Talk

Advanced search

Pay to stay

(8 Posts)
IthinkIamsinking Thu 12-May-16 20:16:42

Now that the Housing Bill has been forced through I am now in the heartbreaking position of possibly having to leave my home of 19 years where I raised my children and my life here because I cannot afford the sky high local rents. AIBU to think they should have taken a national average so those in areas where market rates are sky high (London commuter town, high proportion of foreign owned investment property) have a fairer rent increase compared to areas where market rates are much lower? I am not opposed to higher earners paying more rent in principle but FFS make it fair so those unlucky enough to live in a place where the cheapest homes are 360,000 and the cheapest rent for a crappy little 3 bed is 1500 a month.
Am utterly sick with worry about next April.

I hate this fucking government

sparechange Thu 12-May-16 20:25:38

How old are your DCs?

IthinkIamsinking Thu 12-May-16 20:44:53

They are 17. One has a place at a London uni for 2017 and I will need to support her financially as surprise surprise the Tories rolled out means tested loans. What she is entitled to will just about cover the rent. She is gong to try and find a gap year job. The other one starts a two year course in September.
I love my home and it was a shit tip when I moved into it and have saved and spent money making it as nice as I can.
I just don't know what I will do. My job, family and friends and my life is here. I will need to move miles away because even with a 20 mile radius of where I live rent is sky high.
They are going to impose this hike regardless of household outgoings.

gamerchick Thu 12-May-16 20:51:08

Yeah it's going to affect us as well. I'm just reminding myself I'm paying for the secure tenancy. There isn't really a massive gap inbetween private and SH rents here anyway.

What's really boiling my norks is that extra money is going to central government rather than back into housing. It's just another way to squeeze extra money out of us under whatever crap they've dressed it up as.

IthinkIamsinking Thu 12-May-16 20:59:11

It's a bloody tax Gamer
Gap between my rent and private for a like for like house is £900 to £1000

expatinscotland Thu 12-May-16 21:01:29

What does the bill say?

chilipepper20 Thu 12-May-16 21:03:17

if the difference is so small, won't your rent rise by small as well?

Twirlywoooo Thu 12-May-16 21:40:56

I thought it was recently watered down after suffering numerous defeats in the House of Lords?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now