Talk

Advanced search

To ask if there is a way to fade scars

(14 Posts)
Abbinob Thu 12-May-16 18:26:43

That actually works?
Does bio oil work on old scars kn only fresh ones?
I have quite a lot of sf scars on my arms, they're not bad bad or anything but it's obvious what they are and I do find it embarassing because it's like a personal fact about me is broadcast to everyone.
I think they look worse because I have sort of tan olivey yellowy skin so they're quite a lot paler than I am

andadietcoke Thu 12-May-16 18:33:24

I also have a very scarred forearm. They're not red and angry, just not the same tone or texture as the rest of my skin. I'm not sure there's anything that can help now. I manage to forget about them, and they're only really obvious if I have a tan as they obviously don't darken, or go bright red. That's the only time anyone ever asks me about them.

I sometimes think/hope that they're more obvious to us than they are to anyone else, and that maybe other people don't notice.

Abbinob Thu 12-May-16 18:39:11

A manager at my old job kept mentioning them, because I usually.always wore my jumper and once took it off then ever since then he was all "why are you wearing your jumper all the time? " "what happened to your arms" when I said nothing happened it's not his business he demanded I roll up my sleeves and show him!
I didn't obviously, I told him to fuck off and got fired
No one else has ever been so rude though thankfully

EatShitDerek Thu 12-May-16 18:40:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Abbinob Thu 12-May-16 18:41:47

Actually my midwife did ask about it too but that didn't bother me because I figure she was trying to gauge if I was at more risk of pnd which is fair enough,

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 12-May-16 18:42:43

I think that I've they've got to the white/silvery stage they're not really going to change.

Do not be ashamed of your scars - they are part of your history.

Abbinob Thu 12-May-16 18:43:56

I kinda considered getting that coverup makeup stuff but I can barely be fucked to put make up on my face let alone my arms.

TheIncredibleBookEatingManchot Thu 12-May-16 18:44:46

In another thread about scars recently someone said they had been advised by a doctor to massage moisturiser (any moisturiser) into their scars for about a minute twice a day, and that it was working.

I've started doing that now, I haven't noticed any difference yet, but it's still early days.

TheGhostOfBarryFairbrother Thu 12-May-16 18:55:35

Another one with SH scars... my GP said the same about massaging with cream, spending a good few minutes on them.

Is the Bio Oil worth it? Can't really afford it if it's not going to make a difference. Some of mine are wide from when I didn't get stitches.

Crazycatlady83 Thu 12-May-16 19:00:24

I've used vitamin E cream on my appendix and c-section scars and that has helped!

mrsnec Thu 12-May-16 19:04:01

I have had a massive laparotomy scar on my stomach for 12 years and I tried everything.

I'm not convinced anything worked very well and certainly not bio oil. I tried silicone patches too at one point but that needed to be done earlier.

I think any decent moisturiser is as good as bio oil. I like Palmers cocoa butter but I stopped using it regularly because I actually felt treatment of my scar wasn't good for me mentally as by constantly applying stuff to it I'm reminding myself it's there so it's easier to just forget about it.

specialsubject Thu 12-May-16 19:24:02

bio oil is completely unproven, don't waste your money.

there are some new treatments although my source of information is from Katie Piper on the telly last night! Have a chat with your doctor.

but anyone who comments isn't worth your time.

Lovesabadboy Thu 12-May-16 19:57:36

I used lavender oil on a scar on my chin.
It really worked, but it was a new wound and so I am not sure if works on old scars.
It is not expensive though ( I think I got mine in Wilkinsons or Bodycare - don't go to Holland and Barrett as it was dear there), so definitely worth a try.

andadietcoke Thu 12-May-16 20:02:31

I used silicone patches on some of mine when they were still fairly new and I don't think they're any better for them, but it was a few years ago and the technology might have improved.

I've just taken a photo to see how noticeable they were and have freaked myself out a bit - I had no idea my arm was so...lumpy.

Weirdly the only people who have commented on mine in the last few years have been staff in hotels in Turkey/Egypt/Tunisia and have just asked me outright if they were SH scars (with a delightful sawing across my arm action). I wonder if culturally it's more common (or more discussed). No one's asked me for years in this country.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now