Talk

Advanced search

To think that 10 year old could uneventfully do youtube channel

(9 Posts)
colourdilemma Thu 12-May-16 19:24:23

Dd desperate to join in with group of seven friends who are setting up a youtube channel. They are sensible enough, have thought about safety and appropriateness. Dd has limited, downstairs access to iPad which she would use to film daft challenge type videos.

Dh and I have previously said no to any social media or uploading to youtube until 13. Are we right to stick to our guns on this or can youtube be a positive experience for younger children without the nightmare bullying/constant checking things that go on with Instagram etc.

I am prepared to spoil her fun if needs be for her happiness and wellbeing but equally don't want to have her feeling left out with no good reason.

What are your experiences, good and bad with preteens and making/uploading youtube videos? Can of worms/pandora's box? Or something pretty positive?

PNGirl Thu 12-May-16 19:34:43

In my opinion YouTube is so saturated they will probably get barely any views so there's probably no harm. My main concerns would be the friends falling out over it.

Princesspeach1980 Thu 12-May-16 19:41:19

I would disable the comment, and view everything before upload,but otherwise I can't see the harm

blueskywithclouds Thu 12-May-16 19:47:46

I'm ultra paranoid so I would say no. However, I think more reasonable me agrees that as long as comments are disabled and you can view what they are uploading then it's probably ok. I think the worst thing would be if they uploaded a really embarrassing video and then it got shared...it's then out there for all. They need to understand that and I'm not sure 10year olds do.

AerithEarling Thu 12-May-16 19:49:31

There are a lot of arseholes on Youtube, I do not think it is a good idea for someone young. I have a YT channel when I started cause my videos were rubbish I got some abuse, it was kind of hurtful, whilst you learn to ignore it I was not 10years old, so I could handle it.
Then again as the above person said they most likely wont get many views due to how youtube is these days.

SayWhat123 Thu 12-May-16 19:51:06

No - everyone on YouTube talk like complete gutter mouths. They would love nothing more than to tear down 10 year olds. Isn't there an age limit on having a channel yourself?

caitlinohara Thu 12-May-16 20:00:23

Ds1's friend is 8 and has a channel. It is mostly just him messing about with his toys and playing computer games but I was a bit shock when I found out, because as others have said it's the vicious comments you could get that would bother me. If you can disable those and impress on them that they must ask permission before posting videos involving other people it's probably ok.

colourdilemma Thu 12-May-16 20:32:45

I am in agreement about the views! Don't think they'll get many! It's a bit out of my hands in terms of control of the actual channel as dd's friend (parents?!) has set up the channel already. When I had a calm talk about my worries with her, she told me that they knew not to put their whole names up, not to show school uniforms, not to mention where they live. She also knows that videos she wants to upload would have to go through us if we decide its okay to join in and we agreed the rule of "suitable to show (pretty cool) grandma". Still don't want it!

OddBoots Thu 12-May-16 20:39:17

I think it is unlikely to be a problem right now but if the log in etc are in the control of someone else then is she decides when she is 14 that the stuff from when she was 10 is embarrassing and she wants to take it down she won't be able to. Even if she had control herself nothing online is certain to disappear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now