCs I used some 'Dry night' disposable sheets and sometimes those 'Little Swimmers' over the nappy.

gilmar Thu 12-May-16 23:36:53

They should invent plastic onesies
for times like this, that you just through out after! I can't face another bed change tomorrow
I really can't. His room constantly stinks now, no matter how much I
Air it out!

Pico2 Thu 12-May-16 23:44:23

My DD had temporary lactose intolerance when she was about 9 months old. Within a day of putting her on lactose free formula she was fine. It might be worth cutting out lactose for a few days to see if it makes a difference.

Mummyme1987 Thu 12-May-16 23:49:15

Try a large nappy over a normal size one. Sympathies

gilmar Thu 12-May-16 23:50:43

Pico where can I get lactose free milk, would it have to be prescribed?

WhirlwindHugs Thu 12-May-16 23:54:06

If he's over one I would think normal lactofree milk would be fine? Although I'm not sure they do a full fat version. Pretty sure I've seen lactose free formula in boots too.

I was going to suggest dairy too! DD2 has post illness dairy intolerance at the moment - it's been three months so far so I'm glad we cut it out!

gilmar Thu 12-May-16 23:56:31

Oh no now I'm really worried. I've been a bit stressed out lately and this would just be one more thing to get worried about sad

Pico2 Fri 13-May-16 09:08:03

We bought it off the shelf in Boots.

Pico2 Fri 13-May-16 09:08:17

Formula that is.

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Fri 13-May-16 13:11:19

Have the gps asked for a stool sample? If not go in and ask for one to be taken and checked.

NoSpamPam Fri 13-May-16 13:25:48

Put him up for adoption.

NoSpamPam Fri 13-May-16 13:26:25

I hope I use some rehydration salts babezzz

Itsseweasy Fri 13-May-16 13:43:26

I'm a long time lurker and have joined purely to respond to this post as I feel so sorry for you both!
My daughter had this exactly a year ago - weeks of runny nappies and it seemed like it would never go away.
A friend recommended plenty of yoghurt with live cultures in (that's about as technical as I get) so we bought Actimel, and it worked pretty much overnight in settling her tummy again - I swear by it (hate the stuff myself though).
Got her the full fat one and even the extra creamy one or whatever it's called.

MaisieDotes Fri 13-May-16 13:48:32

You alright there pam?

DC3 is 14 weeks and in his whole life he has done about three poos that have stayed inside his nappy. I actually texted DH once when his nappy didn't leak for the first time. He's absolutely fine in every other way but no matter what size / type of nappy he has on, the poo manages to escape somewhere.

I've thrown out so many vests and things.

Onsera3 Fri 13-May-16 13:54:05

This would happen to my son after a bug. It would persist for ages.

Things that worked- cooled peppermint tea, probiotic, things with pectin (peppa pig vitamins) or gelatin (marshmallows or jelly or bone broth soup), just yellow bananas (not the very ripe ones) or something starchy like rice/rice cakes.

madamginger Fri 13-May-16 13:54:27

My ds2 was like this when he was 2, so much that he was admitted to hospital as he was dehydrated, the gp suggested lactofree milk and he was clear within a couple of days. I bought it with the regular milk in Tesco.

GrassW1dow Fri 13-May-16 19:55:42

I second all the suggestions that it might be temporary lactose intolerance.
DS is 17 mo and has had this twice now. Took DS to dr after permanent runs for 9 days (otherwise fine). Dr said it's 'temporary post-viral lactose intolerance' (although the virus was hardly noticeable).
Suggested removing lactose from diet for 2 weeks and re-introducing slowly (e.g. one ounce per feed).
I used SMA lactose free formula (which I've only ever found in pharmacies).

GrassW1dow Fri 13-May-16 19:56:17

BTW, it totally worked. I cut out lactose straight away and the next day he was back to normal poos

GrassW1dow Fri 13-May-16 19:57:48

And, incidentally, it really is temporary and he's gone back to tolerating dairy fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now