Talk

Advanced search

Should i take a job i'm over qualified for?

(14 Posts)
Redbulladdict Wed 11-May-16 12:18:08

I have 6 years administration and reception plus sales since I am currently selling products for avon.
I haven't worked in an office in July 2015, I have just been doing avon. My last job closed down.
I however have mental illness and I cannot use public transport unless i am with someone.
I also am seeking work because I know this will help my social problems ideally part time.

So I went in for an interview for an admin rold which was way below what I was being paid before, it is 7.50 hr.
However since i have not worked in a while i am prepared for lower pay.

I have been called back by the job to say i have not been selected for the admin role but there's another role which is to work in the basement putting tags on clothes and some other stuff. Its a dry cleaners.

Should i take this? I am going in for a trial run.

Plus another bad factor is there is no where to park without it costing £5 a day.

Redbulladdict Wed 11-May-16 12:19:56

Sorry this is more wwyd

sonjadog Wed 11-May-16 12:22:13

Do you want to do the job? Do you need to do this job financially?

oldmum22 Wed 11-May-16 12:23:38

Normally I would say ,go for it , but I think this would not be a good move for you ,in your circumstances. You are obviously a very capable woman, who happens to have a mental illness, I think working a mundane job in a windowless environment will not help you. I also think the £5 car parking per day , means you have nearly worked an hour for free, just to park your car.
Hang on in there, the right job will come ,it just isn't this one in my opinion .
HTH

Redbulladdict Wed 11-May-16 12:23:46

I do want a job as I know it will help me, financially I am okay due to my partner but I will like my own income.

Muskateersmummy Wed 11-May-16 12:24:09

Depends, would you enjoy it? And could you afford it with the parking expense? If no to either of these don't take it and keep looking if you can afford to

sonjadog Wed 11-May-16 12:27:53

It sounds like you should take it then. If it would help you feel better about yourself and give you an income, then go for it. It doesn't have to be forever, but it might give you a chance to build your confidence and get back into working again. You can always change to a job that suits your interests and educational background better in a year or two. or you may find out that you would rather keep doing what you are doing. I know many people who have found happiness at work doing someting completely different from what they had planned when they were younger.

sonjadog Wed 11-May-16 12:29:00

It also depends on your area and how many other job opportunities there are.

QuiteLikely5 Wed 11-May-16 12:29:17

Very nice of them but I wouldn't go from administrator to dry cleaning lady however at the end of the day money is money regardless of the job that's paying you

pinkdelight Wed 11-May-16 12:40:09

But she's not an administrator at present, quite, she's just been doing Avon for most of the past year, so I'd see this as a way back into the workplace. Depending on how your issues affect you, it sounds like it could be a good way back in, without too much stress or public-facing responsibilities. But then if you want more contact then it could be too cut-off. So on that side of things, only you would know best. But in answer to your main question, I would take it, as it's not so much about being qualified for the role at this stage as getting back into work, and as the advice always goes, it's easier to get a job when you already have one, so you could take it, find your feet, and then start applying for roles you feel more suited to.

ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 11-May-16 12:49:37

I would take it on the basis you are not working at the moment and managing financially so if you take it then have to leave because you hate it you have not lost anything. Also it may be a starting point to get you back to a job you want. You can keep applying for admin jobs whilst in this job. Is there somewhere further away you can park for free and then walk in or can anyone drop you and pick you up? Maybe ask if anyone already work there wants to car share?

ChicRock Wed 11-May-16 12:52:45

I'm not sure working in a basement ?on your own? will be very good at all for your mental health.

TantrumsAndBalloons Wed 11-May-16 12:53:32

I don't know, I've recently left my job and am job hunting.
I was offered a job I was over qualified for with just a slight pay cut which wouldn't have made any difference to our household income

I went in for a trial day and I knew it wasn't for me at all.

Can you do a trial and see what you think?

Redbulladdict Wed 11-May-16 13:59:17

I'm going to do the trial but my partner doesnt want me to take it as it won't make much of a difference to our income.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now