To ask your advice about 'temporary housing'?

(7 Posts)
Jadifer Wed 11-May-16 14:19:16

I literally couldn't find a topic related to this on the big list so I'll ask it here.

Basically, my landlord needs us out. It's just me and my 2yo and I'm studying with the OU so unemployed. Our section 21 runs out monday 16th and we've been told by the council (only today, after a LOT of being forgotten about and messed around) that we will be placed in temporary housing on Monday.

Has anyone experienced this or have any knowledge of it, to let me know what to expect or try to pack - really literally anything because all I've been told is i'll be able to bring very little. I'm terrified to be in one room with my daughter as she won't sleep with me there or the light on so it'll be lying in the dark from 7pm for me.

Thanks in advance x

StarryIllusion Wed 11-May-16 14:27:37

Nothing valuable and only essentials. Think going in holiday for a week. Toiletries, clothes, chargers etc. Minimal toys. Take nothing you couldn't bear to lose as those places are notorious for having things stolen. Get a friend to look after anything special or valuable that you won't have on your person all the time. My friend used to live in temp accommodation, I babysat for them there a few times. Don't expect any consideration when being placed. She was a single mother and was placed with 2 foreign men who spoke no English and had people round all hours. This was a 3 bedroom house so one room for her and both kids. I think it was the least of her worries. Imo they make it as unpleasant as possible so people don't stay long.

MiyakoOdori Wed 11-May-16 14:32:34

It could be a b&b or a house. A friend of mine actually had a flat to herself and her kids it's luck of the draw really.

Take the absolute bare minimum with you like you're going on holiday. If you can put the majority of your stuff at a family/friends/storage place that would be ideal

Best of luck hopefully you'll have a home soon

SaucyJack Wed 11-May-16 14:35:31

Sadly, I should imagine it varies so much from area to area that no one on here will be able to answer for you.

I spent two years in temp. housing- but for me it was a standard unfurnished two-bed flat for just me and my girls which the council leased from a private landlord.

Good luck dude xx

FlibbertigibbetArmadillo Wed 11-May-16 15:16:52

When you say your section 21 runs out do you mean the day your landlord said he'd like you out or have you gone all through the courts and are being officially evicted?

Medusacascade Wed 11-May-16 16:33:22

It's more unusual these days to be placed in temporary housing until you've been actually evicted by a court and then the landlord has been granted a bailiff. If you live in a big city with a major housing shortage it might be wort double checking.

Jadifer Thu 12-May-16 16:16:51

I am definitely being placed in temp housing before I'm evicted x I wad messed around a lot by them so went in and refused to leave until I was given a meeting with someone able to make a decision, she initially told me to wait until I was evicted (yesterday she told me this) and then called later that day saying they would actually be housing me on Monday and to hand my keys over and go to the offices to await placement

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now