to wonder how many threads are started by journalists?

(28 Posts)
runnerselbow Thu 12-May-16 19:36:22

After the recent 'wedding gift' thread (which seemed genuine, not referring to that specifically) going viral and ending up in the news, and some other obvious examples (penis beaker) it's made me wonder - how many threads are started by journalists with the hope of getting an easy story..? Can't help but think that it must happen... Anyone spotted any obvious ones?

DefinitelyNotAJourno Thu 12-May-16 20:16:58

No idea

HeffalumpHistory Thu 12-May-16 20:17:54

Lots I'd imagine sad

Behooven Thu 12-May-16 20:20:27

...and zombie threads from years ago bumped by first time posters, like the controversial one in trending

paintandbrush Thu 12-May-16 20:29:52

Seems unlikely IMO. No guarantee of getting people going, as it were.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 12-May-16 20:31:56

Bloody loads.

If the OP doesn't come back to reply, then it's a JOURNO imo.

BeYourselfUnlessUCanBeAUnicorn Thu 12-May-16 20:32:11

That would mean them doing some actual work. It seems they actually prefer to just stalk the boards and cut and paste it into an article. Hardly journalism. Does put me off posting a thread apart from trivial shit (problem is hardly anyone is a answering them!)

silverpenny Thu 12-May-16 20:36:54

87.4%

runnerselbow Thu 12-May-16 20:45:51

Haha! I'm definitely not a journo lol. Although do do some writing, which probably was part of what made me imagine hacks sitting there plotting viral MN threads. Felt a bit sorry for the recent wedding invitation poster as I'm sure they didn't expect it to be in the actual news. blush

CopyAndPasteCuntingJournos Thu 12-May-16 20:46:18

Generally I think they tend to lurk looking for juicy stories. Occasionally you get the "this happened to me, has it happened to you" type threads which are very suspicious though.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 12-May-16 20:47:49

I live in Canada and heard about the wedding thread this morning on the radio. It's terrifying, frankly. I've been quoted on the BBC out of context.

runnerselbow Thu 12-May-16 20:49:56

@MrsTerry exactly! When I saw the story part of me was wondering about the ethics of it all... I'd be completely freaked out if I posted something on MN and it ended up in the Telegraph!!

AntiHop Thu 12-May-16 20:55:59

Which wedding thread was in the news?

FatherReboolaConundrum Thu 12-May-16 20:57:42

Lots, probably. As I said on the wedding thread, I think there are probably more at the moment because so many writers and researchers for shitty outlets like the Mail and C5 have had their arses handed to them in Media Requests for asking sexist, patronising, semi-literate questions and then having toddler tantrums when called out for it (like the one that wanted to know if anyone had been given a 'push present' - sorry, a LAVISH push present - for having 'his baby', which MN pulled after the OP started whinging about everyone being horrid bullies). Much easier to write a fake story and then report it, or harvest non-news from threads they didn't even have to start. Twats.

Randomposter Thu 12-May-16 20:58:07

I doubt many are tbh, but they defo lurk!
I was contacted by researchers to appear on radio after I started a thread on here, was also quoted in the daily mail ( different name ) I'm not surprised though, MN is a great place to get material.

runnerselbow Thu 12-May-16 20:58:36

@anti - someone posted in AIBU about an ex colleague who responded to a £100 cash wedding gift (incredibly generous imo) with, basically, a request that they increase the amount. Saw it on my facebook feed from the Telegraph.

JeopardyMouse Thu 12-May-16 21:00:32

I'm surprised the wedding thread has been run as news and therefore taken as fact. The journalists have no proof that any of it is true - everything written on here could be completely made up. It's so lazy.

runnerselbow Thu 12-May-16 21:02:12

I've seen twitter convos make the 'broadsheets' LOL

runnerselbow Thu 12-May-16 21:02:48

It's all just about clickbait nowadays innit

AliceScarlett Thu 12-May-16 21:03:37

6%

JeopardyMouse Thu 12-May-16 21:04:50

All it does is devalue journalism even further and make readers have even less faith in reporting. At a time when papers are struggling they should be striving for excellence not trawling forums and social media for "news".

JuxtapositionRecords Thu 12-May-16 21:05:12

The wedding one though now it has gone viral must have outed the Op in RL? She quoted the email word for word!

runnerselbow Thu 12-May-16 21:06:13

My thoughts exactly @juxta!

JeopardyMouse Thu 12-May-16 21:06:25

I suspect some of the stats on this thread may have been made up. Wonder if they'll make it to tomorrow's broadsheets?

runnerselbow Thu 12-May-16 21:11:40

"Mumsnetters estimate anywhere between 6% and 87.4% of threads to be fabricated by journalists." grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now