Talk

Advanced search

to think a P3 teacher should be able to spell 'orchestra'

(18 Posts)
paintandbrush Thu 12-May-16 20:19:01

Without having to consult a dictionary. This word was suggested by a 7 year old in the class (who could spell it) during a words-that-start-with-O exercise.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 12-May-16 20:21:22

In an ideal world. But meh.

HouseAnxiety Thu 12-May-16 20:21:37

Sometimes your mind goes blank!
That happens to me when I'm in front of a class.
It's actually good for children to see an adult looking up a word.
Shows that we all need help sometimes.

I had to look up 'Jurassic' the other day. My mind went blank.

AllThingsNautical Thu 12-May-16 20:21:54

Sometimes my mind blanks on a spelling and I look it up to be sure. If you see a lot of misspelled words (ie if you are a teacher), sometimes you doubt yourself. It's good to show children to check dictionaries if they are not sure of a spelling. No one is infallible.

HouseAnxiety Thu 12-May-16 20:23:53

Also, we have some dyslexic teachers at our school. They're fantastic but sometimes check spellings to be sure. Nothing wrong with that.

paintandbrush Thu 12-May-16 20:26:09

Fair enough re. being a good example to the kids.

Onsera3 Thu 12-May-16 20:27:04

No. It's not a high frequency word. Dyslexic people are allowed to be teachers. Sometimes you start to second guess the spelling of a word when you think about it too long. Teacher modelled what to do with word you can't spell.

EatShitDerek Thu 12-May-16 20:27:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

paintandbrush Thu 12-May-16 20:32:31

struggles to think of alternate spellings for 'the' grin

EatShitDerek Thu 12-May-16 20:33:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Birdsgottafly Thu 12-May-16 20:36:48

OP, if any of us couldn't get a 'helping hand' from a dictionary etc, then most professional Women, would have to be granted leave, during the Menopause etc.

That's beside people who have Dyslexia etc, or who just can't spell.

I don't think that someone who can spell or do mental arithmetic, necessarily make better teachers.

ElegantDream Thu 12-May-16 20:58:36

I use another language at home. Sometimes words are similar in sound/ spelling in both languages and I cannot remember which is the correct spelling in English. grin

wineoclockthanks Thu 12-May-16 21:00:57

Did you know that an anagram of orchestra is carthorse?

<misses point of thread but has been waiting years for this fact to come in useful!>

emwithme Thu 12-May-16 21:54:46

wine I was just coming on to say that.

I love the fact that orchestra is an anagram of carthorse. In my mind's eye, the carthorses in my imaginary menagerie are playing instruments. It's quite an amusing picture.

paintandbrush Fri 13-May-16 01:00:07

Oh that's cool, thanks wine grin I love odd knowledge like that

coolaschmoola Fri 13-May-16 01:23:34

Teaching effectively isn't simply about knowing everything. Part of being an effective teacher is teaching children how to find things out for themselves. It also isn't possible for teachers to know everything. What we do need to know is how to find out - and now those children know too. Fabulous.

I am a teacher who regularly makes students look up spellings in dictionaries that I can spell - because once they are out of my classroom they may not always have someone to ask. It would be easier for them and me to just tell them - but what do they actually learn from that?

ElegantDream Fri 13-May-16 09:50:33

There's also nothing worse than HAVING to be right to make you want to double check everything!

AdrenalineFudge Fri 13-May-16 10:43:05

You've put it much more eloquently than I was going to coolaschmoola grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now