Talk

Advanced search

to cancel my therapy session this afternoon after waiting 5 months for help

(43 Posts)
soap34 Wed 11-May-16 12:01:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeaStory Wed 11-May-16 12:03:10

Have you told your therapist how bad you feel in-session? It seems like the kind of "immediate" thing that can be worked on.

If you can't find a counsellor who does home visits, would online (video or email) counselling be something you'd like to try?

soap34 Wed 11-May-16 12:06:58

exWifebeginsat40 Wed 11-May-16 12:08:55

when I was struggling with anxiety there was a website called Mood Gym which did basic CBT. the doctor could also log in and see my progress. I don't know if it's still about but something like this might help in he short term to get you to your sessions.

try and go today. talk to your therapist and see what the options are.

anxiety is awful but there are coping skills you can learn. you've done the worst hit by asking for help. has your GP talked about medication options?

I hope you start to feel a bit better soon.

exWifebeginsat40 Wed 11-May-16 12:09:56

the worst *bit

Enoughisenough9 Wed 11-May-16 12:10:16

I'm free for an hour. I can talk to you here every step of the way. What's the first step you need to take?

soap34 Wed 11-May-16 12:13:18

LizKeen Wed 11-May-16 12:14:55

You have done so well in getting to the first two sessions though.

You speak about that negatively...you barely made it, you couldn't go in etc. But you were there. You took the steps to get there even though it was really fucking hard. That strength came from somewhere, you should be so proud of yourself.

I don't think you should miss today's, but that is easy for me to say, isn't it. Is there someone who could go with you? Could you get a taxi?

Enoughisenough9 Wed 11-May-16 12:15:54

You're brilliant and brave. Remember to keep your breathing steady. Good luck.

soap34 Wed 11-May-16 12:16:43

dowhatnow Wed 11-May-16 12:18:20

Oh bless you. Can you get someone to drive you so you just have to get out of the door and not worry about anything else? Or even get a taxi?

lemmein Wed 11-May-16 12:19:28

Aw OP I really feel for you, I had the same problem about 10 years ago, sad that the services haven't caught up to working around people's illnesses.

I only attended one session (so you're doing better than me!) They were right in the middle of a busy shopping centre hmm I don't understand why mental health services cannot plan locations better to accommodate their clients?

Have you tried Moodgym online? It's a free CBT course - it's quite good really, but you do have to do the exercises, obviously. Also if you can get a copy of Mind Over Mood - I found that quite helpful.

I know how debilitating this can be, and how hopeless the situation feels but you CAN get through this. I barely left the house for 10 years, I've just finished my 2nd year at uni. I'm not sure what changed it for me tbh, I didn't give CBT a chance to work with the counsellor but I did do it st home. I also started listening to hypnotherapy apps - not sure what it was that did it but I'm loads better now (still have those days occasionally tho!)

Maybe try yoga and meditation too? I do Adriennes yoga on YouTube, really helps you to relax - also mindfulness, you can listen to guided meditation/mindfulness on YouTube too so worth a go.

If all else fails you could try propanolol to take the edge off the anxiety?

Massive hugs to ya, it's exhausting constantly battling with your own brain but you can do this - don't stress about today, it's one bad day, don't dwell on it, you'll get there in your own time flowers

lemmein Wed 11-May-16 12:29:05

Oops cross posted with lots of you and have seen you're already on propanolol blush

Forgot to mention a book by David Burns called 'Feeling Good' which I found really helpful. From your posts OP you do sound like you minimise your achievements a little bit (not a criticism flowers) Attending CBT sessions IS hard, getting help is hard, battling with your brain IS hard - try to not minimise those tiny steps you make along the way. Even now you're saying you'll try to go today - that's a MASSIVE deal, even if you don't manage it its huge that you're still considering it despite how you're feeling.

Nothing's a fluke, you'll get through this because of those tiny steps, try to acknowledge them on the way smile Keep a journal if it helps - I read back my CBT sheets now and it makes me realise how ill I was and how far I've come. Because it's a gradual, slow process you often forget how you were - writing it down and looking over it every month or so will hopefully help you see your own progress to being well.

soap34 Wed 11-May-16 12:37:11

DistanceCall Wed 11-May-16 12:40:40

Did anything happen to trigger it, do you think, OP?

soap34 Wed 11-May-16 12:41:12

Facilitator Wed 11-May-16 12:47:22

Can someone take you instead of you be worried about parking / money / driving?

I'm free this afternoon, I'll take you 😊

DistanceCall Wed 11-May-16 12:47:32

What do you think? Was there any particular thing that stands out in your mind?

Facilitator Wed 11-May-16 12:47:55

*being

Fragglewump Wed 11-May-16 12:50:10

Don't cancel........you need to sort this out and if you don't go then they will remove you from the waiting list and you'll be back to square one. Please go - counselling makes things feel worse before they get better. You can do this.

bigbluebus Wed 11-May-16 13:16:47

I understand how you feel OP - this is clearly a problem with therapy services. I needed CBT for anxiety linked to driving - which just came on suddenly after 32 years with an unblemished driving record. I had a panic attack on a motorway, thought I was having a stroke at first. I managed to get myself home eventually and the feelings all went within 10 minutes of getting home - but I only had to look at the car on the drive and think about going out in it and the panic returned.

I was referred for CBT and was told the NHS could be a 6 month wait so I looked at private therapists. The only accredited ones in the area were 28 miles away in an area that had no public transport links from where I lived. I had no one to give me a lift as everyone was at work. Thankfully it turned out the NHS wait was only 1 month at my local clinic so I got my therapy.

tangledyarn Wed 11-May-16 13:43:24

I'm a CBT therapist.. A couple of things.. can you not have the intial few sessions in the phone until you start improving? Try giving them a call and asking. Secondly, a lot of services now offer online CBT with a therapist.. So it's not computerised like mood gym there is an actual therapist in a session with you either via Skype or typing. There's a massive gap in services for people that need home visits but I would think they could offer one of these two options..if not you should make a complaint as you do have a right to some treatment. Don't just cancel as it will be seen as non engaging please try and speak to them personally by phone.
Sorry though. It sounds like you are having a rough time xx

soap34 Wed 11-May-16 13:58:07

shiveringhiccup Wed 11-May-16 14:12:56

I'm so sorry you're struggling so much sad That's a tough place to be in.

Can you call the counselling place and ask the counsellor to do today's session over the phone? If you can try it rather than just not turning up, otherwise it'll be harder to get other help. Use the call to discuss other options - alternative venue, phone/ skype sessions, strategies to help you get there.

Would it be worth considering counselling first before the CBT? Sounds like it could be helpful to talk through what's happened, triggers, the impact it's had on you and your life and self esteem. Most of all it sounds like it could help to feel you have someone cheering you on whose on your side.

You're doing amazing, every day. This is difficult stuff. flowerschocolate

Trooperslane Wed 11-May-16 14:16:15

Listen to tangledyarn - makes a lot of sense.

Have been there OP. Fully functioning, holding down a high pressured job and THUMP.

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now