To expect the launderette to fix or replace this?

(23 Posts)
Lj8893 Thu 12-May-16 09:09:08

We had a service wash done at the launderette (washing machine broke!) and when we unpacked all the clothes they had neatly folded up for us, we discovered that they were all covered in luminous green pen or paint!! All our clothes are ruined. I've rang the launderette this morning and they have said they can refund us the cost of the service wash (£18) but that's all.

For us to replace the clothes it will cost us upwards of £300, it's all branded stuff and we don't have that sort of money right now to go out and buy more clothes. It's left me with only one pair of trousers/leggings and was most of my husbands wardrobe, he's got nothing to wear now!

Surely they should try and get these stains out for us?

RubbleBubble00 Thu 12-May-16 09:12:23

Go down, dump clothes on the counter and complain loudly

nipersvest Thu 12-May-16 09:13:45

take it all back and show them the damage, its much harder for them to brush you off face to face.

Feelingsolow12345 Thu 12-May-16 09:15:00

how did it get paint on them in the first place? I didn't know a laundrette was a place where you can paint and draw.

do what rubble said. I'd make a scene.

PaulAnkaTheDog Thu 12-May-16 09:16:56

Are you asking for £300 or for the stuff to be washed again? Your post is a bit confusing. I'm surprised they wouldn't rewash the stuff as a gesture of goodwill!

Lj8893 Thu 12-May-16 09:21:52

I don't know how it got the green stuff on, I don't know what it is but looks like paint or pen.

I just want the stuff fixed, so either they try and remove the stains, pay for it to be dry cleaned or offer some sort of gesture for us to replace some of it. Ideally, they will be able to get the stains out themselves.

I would happily get the stains out myself if I knew how, but whatever it is is pretty well washed in and I don't think I have the means or tools to do it myself.

Curvygurl Thu 12-May-16 09:29:10

If it looks like paint or pen is it possible there was a marker in your wash when you left it in?

Lj8893 Thu 12-May-16 09:48:56

No definitely not, I checked everything before putting it in the bag to take and we don't own anything like that anyway.

t4gnut Thu 12-May-16 09:52:51

Someone left a green highlighter or marker pen in a pocket.....

Lj8893 Thu 12-May-16 09:58:20

I checked everything before bagging it up, and we don't own anything like that anyway.

Lj8893 Thu 12-May-16 10:02:02

It does look like a highlighter or something though. My guess is that there was one in the machine from the previous wash. I can't believe they didn't notice it all when folding it all up though.

Any ideas how I can get it out myself? Any miracle products I can buy with my refunded £18?!

Curvygurl Thu 12-May-16 10:02:13

Can you post a pic? Maybe someone will be able to identify what it is.

Curvygurl Thu 12-May-16 10:10:32

Sorry missed ur pic. Liquid from a highlighter pen without a doubt. If it had been in the machine from previous wash it won't have emptied onto that road rather than yours so more likely than not it was yours. I work in an office a find them everywhere at home all the time. Kids love them too as my walls well know. I'm sure if you google you might get an answer on taking it out.

Lj8893 Thu 12-May-16 10:13:06

We definitely do not own anything like that though so no ours.

Lj8893 Thu 12-May-16 10:15:29

The only pens we have in our house are normal black and blue ballpoint pens. We have just moved house and had a massive sort out before then and not had time to aquire anything new like that.

I don't use them in my job and neither does my husband.

My daughter has crayons and pencils at home but no pens of any sort.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 12-May-16 10:39:53

Ahhhh it could very easily be crayon! I did this once, it's drying the clothes that does it! You can remove the stains though so don't panic!

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 12-May-16 10:40:47

www.crayola.co.uk/support/stain-tips/crayons-regular/crayons-regular-on-fabricsfresh-stainsheatset-stainsmelted/

Lj8893 Thu 12-May-16 10:44:04

Oh that's interesting about crayon, I wouldn't have thought that would stain but it makes sense that it might when drying it.

I will check the link out Thankyou!

Lj8893 Thu 12-May-16 10:45:20

Although there is no crayons missing from dds box of crayons. So perhaps not.

OliviaBenson Thu 12-May-16 11:15:05

Completely out of order. This is what they have insurance for. I'd be taking this up with their manager and they should try and fix it for you. Their offer is almost insulting!

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 12-May-16 12:28:44

The crayon marked the inside of my dryer as well as the clothes, made a right mess! It did all come out though luckily!

Lj8893 Fri 13-May-16 18:23:18

Definetly not a crayon from our house as we are not missing any, and we don't have any green pens anyway. I'm certain it's paint by the looks of things.

Dh phoned them up today and they have taken back thier offer of a refund, and are completely denying all responsibility. Saying it was already on the clothes before hand and that's why they didn't say anything when he picked them up. Eventually they hung up on him.

I will be going in there in person with the clothes on Monday, I am so angry now. My husband has no clothes to wear other than those already on his back!

JinRamen Fri 13-May-16 18:45:56

😮 that is shocking! How could it have been there before hand if it is through the whole load?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now